Archived Starbucks and requisitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean other food prep areas? You may have more experience than I do if you are referring to a Target bakery or something, but I can't think of any single situation in a Target Cafe where they would have to get ingredients from the sales floor. Gloves, paper towels, maybe, but not ingredients.
Like I said before, if a guest asks for a cup of Casa Cielo coffee and all they have is a bag of coffee that is normally sold to a guest, they open it and brew the guest a cup. Why should this be requisitioned? Its not for store use.

One quick example--we have run out of our ordered hot dog buns and needed some from salesfloor for the Cafe. It does happen.

Anyway, just to clarify, Isis, are you saying that if a bag of coffee were opened because a guest wanted to taste it Starbucks would not, for reasons perhaps unique to Starbucks, QMOS that bag under sampling as they would in any other food area? And they are not obligated to account for them any other way? (I'm asking for serious--I'm not doubting your expertise).

My CTL confirmed what was Isis stated. Our dairy guy will come over & make a list of what we need then & there but simply tells us to pull from the back otherwise. They make the adjustments accordingly & we are NOT to req milk.
BTW when you req something, you're removing it from sales inventory for store/discretionary use - not for something to be sold to guests.
QMOS is only for throwing away product, not opening it for use.

Last edited:
One quick example--we have run out of our ordered hot dog buns and needed some from salesfloor for the Cafe. It does happen.

Anyway, just to clarify, Isis, are you saying that if a bag of coffee were opened because a guest wanted to taste it Starbucks would not, for reasons perhaps unique to Starbucks, QMOS that bag under sampling as they would in any other food area? And they are not obligated to account for them any other way? (I'm asking for serious--I'm not doubting your expertise).

You're right about the buns, I've done that before too. It slipped my mind.
This is where I'm unsure, to be honest with you. I don't know if it makes sense to QMOS it under sampling, b/c the guest does pay for the cup they ordered. And if it were me opening the bag, I would try to get rid of it in another way rather than just throwing it away. I would ask other guests if they want a cup of it, possibly start brewing it as the "bold" roast, if appropriate, maybe even sample it. What I do know, if when the SBTL does there inventory every 3 mos, they do account for it. I don't know how though. I'm not sure if they simply adjust counts, QMOS what's not actually there or what. I'm thinking AP maybe doesn't look at shortages for food service? I don't know. With regards to requisitioning though, it just doesn't make sense to requisition something we are going to then make a profit off of.. I get it with bread(buns), b/c most, if not all, bread is considered "scan-based" meaning the bread vendors don't make money until it sells. If we just took it off the floor, the bread vendor wouldn't get paid for it, so its a little different than milk.

I know you've mentioned how would Target know if the milk was used to SB or just walked out the door? I am guessing they don't, but the amount of milk that is actual shrink is so negligible that it doesn't matter. I just know tracking how much milk is sold vs how much is left is a better way to track than requisitioning. Target's requisitioning system doesn't allow you to track how the money was spent. There is a recognition account, and a store use account. If the milk is requisitioned for store use, whose to say what went to SB and what went to the break room for a fun event?

Maybe it's a Starbucks thing but we don't QMOS for sampling.
They've beat it into us that QMOS is ONLY for outdates/damaged/out of temp.

You're right about the buns, I've done that before too. It slipped my mind.
This is where I'm unsure, to be honest with you. I don't know if it makes sense to QMOS it under sampling, b/c the guest does pay for the cup they ordered. And if it were me opening the bag, I would try to get rid of it in another way rather than just throwing it away. I would ask other guests if they want a cup of it, possibly start brewing it as the "bold" roast, if appropriate, maybe even sample it. What I do know, if when the SBTL does there inventory every 3 mos, they do account for it. I don't know how though. I'm not sure if they simply adjust counts, QMOS what's not actually there or what. I'm thinking AP maybe doesn't look at shortages for food service? I don't know. With regards to requisitioning though, it just doesn't make sense to requisition something we are going to then make a profit off of.. I get it with bread(buns), b/c most, if not all, bread is considered "scan-based" meaning the bread vendors don't make money until it sells. If we just took it off the floor, the bread vendor wouldn't get paid for it, so its a little different than milk.

I know you've mentioned how would Target know if the milk was used to SB or just walked out the door? I am guessing they don't, but the amount of milk that is actual shrink is so negligible that it doesn't matter. I just know tracking how much milk is sold vs how much is left is a better way to track than requisitioning. Target's requisitioning system doesn't allow you to track how the money was spent. There is a recognition account, and a store use account. If the milk is requisitioned for store use, whose to say what went to SB and what went to the break room for a fun event?

I think you're overthinking it... Sure, sampling can be done under QMOS, and since Milk would be vendor, its not so important in that case.. However for any other item(s) they should be requisitioned to keep counts accurate, and to financially account for the supplies "taken" from the sales floor... There are a lot more accts than those 2, There is 601000 (default) which is office supplies, 549000 team recog, and 619000 operating supplies... Even if the items requisitioned are being used as ingredients for "recognition", they should still be reqd out of 619000, then the finished products should be reqd out of 549000. Taking product from the floor without req'ing it is basically stealing since that merchandise isn't being paid/accounted for. Most TLs/ETLs at my store don't even know how to requistion properly, so it wouldn't surprise me if best practices aren't always being followed (goes for other stores as well).

@Red, afaik QMOS for sampling is best practice, we do it in food ave at my store, and theres an actual option for that reason in the QMOS app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, but you can't just "steal" (for the lack of a better term) milk out of the coolers. All product needs to be accounted for, or else you risk messing with AP shortage indicators. Doesn't matter if it's $4 or $400. Policy (and I'll bet the best practice, too) says to requisition any milk taken from the sales floor for Starbucks use.

This is not correct, All Dairy product used for starbucks, as long at it's the vendor serviced Market Pantry, Whipping cream, half and half etc. should NOT be requisitioned.

I think you're overthinking it... Sure, sampling can be done under QMOS, and since Milk would be vendor, its not so important in that case.. However for any other item(s) they should be requisitioned to keep counts accurate, and to financially account for the supplies "taken" from the sales floor... There are a lot more accts than those 2, There is 601000 (default) which is office supplies, 549000 team recog, and 619000 operating supplies... Even if the items requisitioned are being used as ingredients for "recognition", they should still be reqd out of 619000, then the finished products should be reqd out of 549000. Taking product from the floor without req'ing it is basically stealing since that merchandise isn't being paid/accounted for. Most TLs/ETLs at my store don't even know how to requistion properly, so it wouldn't surprise me if best practices aren't always being followed (goes for other stores as well).

@Red, afaik QMOS for sampling is best practice, we do it in food ave at my store, and theres an actual option for that reason in the QMOS app.

The fact that milk is vendor isn't exactly the reason. You should req vendor product if its used for recognition and whatnot. It has to do with how the milk is accounted for by the vendor. I don't understand why you would requisition product you are going to sell. It doesn't make sense to me. Requisitioning isn't a "Target" thing, its an accounting thing and it just doesn't make sense to have product accounted for like that to me. Nobody is going out to market and grabbing a bag of coffee. This is all being done from within Starbucks.

Last edited:
Dear OP--
I'm sorry we took your really simple question and gave it a very complicated answer. You are probably more confused than ever. Best of luck to you and the rest of your Starbucks team. If you ever find the answer to your question please share it with us. We don't seem to know what we are doing.

Sincerely

ST

Dear OP--
I'm sorry we took your really simple question and gave it a very complicated answer. You are probably more confused than ever. Best of luck to you and the rest of your Starbucks team. If you ever find the answer to your question please share it with us. We don't seem to know what we are doing.

Sincerely

ST

I thanked you, but your comment had me laughing out loud. You're right and I second the apology. I still want to get to the bottom of this though!

*sigh*

I'll pull the best practice when I'm in again tomorrow night and we'll put this to rest.

Close. They base what they bring in off of how much Starbucks uses, but they don't order specifically for Starbucks. I'm also a past CTL guys. I'm not just making uninformed guesses with these things.

This makes sense to me. Thanks!

From what I remember about FA, you are not to ever substitute another brand or product for an out-of-stock item as Target would be liable for preparing and selling a non-brand item. My FA used to run out of oil and popcorn and chicken tenders on occasion. We used to go to the nearest Restaurant Food Service wholesaler to req these items. But then we told, if we run out...we run out. We could no longer substitute the items.

As for StarBucks items, if it is a Consumables ordered item then it does not need to be req'ed. If ordered through POS, it does need to be req'ed.

Just my 2 cents, never requisition milk for Starbucks, it is accounted for on a per drink basis, and the vendor is paid accordingly. Any thing else pulled off the sales floor should be requisitioned to the 917 food supplies account. Use expense center 2820 for Target Cafe, and 2825 for Starbucks. This will directly post to that departments controllable expenses on the SCCR report at the end of the month.

I thanked you, but your comment had me laughing out loud. You're right and I second the apology. I still want to get to the bottom of this though!

LOL--Thanks! I also want to know what the right answer too, but this thread was just getting so ridiculous I couldn't help myself. Target is a control-freak company. There's a best practice for EVERYTHING, but sometimes it's ridiculously hard to find out what it is. They should have something like a research librarian--a resource you can use to get answers to questions like this one without having to spend endless hours of your life trying to track it down only to be left uncertain you really have the right one. With the high level of turnover the retail world experiences, knowledge and experience are constantly walking out the door. New TMs need reliable, easy to access resources that help them do their job right.

Last edited:
ETL over consumables confirmed that the vendor accounts for the milk.
@ Imerzan: I did see the sample option under QMOS but, for the life of me, my TL doesn't use it.

Extremely long story short-- we've had a Starbucks in our store for a very short period of time and have gone through a handful of team leads. Our management team in general is very young and inexperienced... so basically fill in the blanks.

We've got a pretty big debate going on at our store about what should be done when a Starbucks product that is intended to be sold needs to be used behind the counter. For example, we've been having an issue getting in the 5lb bullets of decaf Pike, so we've been using the 1lb bag. I say we should be requisitioning it before using it-- otherwise it would show as shortage. Someone else says it should be QMOS'd. The current team lead doesn't think anything needs to be done since it's all really within Starbucks.

We really haven't been able to find anything about it on Workbench and when trying to contact other stores around us we're sent through an endless loop of "oh I don't know I'll have to have the team lead call you when she gets in" and it never happens, etc.

Good lord someone clarify, please!

All retail items (ex: 1lb coffee bag), are to be QMOS if being used for a guest order, ex: the pick of the week is house blend but the all you have is 1lb retail bags. The bags will need to be QMOS as sampling but if it’s the bullets bag since it is not retail you do not have to QMOS them. Since the system take into consideration that you will be using use the product. With milk corporate sends the vendor an estimate based on how much milk you will be needing based on sales and volume of your Starbucks. It should be only market pantry; if you take other brands of milk it will be considered a loss or shortage. If this is the case you should be talking to your milk vendor weekly to ensure that they are upping your order of the certain market pantry milk product you need. If you aren’t or your team is not follow QMOSing to the tee don’t worry about it. TINV is done 4 times a year and helps with taking care of anything is missed. Since this a food service dept our number on hand can change so frequently that there is not a huge focus on getting QMOS done daily and we can get away with it (Target Café/ Starbucks) and not be hassled by the FBP, unlike P-Fresh. But remember it is best practice to do it every night :wink2: so the company can see what is selling and what is not.

All retail items (ex: 1lb coffee bag), are to be QMOS if being used for a guest order, ex: the pick of the week is house blend but the all you have is 1lb retail bags. The bags will need to be QMOS as sampling but if it’s the bullets bag since it is not retail you do not have to QMOS them. Since the system take into consideration that you will be using use the product. With milk corporate sends the vendor an estimate based on how much milk you will be needing based on sales and volume of your Starbucks. It should be only market pantry; if you take other brands of milk it will be considered a loss or shortage. If this is the case you should be talking to your milk vendor weekly to ensure that they are upping your order of the certain market pantry milk product you need. If you aren’t or your team is not follow QMOSing to the tee don’t worry about it. TINV is done 4 times a year and helps with taking care of anything is missed. Since this a food service dept our number on hand can change so frequently that there is not a huge focus on getting QMOS done daily and we can get away with it (Target Café/ Starbucks) and not be hassled by the FBP, unlike P-Fresh. But remember it is best practice to do it every night :wink2: so the company can see what is selling and what is not.

Sounds about right! Thanks for the clear-up.

Right, but you can't just "steal" (for the lack of a better term) milk out of the coolers. All product needs to be accounted for, or else you risk messing with AP shortage indicators. Doesn't matter if it's $4 or $400. Policy (and I'll bet the best practice, too) says to requisition any milk taken from the sales floor for Starbucks use.

This might explain a few things I see on food dashboard in terms of actual shortage. I really hate it when SBTMs pull from the dairy that was just delivered instead of from the front. They'll use that dairy product to make their sugary drinks well before the use by date.

So, why the hell are you in my coolers taking milk just delivered today when you can pull from doors just like every other guest? Now, I'm starting to wonder if they even properly req this milk they're taking. God forbid, it cannot be market pantry brand milk! It must be (insert premium priced brand of milk here, even though it's exactly the same thing as MP but under a diff label)

This might explain a few things I see on food dashboard in terms of actual shortage. I really hate it when SBTMs pull from the dairy that was just delivered instead of from the front. They'll use that dairy product to make their sugary drinks well before the use by date.

So, why the hell are you in my coolers taking milk just delivered today when you can pull from doors just like every other guest? Now, I'm starting to wonder if they even properly req this milk they're taking. God forbid, it cannot be market pantry brand milk! It must be (insert premium priced brand of milk here, even though it's exactly the same thing as MP but under a diff label)

Well...I'd say the best answer for you is its best practice. Do you really want to fill your coolers a couple of MORE times a week just b/c Starbucks is pulling from the coolers? It just creates more work for you and less milk on the floor for the guest. If you're really worried about it, learn the milk delivery times and ask Starbucks to stock the milk right before the new delivery. I had a lot of luck with this method. And trust me, milk doesn't come up on your b% mark-downs....or any other score you receive. Its the vendors problem, not yours. No, they don't probably requisition the milk they take, b/c it doesn't get requisitioned. That has been determined if you read the thread.

On another note, if your team is using premium brand for their skim, whole or 2% milk, they should be corrected. However, they are not allowed to use private label (MP) for their half and half or whipping cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back