Archived Starbucks Opening for a visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I'll be opening tomorrow by myself for the first time, my trainer started to NCNS during my training. I have a big visit for starbucks tomorrow. SBX veterans, any tips? I have the main gist of opening, though I might be missing some smaller things. Any tips/advice is appreciated.

The following is my personal notes on my phone on how to open:
-turn on oven
-brew dark and pike's coffee
-brew teas - passion, green, raspberry and black
-brew iced coffees - 2 sets full brew
-pastries - wrap them up
-mocha - 1L of water then the bag then 1L
-coffee base - frap 3 follow instructions
-steam wands
-milk for guests
-chai and opera chai

let me know what i can add

Not sure what raspberry tea is, unless it's some test item at your store.

I can't think of anything else, other than grinding decaf pike and veranda for pour overs (and dark too while you're at it, but that can wait until later when you stop brewing it). Oh, run cleaning tablets through the espresso machine.

Not sure what raspberry tea is, unless it's some test item at your store.

I can't think of anything else, other than grinding decaf pike and veranda for pour overs (and dark too while you're at it, but that can wait until later when you stop brewing it). Oh, run cleaning tablets through the espresso machine.

sorry, there is no such thing as blackberry team hehe. idk why i put that there. Can you run me through the process of running a cleaning tablet through the espresso machine?

sorry, there is no such thing as blackberry team hehe. idk why i put that there. Can you run me through the process of running a cleaning tablet through the espresso machine?
pull the grounds drawer out. behind it, there is a little round key. if you rotate it and pull it out, you can fit two cleaning tablets in it. put it back in, replace the drawer, and hit the rinse button to start the cleaning cycle.

You will also put the beans in the espresso machine, and run 3 sets of double shots. Make sure the shots are running 18 - 23 seconds and calibrate if necessary.

From our Starbucks guide:
New Team Member
Starbucks Walktrough
Opening (Daily and Closing Activities in following posts:

I broke this up in multiple posts because it's be a lot to absorb in just one.

7:30 - clock in
7:32 - take down chairs from all tables, turn on all lights, including the light to the Starbucks sign if you have one. The closer should have left all the floormats for you in a shopping cart. Take them out, and line them along the floors behind your counter.

7:38 or so - (Important): Open the espresso machine. There should be two little levers at underneath the top part of the machine. If you follow your hands back from the steaming wands on the right side and the part where the espresso comes out on the left, you should fine two little levers that you can pull toward yourself to move the cover up.

You should see two containers of espresso beans, one for regular and one for decaf. Each of these should have a little metal lever. Pull the lever from straight up and down to perpendicular on each, then close the cover the same way you opened it.

Turn the machine on: There should be a button on the lower right hand side underneath the tray that catches the coffee.

Pull three shots of espresso. Time the third shot. The third shot should be between 17 and 21 seconds. If not, it will need to be calibrated, which is a whole different issue. If anybody needs information on calibration, post here.

7:43 or so - Brew iced tea. Pour hot water in a two liter pitcher for each of the three types of tea bags (passion, green, and black) Let it steep for a while. If you have extra time before the morning regulars hit, try to remove the bags. Not doing so will leave guests with weak tea, because all of the strong stuff will be concentrated under the bags. Label and date the teas. They last all day.

7:47 or so - Plate pastries. If the closer was nice, they should already be in the cooler defrosted and already plated. If this is the case, just find the correct labels and put them in the case. If not, you'll have to take the thawed pastries, plate them on the platters yourself before putting them up. If the closer is just plain evil, they won't even have defrosted the pastries for you, and you'll have to do that first before plating, but that shouldn't happen.

7:50 - Brew Iced coffee. Use a regular filter, a specially made iced coffee bag, and brew it at the "half brew" setting. Add two Venti scoops of ice, label and date it. Iced coffee goes bad at 3 and close.

7:53 - Fill half and half container(s) and set out for guests. Set timer for 4 hours.

7:55 - Fill sanitizer bottle (lasts all day) and sanitizer for the steam wands (last two hours, set timer)

Use the remaining time to grind coffee at the medium grinder setting, brew your first cup of coffee, (timer lasts 30 minutes), check to make sure nothing is out of date, and remove tea bags from iced tea if time.

Periodically check tables, coffee, sanitizer, and cream timers to make sure that everything is taken care of.

Check the temperatures of your cooler at 11am and 5pm. Mark everything in the book they have provided for you.

Re-brew new iced coffee at 3pm.

(Other duties that should be done in no particular order):

Plate/thaw pastries for the morning shift.
Label, date, and put away items if the store receives truck that day.
Ensure that ice is filled, syrup bottles aren't empty, whip creams are not about to run out, milk is stocked.
Make and hand out drink samples, then record them in the book.
Complete a Starbucks values walk
Finish any side work mentioned in the daily books.

Yramlvstarbucks, Jun 12, 2011

Even more stuff:

First off, did you receive a Barista Basics Learning Journal? If not, you should ask for it, it's very helpful.

Also, as unrealistic for Target as it is. You should be learning the following things in this order:
First Impressions & Customer Service, Starbucks Experience, Coffee: Brewing & Tasting, Espresso Bar Basics, Food & Warming, Beverage Essentials, Cold Beverages, Coffee: Growing & Processing, Point of Sale, Beverage Preparation, Customer Service Essentials, Coffee: Roasting & Packaging.

Doing so really helps with correct training and ensures you're not overwhelmed with things to try to remember.

Another thing: there are NO dumb questions! Don't ever feel bad about asking questions. The simplest question may have a complicated and detailed answer!

And yes, as the others have said, Target employees cannot accept tips.

Sampling drinks, as in you trying them? We're supposed to when you're being trained, so you know how the drink should taste!
As for samples for guests, we're supposed to be active sampling throughout the day. We even have a sampling calendar and # of samples we're supposed to do a day.
I just finished my AST (Advanced Store Training), so feel free to throw questions at me and everyone here!

This is dated info so you'll need to sort thru what applies to your store.
Espresso machines & brew stations are never turned off, cream pitchers are now timed for two hours vs four, steamer wands are cleaned with wipes just for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back