Archived Starbucks TMs, what do you need to know when you start a shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Starbucks TM and have noticed that communication is lacking in my store. My last TL was working to improve communication and my new one is putting a lot of effort into communicating with us. But it's difficult when there's only 1 TL and 1 FSA and an ETL who none of us like all that much.

So, I want to partner with my TL to work on this issue. One question I feel would make communication a lot easier is: what do we need to know when we start a shift?

Here's what I have so far:
  • What sales are going on
  • What sales are coming up
  • New policies
  • New products
What are other things you feel that you need to know every shift in order to best serve guests and not go crazy?

Also, if you have any observations about what communications wise works and doesn't work at your location, that would be appreciated too!

Not sure on how SB is setup. But every Food Ave I have worked at implemented a communication board or log. In it had the FA schedule, daily and weekly cleaning/maintenance duties, observed opening/shift change conditions, inventory issues (out of product/machine down), notable changes/updates in menu/prices, step-by-step guide for opening and closing Food Ave, and vendor/maintenance contact info.

And food/fridge/freezer temps!

Off the top of my head:
*Time and Temperature Log
*Cleaning Log
*Check milks and see if you need to grab more from the dairy cooler
*Check whipped creams-always have plenty come Happy Hour time.
*Check for out of dates, or actually any date products

How new are you to Starbucks? Is there anything you are confused on or don't quite know how to do?

Sorry everyone, I don't think I was clear. I've been at Starbucks for a long time and I know about all the basics and food safety stuff. I'm going from the standpoint of day-to-day operations. As an experienced SBTM, when you come in for a shift, what information do you need?

Stuff like is there a new promotion going on/coming up? Are we out of something? If you're the opener, was there a problem with the fridge last night? Did we just add a new policy yesterday? Stuff like that.

We had a magnet/whiteboard that we posted general info on.
This is where we'd leave notes about items we've run out of, items to include on the next order, extra ordering for upcoming events (like @#$!! frappy hour), items that need a work order submitted (POS not accepting debit cards).
Our SBTL would post sales/survey scores (if we were green the whole month, we got a free drink).
For promos, you should have a binder for the Siren's Eye - it's like a monthly guide that outlines promos for the month, shows pix for focals & shelf set-ups. Usually you should get an auto-ship of promo merch (mugs, tumblers, limited-time coffee offerings, new product lines, etc). We would put those aside until the day before launch. Our SBTL would work the closing shift so he could do set-up after close.
You also need to get everyone on board about communication. Some of our evening folk would leave a note on the keyboard that "XXX is broken". They didn't notify leadership about the problem or submit a work order so we lost valuable time have to take care of it the next day.

Last edited:
I like hearing about our sales and surveys. Not all TMs care about that but I do and get to hear about them only when I ask and not even each time then. Most of the TMs don't look over the binders, either, so there is a lot of information simply not passed on.

We've had a couple of TLs who kept a spiral notebook as a communication log. Things pertinent to all TMs and the next shift in particular were written in it and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, the use of it fell by the wayside awhile back and now there is very little communication. I try to remember to tell the next person coming in, if there is one, what they need to know but when we have very little or no overlap and need to get off the clock it's difficult to remember everything. I really do like the communication log, though, and it can be used for anything and everything that needs to be passed on.

If you can't leave emails for each other the communication log is a great way to go.
The cafe people at the Big Box Bookstore did that, it also served as the journal for writing about obnoxious customers and rough nights.
They saved the filled up ones for posterity because they often had some amazing art work and poetry in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back