Still on mandatory OT with 40k plans

dcworker

warehouse worker
There 8 other distribution centers in my area begging for workers.

Last edited:
As long as there is zero investment placed in actually screening and interviewing for qualified hires, rather than just giving jobs away to everyone that applies, we will continue to see constant turnover and forced overtime. Especially since they know they aren’t required to come to work to get the sign on bonus, many of our new hires call in or go home sick more than they actually work, yet somehow they still have jobs.

As long as there is zero investment placed in actually screening and interviewing for qualified hires, rather than just giving jobs away to everyone that applies, we will continue to see constant turnover and forced overtime. Especially since they know they aren’t required to come to work to get the sign on bonus, many of our new hires call in or go home sick more than they actually work, yet somehow they still have jobs.
Sounds like my store.

Same at my store. We have all new drivers Now and are back on track. I texted our main driver and the weekend driver and they have corona and so does most of FDC.

There 8 other distribution centers in my area begging for workers.
Yup. We have doubled our work force and are struggling to do plans with OT that we used to be able to do with half the team, no OT, with ease.
Some of our new hires are still incapable of running at 100% 8 weeks in.
And honestly its not their fault. You could have told just by looking at them such a physical job like OB wasn't going to be a great fit.
Corporate taking over hiring is strangling us.

I'll be honest, the training is a joke as well. I had to cross-train two people in my department (IB) into MBP since I got hired on to go to ICQA. The one person I cross-trained told me they were told they only had one night to learn the function (Driving the op and label picking) Needless to say the second person I trained took a lot longer to train and when we went back over to tell the OM they about had a fit and said can you finish the training in a period. Told them I'd try and when the staffing was announced they made it a point to say you need to be back here no later than half shift.

I work in IB and weve been having 70k+ plans every week. Mondays have been around 100k. At this rate we wont be out of mandatory OT till after Christmas.

Yup. We have doubled our work force and are struggling to do plans with OT that we used to be able to do with half the team, no OT, with ease.
Some of our new hires are still incapable of running at 100% 8 weeks in.
And honestly its not their fault. You could have told just by looking at them such a physical job like OB wasn't going to be a great fit.
Corporate taking over hiring is strangling us.
At this point OMs dont care about individual prod as much as team prod it seems. As long as people show up and do something their job is secure.

At this point OMs dont care about individual prod as much as team prod it seems. As long as people show up and do something their job is secure.
You are 100% right.
We are shoveling money in the oven to take care of the problem because nobody wants to tackle it head on.
Probably because we are so close to getting all this Amazon style automation rolled out and they know its going to be an entirely different beast after that so why even bother with the issues we have now?

You are 100% right.
We are shoveling money in the oven to take care of the problem because nobody wants to tackle it head on.
Probably because we are so close to getting all this Amazon style automation rolled out and they know its going to be an entirely different beast after that so why even bother with the issues we have now?

Wow, what will that look like?

How long have they been working on that?

How will that be different from what it is now?

I've always been curious about what goes on in a DC...

You are 100% right.
yes, details, please.

ehj, they've been talking about automation since i started many years ago, most of it never comes to pass. at one time we were going to talk into mics rather than pick ca with telzons for example. that quietly died out when evidently the protyping didnt go well, and they were so happy to tell us it was coming too, but not a word when it went by the wayside. they'd also been talking about doing away with mbp ca in favor of something called mini load some years ago, also dont know what happened to that.

not to say it cant happen but the initial costs of automation are extreme. i felt like it would be better suited for new buildings coming in.

they aren’t gonna have a choice since they can’t find enough workers, and those that they do manage to find seem to stick around less than a year.

ehj, they've been talking about automation since i started many years ago, most of it never comes to pass. at one time we were going to talk into mics rather than pick ca with telzons for example. that quietly died out when evidently the protyping didnt go well, and they were so happy to tell us it was coming too, but not a word when it went by the wayside. they'd also been talking about doing away with mbp ca in favor of something called mini load some years ago, also dont know what happened to that.

not to say it cant happen but the initial costs of automation are extreme. i felt like it would be better suited for new buildings coming in.
There's 5 miniload buildings currently. They stopped making more miniload buildings when roverpick came out. I believe one building is currently using it.

The point of miniload was to eliminate single item puts. However it has never been used correctly since its inception and instead turned into a way for IB to try shovel its entire ARTS plan into which isn't not what it's designed for. And we as a company have a bad habit of taking things that work as intended and saying "this isn't working the way we WANT it to. So we're done."

Wow, what will that look like?

How long have they been working on that?

How will that be different from what it is now?

I've always been curious about what goes on in a DC...
The Jersey DC had it successfully implanted this past year. The Oconomowoc DC is under remodel for it now. I can't say too much about the specifics because we haven't been told much. And what little we were told I have forgotten lol. Would need somebody who works at one of those two to comment.
But I would suspect it gets all stores closer to how we do small format stores which means the always promised palletization of product pre sorted by aisles.
That is what the new breakpack system was designed to do after all.

The Jersey DC had it successfully implanted this past year. The Oconomowoc DC is under remodel for it now. I can't say too much about the specifics because we haven't been told much. And what little we were told I have forgotten lol. Would need somebody who works at one of those two to comment.
But I would suspect it gets all stores closer to how we do small format stores which means the always promised palletization of product pre sorted by aisles.
That is what the new breakpack system was designed to do after all.
RSS or autorebin?

RSS or autorebin?
I'm not going to pretend i actually know what those mean. I am in outbound.
All I know is that ~2 years ago our MLP had a large changeover to the new process, and they had a corporate manager come and oversee the new process to ensure everything was going smoothly (my understanding is at that point it was not).
And that the point was to make it so every overpack was sorted by aisle, not zone.
So instead of throwing everything zone 3 together, you only had bed sheets in one, only had towels in the other, etc.

I'm not going to pretend i actually know what those mean. I am in outbound.
All I know is that ~2 years ago our MLP had a large changeover to the new process, and they had a corporate manager come and oversee the new process to ensure everything was going smoothly (my understanding is at that point it was not).
And that the point was to make it so every overpack was sorted by aisle, not zone.
So instead of throwing everything zone 3 together, you only had bed sheets in one, only had towels in the other, etc.
That’s auto-rebin, there are 6 or so DCs that have that I believe, possibly more.

RSS does basically the same thing but with conveyable cartons. It replaces the current sorter system.

That’s auto-rebin, there are 6 or so DCs that have that I believe, possibly more.

RSS does basically the same thing but with conveyable cartons. It replaces the current sorter system.
Yeah then RSS sounds like what they have been implementing in Jersey and Oconomowoc.
Do you have any more info about that process?

Yeah then RSS sounds like what they have been implementing in Jersey and Oconomowoc.
Do you have any more info about that process?

Everything I’ve heard has been pretty vague. Just know what it’s supposed to do, very little about how it woks.

Everything I’ve heard has been pretty vague. Just know what it’s supposed to do, very little about how it woks.
Yeah same.
My DC seems to always get what Oconomowoc gets afterwards, so I anticipate we will be switching to the RSS as well in the next few years.

Yeah same.
My DC seems to always get what Oconomowoc gets afterwards, so I anticipate we will be switching to the RSS as well in the next few years.
If it works like auto rebin does, then all dc’s are in trouble. Question for anyone in the know, has any building that has auto rebin actually been able to get rid of legacy packing? Or has anyone gone past about a 50% split?

Back