Archived Store closings - sad? mad? overeating???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some stores closing this year, and mine is one of them.

I hadn't seen any discussions on what we're all to do, who feels pissed or sad, and I searched for a thread but maybe I'm just missing it.

We have a few weeks to go. So many of us are sick and tired of hearing how the customers are going to suffer when we close. Well, we're losing our job, you asses.

So, can we vent? Anyone want to bitch, scream, thank God?

I know I'm starting to freak out because for 3 ish years I've been with Target and I'm angry that I was going to max out on my raise this year. Now I have to start over. So, yanno, like, fuck everything.

I'm sorry to hear that your store is closing. :(

Usually, HR will talk with you and give you some information about your separation pay amount and your options.

The Options:
- If you are in good standing (not on corrective action), you can transfer to another store in your district. You give HR your top store choices and they try their best to put you in one of them.
- Resign with separation pay. (You cannot apply to Target again until 6 months later.)
- Retire, if you qualify.

Last edited:
Take comfort in the fact that your "maxed out raise" would be wiped out by the raise in minimum pay soon. Definitely consult with HR about transferring/ hooking you up with an employment agency, etc. Whatever resources they can provide the better. And I hope you started applying at other places immediately. This is particularly bad timing because of slow retail sales at this time of year.

BeelzeBecky........ You're one of my favs at theBreakRoom. Good things will come your way. I went thru this at another company before coming to Target. Change can be good; whether you transfer or.... take the severance pkg and chose YOUR own path. Most companies will help the Team's transfer, help them w/ some "further" education (thru a 3rd party); or set you up w/ a job location company (headhunter) to take the fear out of this process. Best of luck to you and the others in your store.

My severance is decent, like 3 years of pretty much full time. I'm not transferring since it would require a move and I'm so sad about that!!! I'm going to have to find another job and then re-apply with Target after I figure out where I want to move.
Man, I wish Target would pay for my move but it would be a different "family". I'm going to miss my Target fam SO MUCH!!! If we weren't closing I'd be starting GSA training soon.

I really like retail and even though I'll eventually get my MD and go into private practice, I've got a lot of time and want to have fun. I know that once I get my degree and start a residency, I'll be busy for the better part of a decade. And it's what I ultimately want to do.

But still, right now I'm having anxiety about losing touch with some of the friends I've made, and the change in environment. Thank goodness I have severance. Gives me time to take a break.

I wonder where the other Break Room peeps are who's stores are closing?

My severance is decent, like 3 years of pretty much full time. I'm not transferring since it would require a move and I'm so sad about that!!! I'm going to have to find another job and then re-apply with Target after I figure out where I want to move.
Man, I wish Target would pay for my move but it would be a different "family". I'm going to miss my Target fam SO MUCH!!! If we weren't closing I'd be starting GSA training soon.

I really like retail and even though I'll eventually get my MD and go into private practice, I've got a lot of time and want to have fun. I know that once I get my degree and start a residency, I'll be busy for the better part of a decade. And it's what I ultimately want to do.

But still, right now I'm having anxiety about losing touch with some of the friends I've made, and the change in environment. Thank goodness I have severance. Gives me time to take a break.

I wonder where the other Break Room peeps are who's stores are closing?

3 years?! I thought it was like 4-6 weeks?

Edit: I’m probably reading that wrong. You’ve been there for 3 years?

Last edited:
I know I'm starting to freak out because for 3 ish years I've been with Target and I'm angry that I was going to max out on my raise this year

You definitely didn't max out your raise. If you are a cashier they raised the cashier maxium 3 bucks this year. No way to max out with only three years at Target.

What is separation pay?

You take a lump sum amount for Target ending your employment without cause. These are usually not a very good deal because it only comes out to a few months of pay unless you have your next job lined up.

The store is closing, that would actually help.

Even when he tried to be a troll he blows it

Last edited:
I meant I've worked there 3 years so my severance is decent.

Our incoming pay went up $1.00 at my store, $11.00/hr just like all Targets. My previous raises had me almost at that so 11 wasn't much of a deal. I'm service desk, I do all the training, and have been learning GSA duties and training on cafe. I basically am GSA lately as my GSTL trusts me with the daily tasks and she's occupied elsewhere.
I was told that my raise in March would probably be 8%. I could have lived with $11.88 even if everyone else was bumped to $11.75.

I mean, I did read that they're bumping it another 75c this year, right?

I'm thinking I made the wrong decision, not transferring. It's just damn near impossible at this time.

But really, I was hoping to read more input or discussion by other Target people who are working in stores that are closing down. Aren't we closing 7 this year? Or was it more?

I meant I've worked there 3 years so my severance is decent.

Our incoming pay went up $1.00 at my store, $11.00/hr just like all Targets. My previous raises had me almost at that so 11 wasn't much of a deal. I'm service desk, I do all the training, and have been learning GSA duties and training on cafe. I basically am GSA lately as my GSTL trusts me with the daily tasks and she's occupied elsewhere.
I was told that my raise in March would probably be 8%. I could have lived with $11.88 even if everyone else was bumped to $11.75.

I mean, I did read that they're bumping it another 75c this year, right?

I'm thinking I made the wrong decision, not transferring. It's just damn near impossible at this time.

But really, I was hoping to read more input or discussion by other Target people who are working in stores that are closing down. Aren't we closing 7 this year? Or was it more?
TM raises are capped at 5%. I’m not sure what the next minimum raise is, maybe $12?

Oh no! The very first target I ever went to is on that list!! Macon, GA. I instantly fell in love with target as a store. That is heartbreaking!

Also heartbreaking that so many TMs are out of a job.

@BeelzeBecky head on down to the Job Center.
They usually have a rapid response team set up when there are major store closures like this.
There will be people from different departments of Labor there to help out (DVR for one).
You can pick up a lot of good information and possible job leads.
They often have the paperwork other kinds of programs (heating, food, etc) if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back