Archived Starbucks Team Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I just got a job as a Starbucks Team Leader in one of the new stores opening in British Columbia! I don't start my orientation until March 4th because I had a vacation planned , I was already pleasantly surprised about how they handled my vacation and worked with me to make sure it wasn't a problem. Anyway I feel like I haven't got much of an idea as to what I would really be doing on a day to day basis so I thought maybe I could get some information from you guys.

So if anyone knows what kind of things a Starbucks Team Leader does every day I'd love to hear. Do they spend a lot of time making drinks? Do I work anywhere else in the store? I just haven't been able to find a lot of information so I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Hey Redeye, we've got a sucker ... I mean student for you.
Seriously Red is the espresso master, should be able to help you out.

Welcome to the Breakroom.

Welcome! Hey red! You have backup now! Train them well! Trapped in box with adventure drinks made all day long. Learn everything, it can lead to other things outside of spot.

Hey everyone, I just got a job as a Starbucks Team Leader in one of the new stores opening in British Columbia! I don't start my orientation until March 4th because I had a vacation planned , I was already pleasantly surprised about how they handled my vacation and worked with me to make sure it wasn't a problem. Anyway I feel like I haven't got much of an idea as to what I would really be doing on a day to day basis so I thought maybe I could get some information from you guys.

So if anyone knows what kind of things a Starbucks Team Leader does every day I'd love to hear. Do they spend a lot of time making drinks? Do I work anywhere else in the store? I just haven't been able to find a lot of information so I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Yes, most of your day will consist of making drinks. You'll also be responsible for ordering supplies and scheduling. On top of that, you'll need to build their new sets and provide frequent training to your team members, as Starbucks is constantly coming out with new drinks and promotions. Stay on top of those promotions! Sometimes, Target Starbucks don't participate in regular Starbucks promotions. Make sure your team knows which is which. I'd recommend a communication binder so your team can help you out by letting you know what you're running out of, and you can let your team know of any new promotions, in case you don't see them one-on-one.

Each day, one person (this should probably be you, if you're working) will fill out something called a brand walk. You basically walk your area and make sure everything is up to Starbuck's standards. Specific cleaning lists should be done each day, week and month. I would recommend delegating the big cleaning projects (like cleaning the espresso machine) to your team, but make sure you are fully comfortable with the cleaning as well. If you take on too much, you'll over work yourself.

If I had to guess, I would say you'll have plenty of team members under you in the beginning, so you'll be able to focus on the other stuff (ordering, schedules), but as time goes on, and Target establishes themselves, you could possibly find yourself alone for most of you shifts. As you build trust in your team, I would teach them all how to order, in case you're sick one day (make sure they know the order schedules). Recognize the hell out of them as you teach them this stuff though, or they'll think you're taking advantage of them (also, don't take advantage of them, you should be doing most of the ordering, but they can help out).

Starbucks puts a HUGE importance on making connections with the guests that come to you. You'll want to make sure you have a team willing to do that, or they will not succeed. You'll want to memorize names, drinks, and faces as quickly as possible. Always make the drink right for the guest. If they forgot to order decaf, but they want it, remake it.

You probably won't spend a whole lot of time outside of Starbucks unless you fight for it. If you really want to get out to the rest of the store, make it very well known. To start out, I would recommend getting a good handle on GSTL-ing (front end supervisor) and the other Food Service team lead's job. You can branch out from there.

Good luck. I worked in Starbucks for quite a while, and I am currently a team lead, though I've never been a Starbucks team lead. I would be happy to answer any questions for you.

Last edited:
I started in FA but they've been gradually moving me to SB.
As Teamlead, you'll be expected to do/know everything your team does: making drinks, bringing up/unloading the order, keeping supplies well-stocked during peak times (Frap supplies during summer promos, mochas/syrups during holiday season), Steritech protocols, opening/closing procedures, etc. You'll be expected to go through the same training as a barista for Starbucks but you will be employed by spot. You'll have an ETL over your area but you will most likely have a SB district person to answer to as well.
If you have specific questions, you can PM me.

I'm not a SB TM or TL but I worked at FA for quite awhile and became very familiar with the SB TLs core roles.

You will be a SB TM with the added duties of a TL. You'll work shifts just like every sb TM and will get a little time to step way for office work but most of the time you'll be behind the counter. You'll report to the ETL GE but mostly to a local SB district manager who will make sure you're keeping things brand. (SB is so much more hands on about this then say, Pizza Hut, who only visits once or twice a year). The SB manager would come at least once a month.

You'll have to manage your team well because slackers stick out a lot more and make life rough for everyone if you're not careful. You'll probably not learn any other areas except FA to help cover shifts and the FA TLs vacations (so you can manage operations while they are away).

You'll do all the ordering, but that is simple.

I lead both Food Ave and Starbucks. On the Starbucks side, you will be in charge of scheduling, "Walking the Vibe", talent management, meeting with your Starbucks DM, setting up new promotions and generally overseeing your area on a daily basis. Yes, you will spend most of your time behind the counter making drinks but don't forget to set aside time for yourself to do things that require you to be off stage. Good Luck!

Hey, I am also one of the new Starbucks TLs in Canada. It sounds like we're a bit further ahead than you, so I will share my experiences so far.

Expect to help out A LOT with planograms and fixture set up at first, then possibly even pushing freight etc. It is important to remember that even though your work centre is Starbucks, you are a Target Team Leader, and you have to help out in other areas too. Starbucks training takes place roughly two weeks prior to your soft-opening (unadvertised store opening) so you are likely to have several weeks to fill with other Target jobs. Try to stay positive through those weeks!!

Then you will have a someone from Starbucks come in to train you. I was able to select one team member to bring to some extra training for me, known in the Starbucks world as Advanced Store Training. They'll be your unofficial assistant and should be your standout team member; reliable, organized, etc. After that is completed, you will go through Barista training, which takes over 30 hours, with all Starbucks team members. It's a lot of fun! I think Starbucks and Targets, as companies, have been a pretty good pairing so far.

Your main responsibilities are: working at the register or bar just as your team members would, ordering for Starbucks, scheduling, developing your team members, training your TMs, you're responsible for business walks, making sure correct signing is up and that you uphold both Starbucks and Target standards. You'll also have regular scheduled and unscheduled district manager visits. You also have to make time daily to get onto the computer and check Source and your email.

You'll also have to attend the team leader meetings and interview for non-Starbucks team members. As someone else mentioned, you will have an ETL above you and a Starbucks District Manager to reach out to if needed. I recommend trying to develop a relationship with your trainer if possible as well- mine has been an excellent resource. Good luck and please let me know if I can answer anything more specific for you!

An important aside is to keep one step ahead on store/SB promotions & order accordingly:
Frappacino happy hr (aka "Frappy hr")? Make sure you order plenty of base syrups, toppings, dome lids & the like.
Holiday season? Keep plenty of holiday syrups & pastries on hand as they run out quick.
Sometimes the "regular" Starbux may run their own promos.
You'll sometimes catch grief because you can't do/have EVERYTHING that a 'regular' Starbux can/has (not to be confused with "I can has cheezburger?!").

Welcome! I've been in role about 6 months, promoting from GSA. It really is a lot of work, but I'm enjoying Starbucks so much more than the front end. It's true, it's essential that you set aside time to be offstage. While my hours are particularly low, I have one day a week that I have 2 hours in store to manage inventory, write up documentations, rotate out our "communication board", train TMs, whatever. It's a life-saver. My team understands that I have to step away sometimes, but I'm sure not abuse the privilege on shifts and come running as soon as fast service is called. I also agree about your AST, make it someone who really has their 'stuff' together. It's unclear from OP if you've been with Target before but I would imagine with a new store and team that it may be difficult to judge. I have two ASTs who help me with the many trainings that Starbucks requires. These two also help maintain the integrity of Starbuck's standards and help me recognize issues or misunderstandings that happen amongst the team so I can follow-up. In a recent lesson from my DM regarding my latest set, she said that Target is amazing at solving problems, but often these solutions fall short of Starbucks standards. Basically, either do it right or don't do it at all (be it the team, or a new set's presentation).

I'm a Starbucks Team Lead as of Nov. and what I've learned is: a) Finding time to be "off stage" to check emails, do "write ups", fill out your "Vibe Walk" is near impossible if your Dept isn't given enough hours for proper coverage: b) You'll be answering to not only the ETL's, but also to your Starbucks DM... and don't forget your TM's that you want to keep happy: C) Starbucks and Food Ave are extremely hard areas to get out of once you become a TL there. I've gathered this info from other TL's from other Targets that I've encountered: and finally D) Make friends with nearby Target Starbucks/Food Ave Team Leads and also other Starbucks Store Managers so that you can borrow items that you happen to run out of and vice versa - VERY IMPORTANT!

Hello **waves** and let me say how grateful I am to have found this site. I am a recent transfer to SBTL from being a GSA for the last year with Target. At first I was really excited for the opportunity to "develope" myself, but over the last month I am just wondering if I have locked myself in a hole. I like the job for the most part, although I realize it will take me some time to get into the swing of things. I am also very fortunate to have a great DM who seems to really like me and a very supportive ETL and other exec staff. I guess I am just having problems with time management and being away from the bar (which seems to irritate the crap out of my team). I have tried to schedule my other responsibilities when we are fully staffed and during a slower period so as to not put a burden on the one/ones behind the counter, but there is so much to get done with the learning plan required tests, ordering, and most time consuming...checking in the truck order and being able to put it away completely. I used to love going to work. I could run the front end like no one else. Every LOD wanted me on their shift. Now I just feel like an afterthought...somewhat of a failure. I am an extremely positive person...always...no matter what. I just feel like no one understands what I am going through. and I am really discouraged to think is this what I have to look forward to.

Thanks for hearing me out. any words of encouragement would be very much appreciated. also one question.....how long did it take you to complete AST certification? Thanks again!!

welcome! dont give up, yet. hang in there! being SBTL can lead to bigger things for you, outside of spot.

on ast cert, i think its 8 hours to complete?
hey red, i need some help on that answer.

Keep your head up! I'm just shy of a year being a Stbx TL and it wasn't an easy transition for me (I worked everywhere in HL and some SL). Your DM will likely want you to read over the AST material before they get there (be sure it's the updated AST certification binder and kit) and the amount of time depends on what your DM wants you to get out of it. Mine was maybe 5 hours. Don't let it stress you. Do you have any TMs AST certified?

You may have a few "opportunities" in the beginning and it is incredibly easy to feel isolated behind the counter. Keep strong.

We are months into our opening in our store in Ontario. The biggest piece of advice I can give is train your team really well. Make a ton of drinks for team members during your POG set, sign set, and display set. By the time your store soft opens your team should know how to make the more popular drinks without using the cheat cards.

Sorry for the delay & it's been answered but AST can vary from 4-8 hrs depending on how you learn (scan vs immersion).
Make an outline for yourself with columns for weekly duties, ongoing tasks & things that you just need to get out of the way. Try to structure your off-stage time around this. Also helpful is to go thru your team to update availability, hr preferences, strengths & weaknesses to determine who your stronger ones are & how they can help in strengthening the not-so-strong.
If you have a close working relationship with your FA/target cafe TL, arrange to cross-train your TMs. Our teams had complained about low hrs so we embarked on a cross-training mission so it would be easier for them to pick up shifts. The added benefit was coverage for when TMs needed time off or emergencies arose.
Both TLs brought this up when reviews rolled around & gave everyone good marks as a result.

Sorry for the delay & it's been answered but AST can vary from 4-8 hrs depending on how you learn (scan vs immersion).
Make an outline for yourself with columns for weekly duties, ongoing tasks & things that you just need to get out of the way. Try to structure your off-stage time around this. Also helpful is to go thru your team to update availability, hr preferences, strengths & weaknesses to determine who your stronger ones are & how they can help in strengthening the not-so-strong.
If you have a close working relationship with your FA/target cafe TL, arrange to cross-train your TMs. Our teams had complained about low hrs so we embarked on a cross-training mission so it would be easier for them to pick up shifts. The added benefit was coverage for when TMs needed time off or emergencies arose.
Both TLs brought this up when reviews rolled around & gave everyone good marks as a result.

Would AST be good for pfresh folks?

AST Starbucks TM's are basically what a GSA is to a GSTL, they are the Starbucks TL's right hand if they are trained properly. Every department should have a TM that they can call upon if an issue arises, they can be the ones that help solve an issue or know exactly what to do, such as speaking with leadership, placing work orders or even handling corporate visits such as the Starbucks DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back