Archived STL question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal that STLs don't know the first thing about guest service? My STL didn't even really know how to do an exchange! They didnt even know how to defect things out.

Really, anyone who is a TL or higher should be familiar with Guest Service procedures. It may not be particularly useful in Logistics positions, but hey, you never know if you might get moved to GSTL.

STL - used to jump in and backup GS during the holidays
ETL-GE wouldn't be found anywhere within a mile of a cash register, because it's "not my job"
ETL-HR used to be GE. Backed up GS.
ETL-HL1 would support me in any decision I made when it came to GS/vibe. Very good communicator, was able to calm down irate guests
ETL-HL2 was the same way.
ETL-SL used to be GE. Backed up GS.
ETL-AP knew rules, would back me up with GS/vibe.
ETL-LOG was brand new. Didn't know how to login to POS, let alone what any GS policies were.
ETL-RX frequently backed up the lanes during slow sunday afternoons as he was leaving for the day. Also knew GS policies very well.
ISTL was former GSTL. Very good at it, too.
FlowTL has been around long enough, knew how sorting at GS was and would help sort large amnts of reshop in the AM.
SLTLs used to be GSTL, would backup GS.
HLTLs didn't know GS, but would back me up if I needed a "manager" above my PG.
SrHLTL used to be GSTL, would backup GS if needed.
HRTL was very happy to backup GS if she wasn't busy, was very willing to learn new things.
PlanoTL used to be GSTL, another amazing backup person.
PATL was around long enough to know how to do returns. Backed up occasionally.

I think that's about it. Everyone was pretty familiar with GS/vibe policies, many even knew the step-by-step policies at the service desk and were very helpful with backup!

@Static
Your ENTIRE team used to be GE or GSTLs. Man, thats crazy! Yall store ought to be the super service center of the world LOL. My last STL would just tell us to do whatever makes it right for the guest regardless of how crazy it was. He's currently a successful DTL so hey... My current STL absolutely loves the Front End for some reason and is super picky which is bad for the GSTL/GSA. He also tells us to tell the guests stuff, but refuses to come to guest service to deal w/ a guest unless you catch him walking by.

I can top that, our ETL LOG has never worked the truck, she only pulls and works the floor, and has been with us about a year (outside hire) I can understand not throwing we have few females who throw but she should work the line and scan once and a while

Our backroom folks leave at around 8PM. We have to call the LOD if we need anything from the backroom. A few of the ETLs don't know how to pull or backstock things in the backroom. Which is kind of odd, since I thought that would be something they should probably know.

I've had a few moments where I found myself thinking "Really? You don't know how to do that? You've been here longer than I have."

My STL is actually obsessed with the Vibe and Guest Service. I don't think he knows how to do exchanges or anything of the sort. He usually just hands out discounts to guests for ridiculous reasons. "Oh that box is dusty? Let me take off 20% from the item."
A couple of days ago I was working electronics and I got a phone call from an STL. He was backing up at electronics and was asking if we had a TV in stock. I'm shocked that other STLs actually help out on the salesfloor.

It does not make them a bad leader if they don't know how to return something. Yes, makes them useful in those areas but it is not why they were hired.

I actually thought that LOG ETLs were not supposed to work the truck in case of an injury since they would be the only one in the building at the time depending on if there were any other key carriers and if they were scheduled. I know we had one or two before who was told not to specifically for that reason.

I swear that my STL calls out code yellows just for fun. We have them so rarely, but every closing shift that I work with him, we have one.

Of course the STL should know.how to do a return. It is possible that they get rusty if they are not up.there all the time, but they should have a basic knowledge. Just keep in mind that the STLs role is not to be an expert at all of the tm jobs. I am.certainly not. The role is to hire great talent and motivate the entire store.

This happens at our store all the time. The only people who you can say actually know what they are doing are front end tms. We have a fairly new GE and she told me that during business college they only train them how to speed weave. They train them more in depth everywhere else. My mind was blown in a way but it all makes sense why very few of them are competent at the desk!

I try not to be that guy on here but I've be seeing it first hand lately. ETLS or upper level management in general, have no ****ing clue what their team members do. For some reason our HR ETL was working out a grocery pull and when I saw her later in TMSC I heard her complaining about how hard it was. Especially with all those pesky guest asking her questions...

:rofl:

LOL if she thinks the pulls are the hard part she wouldnt last a week or two doing everything else

STL - used to jump in and backup GS during the holidays
ETL-GE wouldn't be found anywhere within a mile of a cash register, because it's "not my job"
ETL-HR used to be GE. Backed up GS.
ETL-HL1 would support me in any decision I made when it came to GS/vibe. Very good communicator, was able to calm down irate guests
ETL-HL2 was the same way.
ETL-SL used to be GE. Backed up GS.
ETL-AP knew rules, would back me up with GS/vibe.
ETL-LOG was brand new. Didn't know how to login to POS, let alone what any GS policies were.
ETL-RX frequently backed up the lanes during slow sunday afternoons as he was leaving for the day. Also knew GS policies very well.
ISTL was former GSTL. Very good at it, too.
FlowTL has been around long enough, knew how sorting at GS was and would help sort large amnts of reshop in the AM.
SLTLs used to be GSTL, would backup GS.
HLTLs didn't know GS, but would back me up if I needed a "manager" above my PG.
SrHLTL used to be GSTL, would backup GS if needed.
HRTL was very happy to backup GS if she wasn't busy, was very willing to learn new things.
PlanoTL used to be GSTL, another amazing backup person.
PATL was around long enough to know how to do returns. Backed up occasionally.

I think that's about it. Everyone was pretty familiar with GS/vibe policies, many even knew the step-by-step policies at the service desk and were very helpful with backup!

I think its hilarious in this example how the person actually responsible for that specific area, the ETL-GE would refuse to help, yet almost everyone else helped you.

Our backroom folks leave at around 8PM. We have to call the LOD if we need anything from the backroom. A few of the ETLs don't know how to pull or backstock things in the backroom. Which is kind of odd, since I thought that would be something they should probably know.

I've had a few moments where I found myself thinking "Really? You don't know how to do that? You've been here longer than I have."

My STL is actually obsessed with the Vibe and Guest Service. I don't think he knows how to do exchanges or anything of the sort. He usually just hands out discounts to guests for ridiculous reasons. "Oh that box is dusty? Let me take off 20% from the item."
A couple of days ago I was working electronics and I got a phone call from an STL. He was backing up at electronics and was asking if we had a TV in stock. I'm shocked that other STLs actually help out on the salesfloor.

Ya my STL is on the floor helping alot, especially during seasonal sets. She backups too. She is better than my other STL who got promoted to a district position but not DTL, and she was pretty good too but not on the floor as much. And dont you guys have someone in pfresh that can pull stuff. All of them should be backroom trained???

Of course the STL should know.how to do a return. It is possible that they get rusty if they are not up.there all the time, but they should have a basic knowledge. Just keep in mind that the STLs role is not to be an expert at all of the tm jobs. I am.certainly not. The role is to hire great talent and motivate the entire store.

I agree. IMO the STL should have some basic knowledge about all the workcenters but I dont expect them to be an expert in each one. I would think doing returns, working a register, and pulling product from the back would be 3 functions every ETL and TL should know however.

In my early years of Target, all my ETLs knew the functions at Guest Service. Then at the very end, it seemed like the ETLs at that time how to even do a return, defect out an item, payout, or even an apology coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back