Archived Static electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do to avoid it ?...
I am so tired of getting shocked every time I touch a cart , a peg , a door handle ... and it hurts .
it is getting worst since I am doing ship from store ..

Do you drag your feet on the ground when you walk? if your shoes even graze the surface every step it'll generate that electricity. I know because when I was a kid I dragged my feet like that and everything shocked me.

no idea what else could cause it, probably the type of shoes or clothing you wear, but usually no one else struggles with this problem so maybe you're just electrically charged with your eccentric attitude

Good shoes rubber like tennis shoes, fabric softener in your clothes(Dryer sheets are my go to). Don't shuffle on the floor, carpets. And sometimes you just need Static Guard spray.

Used to deal with it bad in CA, so I had to spray down my clothes and the one stupid sweater I wore at work all the time that thing loved to hold a charge. Just a dusting over your pants, cause your pant legs brushing against each other will generate most of it..

Car interior if you have cloth seats again just a dusting on the seats and floor boards. That should kill it. You may need to redo it when the winds kick back up or the humidity drops.

4a789913a5c43ddf850fc3506efe88c8.gif

Here you go.

Seriously, though, increase air humidity if you can (although, if this is happening at work, there probably isn't much you can do there). Use moisturizer. Use Static Guard. Use fabric softener. Wear cotton fabrics.

Do NOT wear rubber soled shoes - leather is better. The rubber prevents the electrical build-up from dissipating through your feet to the ground.

@Bosch was that sweater made of wool? Huge culprit.

Here you go.

Seriously, though, increase air humidity if you can (although, if this is happening at work, there probably isn't much you can do there). Use moisturizer. Use Static Guard. Use fabric softener. Wear cotton fabrics.

Do NOT wear rubber soled shoes - leather is better. The rubber prevents the electrical build-up from dissipating through your feet to the ground.

@Bosch was that sweater made of wool? Huge culprit.

I can't remember, but it was cheap so I doubt it, where I lived it would get dry and that sweater was a culprit after I didn't wear it for a bit I noticed I could actually touch my car door without it shaking me to the core with the shock I would get. It didn't stop but the difference was huge for the better. Those Santa Ana winds would kick up and no one was safe. Door handles, guide rails, if it was metal it would snap you.. I just happen to be sensitive to it, my mom was the same way.

One of the older softlines ladies at my old store would wear a safety pin on her shirt to combat the static from the carpet.

Amazon, I know. But something like this might help.

...or some similar anti-static bracelet.

Dryer sheets work okay but the best fix is dousing your laundry with lots of liquid softener, Downy, Bounce or whatever. Also use the "less dry" setting on your dryer.

Polyester is pretty zappy so avoid that.

I shocked my self pretty badly in Electronics once and I jumped back a good couple feet. Managed to scare a guest

Have you ever been shocked on your lips by water when you drink from a water fountain? That hurts .

Not sure if this is apocryphal, but supposedly you can wear a chain around your ankle that's long enough to drag a bit on the floor. I'd go with the liquid fabric softener in the laundry and reinforce it with dryer sheets if needed while at work. It smells nice and doesn't look stupid.

Amazon, I know. But something like this might help.

...or some similar anti-static bracelet.

I don’t know if I’d trust that. You’re basically wearing a battery on your wrist and you just have to find the right conductor to give you a decent jolt. Unless the anti static bracelet has a battery and resistor and can decharge/ground out properly it can be dangerous.

When I’m using the WAVe on carpet it builds a shit load of static and I always get zapped by the ceiling grid and lights. To mitigate this I’ll hold a screw driver by the metal and touch the ceiling grid for a second to ground myself. As for normal day to day it’s all about conditioning clothes and gritting your teeth. Leather shoes don’t help much on Spots VCT tile floors

Great advices .. I’ll do pretty much anything ...
I had a TM who heard the electric shock when I touched the door ...and she got scared .
I even set the alarm on the electronic boat ...
I walk over 30000 steps a day in ship from store , going from carpet to vynil all day long ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back