Archived Starting to get fed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been with target for a little over a year now and i love it. the only problem for me is the pay.
To make this long story short, ive been applying to places hoping to get hired & offered more than
7.81, which is what i make at target now. my mom is telling me im crazy for thinking about quitting
since i already have benefits and i love it there. i just cant keep working for 6 cent raises each year and
going above and beyond for people and managers that only care about their job. my tl for softlines is my mentor,
i told them i would like to stay a target for a while and work up to being a tl but i do not see that happening anytime
soon && im pretty broke as it is.

i would love some opinions about this.

Ive been with target for a little over a year now and i love it. the only problem for me is the pay.
To make this long story short, ive been applying to places hoping to get hired & offered more than
7.81, which is what i make at target now. my mom is telling me im crazy for thinking about quitting
since i already have benefits and i love it there. i just cant keep working for 6 cent raises each year and
going above and beyond for people and managers that only care about their job. my tl for softlines is my mentor,
i told them i would like to stay a target for a while and work up to being a tl but i do not see that happening anytime
soon && im pretty broke as it is.

i would love some opinions about this.

Pretty sure for min wage, getting an E is a $0.20 raise... least at my store.

Just watch your store's politics closely. They can change on a whim depending on who is in charge -- if your ETLs play favorites, and you're one of the favorites... you might have a chance to move up. Never work for your managers, work for yourself. That's not to say "slack off and do a crappy job"... but the better you make yourself feel about your job and what you're doing, the more you will impress and move on, regardless of whether you stick with Target or not.

I've nothing to offer you on Target per se.

I do agree that as much as it sucks, you do need to keep an eye on store politics and try to make friends with people who are in positions where they could help you if they wanted to.

That said, $7.81 is crap pay, even by the standards of retail.

You could make more flipping burgers.

If that's all they're willing to pay you then yes, I'd definitely be looking for another job.

I should have added, don't just quit.

If I were you, I'd be looking for another job but don't quit the one you have until you've found a new one.

$7.81 an hour isn't much, but it's better than $0 an hour.

I try to make my job fun, even on days were the LODs are on me, I turn my frown upside-down.

Plus getting paid $8 an hour is still more then someone with no job.

Try and learn other workcenters so you can get as close to 40 hrs as you can! When I was a Cart Att. I learned Food Ave + Guest Service so I could get a lot more hours, and be more global :)

I've worked for target for close to ten yrs, half as a team member half as a team lead at 3 different stores... I started out at 8 bucks an hr thru hard work and working smart i am up to just over 19 and hr... Do the best you can don't be a slacker and you will someday see the rewards....

I've worked for target for close to ten yrs, half as a team member half as a team lead at 3 different stores... I started out at 8 bucks an hr thru hard work and working smart i am up to just over 19 and hr... Do the best you can don't be a slacker and you will someday see the rewards....

I don't doubt that you've worked hard but I'm also willing to bet you've caught some lucky breaks, been in the right place at the right time, had people above you who liked you, you've played the game in the right way, etc.

Again, I'm not in anyway denigrating your accomplishment, I'm just saying there's more to it than just dedication and hard work.

I try to make my job fun, even on days were the LODs are on me, I turn my frown upside-down.

Plus getting paid $8 an hour is still more then someone with no job.

Ah, not necessarily. Unemployment pays pretty well.

Ah, not necessarily. Unemployment pays pretty well.

Not really.

That's coming from someone who is currently drawing unemployment.

I'll admit, it's been nice to get paid to sit on my ass.

Especially when I was termed for no reason and the DM told me to my face there was no reason.

That said, I'm drawing about $100 per week less than I was making.

I also lost my health insurance.

Yeah, I could have picked it up under COBRA, but then I would have gone from paying $30 per week for it to paying $110 per week.

Also, my unemployment is about to run out, I've so far had zero luck in finding another job and so I totally agree with the sentiment that $8 an hour is better than the alternative.

I feel your pain!! For the most part I like my job too, but making ends meet is hard! I love having free time, a job that I don't take home with me, and good friends(sometimes) as co-workers. Remember that happiness like that is worth a lot!!!!

My advice is to pick up shifts to get to 40 hours if you can, let your leaders know you are willing to work in many work centers and are looking for 40 hours!

I moved to the backroom in order to get more money. It was the Best idea ever, because I am happy there. Then I moved again to be flow team backroom and get shift diff.

That little bit of extra helps out a lot! In my experience early morning teams are alway in need of help. Especially with seasonal needs, I bet there would be room for you there, if you are willing to go in early, the extra money is great!!!

It may seem hard to stick to but try.
I've been w/Spot for almost 10 yrs. I've trained many folks who promoted right over me. I'm considered reliable, trustworthy, the TM ETLs come to when they want something done (& done right!) but I'm not considered TL-worthy.
There are so many times I've been tempted to throw in the towel but I've got three boys who depend on me for benefits & a husband who's been out of work for almost 2 yrs doing his best to be Mr. Mom. I can't let them down so I suck it up on the days I feel like crying, go in with my head up & leave my problems checked at the door.

I know how much it sucks.
Being under-employed is bad, you can barely make ends meet and it seems like the people who hired you really don't give a damn (which they probably don't sad to say).
Unfortunately being unemployed is a whole lot worse.
Even with extensions the money does run out and it sure isn't the gravy train that the frelling senators seem to think it is.
You can cross train to other departments and pick up more hours.
Check to swap list to see if anybody needs coverage.
I have two other part time jobs I work doing tutoring and organizing.
Even my wife who is a teacher has to work extra jobs (especially now that they've cut the pension and doubled the cost of insurance).
This is state of the world that we've been driven into, the middle class is being shoved down further and further ....
wait that's another thread.
Anyway, good luck and make sure you've got a plan before you do anything.

thanks for your input everyone.
ive actually been cross trained in a few areas. softlines and photo are my top workcenters.
i just got offered to work in starbucks but im a little scared to try that. i love my job, and i love softlines.
hours are hard to come by now bc they keep hiring new ppl every week. ive been
getting 30 hrs each week and now im down to 20. its just not fair. i know not to quit until
i find something else. it seems like i wont be able to move up until i have a degree and right now
school just isnt for me.

Go for starbux training! That & Food ave are the most specialized areas & the most lucrative. You can always pick up hrs with your other depts but NEVER turn down an opportunity to cross-train in another area. It makes you more valuable & shows you have initiative. Plus some folks enjoy chatting up the guests at SB AND you close earlier!
A poster named Ach was a target Starbux TM. She left to work for a regular Startbux for higher pay & better perks.

Go for Starbucks and, if the opportunity arises, pharmacy. Not sure what SBX pays, but I KNOW pharmacy pays well. You just need to believe in yourself :)

I've never worked for Starbucks but I've hated every food service job I've ever had.

As annoying as customers can be in general they are ten times worse in food services.

But hey, that could just be me.

My daughter is a barista, for an independent coffee place and does OK but she's going to college and only needs part time right now.
The tips are good and the work isn't heavy.

I've never worked for Starbucks but I've hated every food service job I've ever had.

As annoying as customers can be in general they are ten times worse in food services.

But hey, that could just be me.

Yeh, it's you....j/k :D

Yeh, it's you....j/k :D

Here's a great example of why I hate food services.

One night, I was working the deli, which wasn't even my job. I was a front end manager who was drafted for deli because they were short of help and the store manager knew I'd worked in delis in the past.

We sold meat and cheese by the pound which we sliced according to how the customer wanted it sliced.

One night, this woman wanted a pound of ham.

I said, okay, sliced off a piece, held it up and asked her out that was. She said it was "too thick."

I turned the slicer down ONE notch, slice off another piece and she told me that was "too thin."

That same night, after I'd washed all of the slicers, I had another customer who wanted me to slice her a single piece of bologna and a single piece of cheese.

I'd rather work a customer service desk where pretty much everyone you encounter is there to *************** about something than to work a deli counter.

As big a guy as you, I wish I had you at my service desk sometimes. Maybe your "No" would have a little more impact.

As big a guy as you, I wish I had you at my service desk sometimes. Maybe your "No" would have a little more impact.

Well, I've seen that one go both ways.

Sometimes a big, beefy guy can get a point across whereas someone else couldn't.

Other times though, a sweet young thang who can smile and bat her eyes is far more effective..

It just depends on who the customer is.

The sweet young thang can also more effectively play the, "I'm sorry, but I'll get in trouble if I do that," card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back