Archived Stepping Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever step down from Team Lead or Sr Team Lead? What is the process? I'm considering just becoming a team member, I'm sick of everything and I want to move to another area.

I know of 2 TL that did and transferred to other stores. I looked for another job for a year and moved on. Talk to your HR

I know of multiple people who have stepped down from etl,senior and team lead,in most cases it went smooth for them but if the company do not like you it can be very difficult and you will probably leave soon,remember as team lead you have set schedule and good hrs,also you will probably drop about $3 per hour.I am sorry that you have to make that decision,the pressure on tls at this time is intense at least in my district,good luck

The company does like me and in about 6 months I'd either have to step down or get transferred because they do not want Senior CTLs with P-Fresh. I want to step down to team member now so I can move (the place I want to go to does not have a leadership position available) and go back to school. The store I want to go to is fairly new, is a super freaky volume store, and can not retain team members so I dont think I'll have issues with getting hours, plus I can literally do any job in the building from setting planograms to making lattes to making bales, I've been trained in all of it.

At my store, 3 tl's have stepped down. They got a pay cut & average about 30 hours a week. Theyre happy because no tl stuff to do or bs that goes with it.

The company does like me and in about 6 months I'd either have to step down or get transferred because they do not want Senior CTLs with P-Fresh. I want to step down to team member now so I can move (the place I want to go to does not have a leadership position available) and go back to school. The store I want to go to is fairly new, is a super freaky volume store, and can not retain team members so I dont think I'll have issues with getting hours, plus I can literally do any job in the building from setting planograms to making lattes to making bales, I've been trained in all of it.

Interesting, because I have a SrHLTL and SrCTL.

I don't think that they allow execs to step-down any more, at least that is according to one of our TLs that stepped down from an O/N exec position. Overall his situation was pretty crappy, etl for 10+years, position eliminated thus the O/N replenishment then 2.5 years later he was told the only way out of O/N was to step down... also he was told he did too much 'grunt' work for an exec!!! LOL!

Anybody ever step down from Team Lead or Sr Team Lead? What is the process? I'm considering just becoming a team member, I'm sick of everything and I want to move to another area.

I stepped down in March to a TM after being a TL for 11 years. It was a pretty easy transition and I am much happier now, poorer, but happier! I left on a Friday as a TL and came in Monday as a TM. Your HR will handle all of the "paperwork." They usually will give you two weeks before you will be demoted (whether you like it or not) once you notify them.

I lost $2.50 an hour. You also only get two paid holidays (Thanksgiving & Xmas) instead of the six you get as a TL. Your vacation and personal hours don't accumulate as fast either and, of course, you are not guaranteed any hours.

If this sounds good to you, see your ETL-HR to make sure that they will support the demotion. Some stores will not. (You can't be on a corrective action, either.)

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am a senior ctl too and was told I could not br a senior either but in our district they want the strongest tl as a ctl. I am not losing any money. I actually know of a senior from another area of the store who was moved to ctl before the remodel as they are the strongest in the building. I thought it was bs at first but now its fine.

So when will we see AE '12 on here? Maybe another month or so? Before you know it there will be TL meetings to introduce it to the team

After the AE12 rollout ctls can be seniors. It will affect the LOD shifts some but in my district it is now allowed. Glad to keep the title but nervous ab being it with pfresh

I think since your reason is that you need to move, you should have no problem. I've never in my experience in our district seen anyone stay in the same store after self demoting.

In my former Group, TL were not permitted to step down at all. I was told by corporate that if i wanted to go back to school and couldnt work mornings (as PTL) i had to quit. Another team Lead at my store had the exact same issue at the same time. We both quit and found out there are multiple TL's in my former district alone that were told NO. So i quit as my classes were not available online or at night. That was 3 months ago. Despite the fact my rehire status is good, they have told the store manager where i reapplied (seriously unhappy at my current job) that i can not come back and would not give a reason. Needless to say i will be calling TMSC tomorrow for all the good it will do.

In my former Group, TL were not permitted to step down at all. I was told by corporate that if i wanted to go back to school and couldnt work mornings (as PTL) i had to quit. Another team Lead at my store had the exact same issue at the same time. We both quit and found out there are multiple TL's in my former district alone that were told NO. So i quit as my classes were not available online or at night. That was 3 months ago. Despite the fact my rehire status is good, they have told the store manager where i reapplied (seriously unhappy at my current job) that i can not come back and would not give a reason. Needless to say i will be calling TMSC tomorrow for all the good it will do.

That's totally different from what happened at our store.
One of the TL had her baby and stepped down to part time with no problems.
I don't understand why things would be so different from one area to another.

When my manager was originally trying to find out why we could not step down the only thing they told him was it was there new policy and he almost got in major trouble because he kept going higher and higher. We thought it was a company wide policy. we all found out about a month ago it was just in our group because they had "issues" with TL's stepping down. It still makes no sense. both if us wanted to step down because we wanted to go to college. she couldnt work the required amount of hours for a TL and i would need at least 2 days where i didnt come in at 6am. For a company so focused on education this is ridiculous. I loved my job and DID NOT want to quit but my education is going to come before a job. I really hope they will shed some light on this situation tomorrow. I am baffled at all of this.

Sorry to hear that.
Are there any other stores close by you could work at?

And welcome to the board.
Greetings and salutations.

Is taking an LOA an option as a TL?? And only coming back for Winter/Spring/Summer?? If so, why not consider that?

One question, did you quit & did you do the 2 week term forms? My former stl who went to another store, would not let any tl's demote. It was ethier quit or prefirmanced out. He was very politically. If you were on his bad side, you were on the way out. IMO, it's up to the stl & not policy.
With my new stl, they have allowed tl's demoted, with no issues.
It is suggested to contact tmsc without delay.
Welcome!

Yes, I put in my 2 Weeks and worked the full 2 Weeks. My dtl was the one who said we couldnt take a demotion. I talked to TMSC. They couldnt help. Going to talk to my old HR and see if she can shed some light on what is going on. I really loved working at Target and I seriously want to go back. I so hoping this is some mistake :-(

Yes, I put in my 2 Weeks and worked the full 2 Weeks. My dtl was the one who said we couldnt take a demotion. I talked to TMSC. They couldnt help. Going to talk to my old HR and see if she can shed some light on what is going on. I really loved working at Target and I seriously want to go back. I so hoping this is some mistake :-(

Don't give up! Did tmsc mention your status?
Any way, I'll ask our in house hr experts for their insight too.

Lately, I have noticed that there are many times that the TMSC has told me that it's the ETL-HR option. This is when I call for a specific question on how to process various things. I guess each store gets to run it's own business - but it's really rude that they won't rehire you.

I guess I would want to know if there are positions open - I know at my building right now it's really tight.

When my manager was originally trying to find out why we could not step down the only thing they told him was it was there new policy and he almost got in major trouble because he kept going higher and higher. We thought it was a company wide policy. we all found out about a month ago it was just in our group because they had "issues" with TL's stepping down. It still makes no sense. both if us wanted to step down because we wanted to go to college. she couldnt work the required amount of hours for a TL and i would need at least 2 days where i didnt come in at 6am. For a company so focused on education this is ridiculous. I loved my job and DID NOT want to quit but my education is going to come before a job. I really hope they will shed some light on this situation tomorrow. I am baffled at all of this.

Target is not focused on education. They don't give a damn if TMs get an education - and honestly they prefer they don't. Why do you think TMs are not eligible for tuition assistance, but ETLs are? That makes sense doesn't it.... give tuition assistance to the people who already have degrees, but not the people who don't.

They only care about education as a means to keep TMs down.

Target is not focused on education. They don't give a damn if TMs get an education - and honestly they prefer they don't. Why do you think TMs are not eligible for tuition assistance, but ETLs are? That makes sense doesn't it.... give tuition assistance to the people who already have degrees, but not the people who don't.

I wouldn't believe this is the case.

Consider this POV: The ETL's have proven that they take the most out of an opportunity... whether it be through GI Bill, Student Aide or what-have-you and apply it to success. The Team Members are typically (please note "typically") high school (or not) graduates that haven't proven much in the way of furthering education, career aspirations, or anything of the sort. Why would they allocate funds for TA to employees that haven't proven themselves in that arena? Why would they run the gambit of losing money on a horse they've never seen race?

Providing ETL's with TA is a smart and strategic move; the employees that have proven they have drive and dedication to complete the required coursework can earn Master's Degrees or other applicable degrees that can be used with the Target Corporation to the benefit of Target.

Quid pro quo.

Actually tuition reimbursement is for team leaders and above... I have been using it! i think it makes sense because if someone is balancing working as a TL and school, then that shows a ton of drive and this person probably has ETL potential! My only issue with the tuition reimbursement program is A) its only $3000 per fiscal year (not school year) and B) it is only for classes that are business related and can be applied to your position... The reason I have an issue with that is because to be an ETL you can have your degree in ANYTHING but then they only help pay for business? Technically, any class can help me get to that level so why not help pay for it? I would understand if you needed a business degree to be an ETL, but you don't so it doesn't really match up IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back