Archived STL/ETL taking pictures of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
my TL has weekly meetings to let us know what our focus will be, sales comps/planning etc. i will be having my meeting tomorrow. according to several other TMs, they are letting us know that our STL- along with our designated ETL (and other leaders)- have been taking pictures of us when they perceive us being lazy. apparently for each picture that gets taken, an amount of hours are deducted for the next payroll. i know employees in america don’t really have many rights, but does anybody know if the inclusion of payroll reduction is against any laws or target policy? we all know they’re out for blood at the moment, and it’s looking like i’m the only person with the balls to say something about it. any tips?!

my TL has weekly meetings to let us know what our focus will be, sales comps/planning etc. i will be having my meeting tomorrow. according to several other TMs, they are letting us know that our STL- along with our designated ETL (and other leaders)- have been taking pictures of us when they perceive us being lazy. apparently for each picture that gets taken, an amount of hours are deducted for the next payroll. i know employees in america don’t really have many rights, but does anybody know if the inclusion of payroll reduction is against any laws or target policy? we all know they’re out for blood at the moment, and it’s looking like i’m the only person with the balls to say something about it. any tips?!

#shitmadeuptomakeyouwork

No way of them taking pictures.... I mean if they really wanted evidence they can pull up the security cameras that ap watches! I mean I have friends that take pics of their work and shit as a joke but not an actual etl taking pictures for people not working.

That's just a scare tactic. They can't deduct hours for that. Strictly speaking they're not even allowed to cut hours for underperforming TMs and give them to better TMs. Hours are just supposed to be based on availability.

Personally I think that's a stupid policy.

what about underperforming departments? we are in the red YTD in sales. few weeks ago, our ETL came over when they saw me and two coworkers “standing around”- in reality we were reading the daily communication log our TL writes. when challenged, ETL said it didn’t matter if we were reading work related content, it is about guest perception. i’m curious to see if that instance is one of the pictures in question.
also do you have a specific policy reference for your claim? or know where i can access a written statement re: payroll allotment?

Regardless if it is true or not; the fact that they presented you with this is really fucked up for a lot of reasons.+
Call integrity hotline ASAP. This is absolutely ridiculous. Also they CANNOT simply deduct hours from your payroll so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
That's just a scare tactic. They can't deduct hours for that. Strictly speaking they're not even allowed to cut hours for underperforming TMs and give them to better TMs. Hours are just supposed to be based on availability.

Personally I think that's a stupid policy.

It is a stupid policy, but that's what they do at my store. It doesn't seem to matter how often people call off, show up an hour late, slack off when at work, ignore entire aspects of their job, wander off to meal/breaks without telling anyone, etc. they aren't going to get their hours cut and they know it. They might get a talking to, but that's pointless because nothing happens as a result. Other TMs get discouraged and decide that they don't need to do anything either. Modernization in and of itself is a shit show. It's made even worse by a having a policy that disincentivizes TMs from working hard to try and make it work the best they can.

How much downtime do you have in your shifts? I know that this is not a scare tactic, it is a common practice for documentation. It helps them be able to handle employees who have been there longer than 90 days. Target isn't the only ones who use it, its considered perfectly legal. The issue is whether or not they're taking these pictures out of context.

So, check yourself first. Do you look at your phone frequently? Do you have frequent downtime? Do you talk with other Team members for long periods in your shift? Or, do you complete all of your work? Zone properly? Do all parts of your work? Help guests? Make yourself busy?

There's no way they can fire you without concrete evidence. This is how they begin documentation to prevent issues during the firing process. This is very serious. If you value your job, make sure you're doing it the best you can and that you're on your A-game every day. And if you don't like it, look for work elsewhere. But this is common practice in 90% of companies.

I've heard of pics being exchanged of TMs huddled around and the person who sends them in (usually "secret shoppers") are unaware of what the situation is, but because we're huddled (maybe 3 or 4 of us) around a register, endcap, or some other area not deemed by these asshats to be an appropriate place to talk, even for all of 120 seconds, we must be guilty of not doing shit, and the ETLs will break up any situation now of 3+ TMs being in proximity to each other.

It's bullshit, but it does happen.

Granted while on the clock...employees have no expectation of privacy. But I would find it awkward on how mgmt. is handling such photos if its done on their personal devices.

what about underperforming departments? ...
also do you have a specific policy reference for your claim? or know where i can access a written statement re: payroll allotment?
How much downtime do you have in your shifts? I know that this is not a scare tactic, it is a common practice for documentation. It helps them be able to handle employees who have been there longer than 90 days. Target isn't the only ones who use it, its considered perfectly legal. The issue is whether or not they're taking these pictures out of context.

Corp or STL may cut payroll for underperforming departments (sales-wise, not perceived laziness), however store management cannot give 1 specific TM less hours because they're underperforming. That's not to say they can't take corrective action. I don't have anything actual documentation as I am no longer with the company, but this came up multiple times during performance discussions with my STL and HRBP. According to my HRBP, Target's policy is that if there are underperforming TMs, we should issue correctives and go through the steps to performancing them out.

Corp or STL may cut payroll for underperforming departments (sales-wise, not perceived laziness), however store management cannot give 1 specific TM less hours because they're underperforming. That's not to say they can't take corrective action. I don't have anything actual documentation as I am no longer with the company, but this came up multiple times during performance discussions with my STL and HRBP. According to my HRBP, Target's policy is that if there are underperforming TMs, we should issue correctives and go through the steps to performancing them out.
Very true. This could be a case of one team member under performing. But since they can't call that specific one out, they instead warned all team members about documentation. Since one of your team mates has been shown the documentation, that team member in particular may be the target. Not the entire department. For now, it may be a good idea to just stay out of the drama and focus on doing your work as good as you can.

Very true. This could be a case of one team member under performing. But since they can't call that specific one out, they instead warned all team members about documentation. Since one of your team mates has been shown the documentation, that team member in particular may be the target. Not the entire department. For now, it may be a good idea to just stay out of the drama and focus on doing your work as good as you can.

Yep, after my meeting today that seems to be the case. i was not shown the pictures. i was, however, asked very pointed questions about my perceptions on specific coworkers. seems to me they are building a case against a few of us. i still don’t think it’s ethical for upper management to be stealthily taking pictures to use as justification for cutting hours (which was again confirmed to me today).

Can you take pictures of your "leaders" when you perceive them being assholes?
Reading this reminds me of when I used to work for an orthodontist. I got laid off and was looking for another job, and there were places that gave a 'test' to see what kind of employee the applicant would make. It got where I was seriously thinking of creating my own 'test' to give to potential employers, to see what kind of boss they would make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back