Archived Store Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJH212

Electronics TM
Just curious how many times per day the cops show up regarding a store theft issue?
I know that tonight some older ladies (60's) booked it out of the store with merchandise. Usually we have the cops at the store everyday. Mainly for baby formula theft.

Depends on how on top of things your AP team is, and how busy the local PD is. Some stuff is below the threshold for bringing in the cops and just goes in reports till there's enough of a pattern of behavior established and enough $$$ lost to meet local and/or state larceny and theft specifications for AP to be able to call the police and have something meaningful done about the individuals or groups involved.

There is no rhyme or reason as to when thieves will strike.

I've only seen the cops at my store a few times. They were frequent visitors at some of my old jobs (plugging my Walmart thread here) but Target not so much

High risk level store here. Daily. Multiple times each day on the weekend although its not always theft-related: fights, disorderly conduct, etc. I hear at one particular Spot in my district out in the 'burbs it's only several times per week. I imagine its highly dependant on location.

I can't say for sure, as I don't work much, but I'd be surprised if it were less than daily.

I bet they all draw straws to see who gets the shit duty.
*Raises Hand* Evenings are the worst. Highest theft occurs around those times as there are fewer people working in the store.

Well crap - now all the thieves are gonna know!

There is no rhyme or reason as to when thieves will strike.

There is.

It's literally AP's job to track trends and theft patterns, including seasonal trends, new releases, etc.

We know to catch certain people because they shoplift enough for us to determine their routines or behaviors/M.O.

It might seem random to an outside observer, but as an example, we know that infant formula is a summer trend; it just doesn't get taken as often during winter months. We track organized groups, so we're aware of what stores they're hitting; a particular group might not cross a bridge to hit stores on one half of a city, for example -- almost like they have a territory in which they'll operate. All of this kind of stuff can be tracked, analyzed, and used to more-or-less accurately predict theft. We use it to plan our protection strategies and responses.

So yeah, while we can't point and say I DEFINITELY KNOW THAT SOMEONE WILL STEAL THIS ITEM HERE TODAY, we still have a pretty good idea of what to look out for, and often when to watch specific areas or items.

Also, theft will drop when there's crappy or rainy weather. Cuz nobody likes to go out in crappy weather. It can be as simple as that.

During the holidays, we have cops at the store daily as a deterrent. The rest of the year, maybe once or twice a week.

I’ve worked at my store for over a year and have only ever seen the sheriff’s department here once. (City my store is in doesn’t even have their own PD..)

Typically around once per month. Our store has those “usual” guests that always frequent the store and have stolen from us before even after being trespassed.

Thing that sucks is currently we don’t have either an ETL-AP or APS. Only a single TPS. Since they are not authorized to do apprehensions alone, there’s a TON of theft going on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back