Archived Store Walkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they all be walking out? Don't they need jobs? It's not unionized so all those who walked out are probably just screwing themselves.

I like Black Friday. Everyone is high on the sale. The store is extremely busy. No one is paying attention to the petty things that management focuses on all the other days. And they feed us for three days.

Pros and cons of working Black Friday.
Pros:
You get paid
You don't have to spend the day with that cousin who drinks to much and brags about all his successes yet never mentions about his failing marriage and his kids who don't like him.
You don't have to cook the turkey
You don't have to do the dishes
People smile at you and thank you
You make time and a half if you work up until midnight on Thursday
There is food waiting for you in the breakroom
You have to listen to drunk guests talk to you.
You miss Miracle on 34th street
And the macys day parade

Cons:
You don't get to sleep
You don't have to cook a turkey
You are on your feet way to long
You have to listen to drunk guests talk to you
You get up too early
You get home too late
You miss the macys day parade
You can watch miracle on 34th street at your own convience

All in all none of its bad - for me anyway.

Why would they all be walking out? Don't they need jobs? It's not unionized so all those who walked out are probably just screwing themselves.

I like Black Friday. Everyone is high on the sale. The store is extremely busy. No one is paying attention to the petty things that management focuses on all the other days. And they feed us for three days.
I like Black Friday too. A true test of your store mgt.

Im on the fence about Black Friday. I think people are nuts for coming out for it, but it's not a hard night of work. Last year they split my shifts and I felt like they did it so they didn't have to pay me any extra dollars and what not. Plenty of people were okay with just coming in on Friday. Idk why I had to rush my meal for a 4 hour shift, then come back again few hours later.

The actual work part of that weekend isn't bad, though.

If the whole company did it, even the ETLS. This would make headline news. Every target store in America with zero workers for Black Friday. They would be forced to listen

I actually love Black Friday... It's the Super Bowl (or Game 7 of the World Series) of Retail. We train all year to be ready for 28 hours of non-stop retail. Let the games begin!

I actually love Black Friday... It's the Super Bowl (or Game 7 of the World Series) of Retail. We train all year to be ready for 28 hours of non-stop retail. Let the games begin!

That is easy to say when you Thanksgiving plans don't take you to the other side of that state like mine do. I am often just getting home around 10pm so I have no interest in rushing to work to be swarmed by wild people in search of cheap shit they don't need.

That is easy to say when you Thanksgiving plans don't take you to the other side of that state like mine do. I am often just getting home around 10pm so I have no interest in rushing to work to be swarmed by wild people in search of cheap shit they don't need.
My family just moved Thanksgiving to the Saturday before. We all gather, have dinner, relax. Thanksgiving is now a day of work. The only thing I miss is the football games, but that what's DVR's are for

I didn't mind it last year, I worked as many hours as I could get that week of and after. They threw me at the Apple Cage as well despite the fact I'd never worked in Electronics (and never have since either) as well which was interesting.

Last year they split my shifts and I felt like they did it so they didn't have to pay me any extra dollars and what not. Plenty of people were okay with just coming in on Friday. Idk why I had to rush my meal for a 4 hour shift, then come back again few hours later.

The actual work part of that weekend isn't bad, though.

I thought I recalled Thursday and Friday being time and a half, is it just Thursday? I know I worked from open till 1:45 (AM) IIRC, and then came back at 8-9 AM for a 10 hour shift, but I thought I recalled the 10 hour shift being time and a half too, not just the 5.75 hour shift that started Thursday.

I like Black Friday too. A true test of your store mgt.

Definitely a true test. Last year the lines were wrapped around the store, and ended up splitting in two. We had very angry guests mad that the other line was cutting in front of them. I explained the angry crowd and lack of direction to my ETL, and she flat out ignored me. That was her test, in my eyes anyway. Don't ask her for anything when she's under pressure.

Yea, time and a half up until midnight but if you did an overnight shift, there was an extra dollar for part of it. That's what it was in 2012, at least. But last year, I (and a bunch of people I work with) worked until exactly midnight, went home, then came back some hours later, so no extra dollar.

What would the ETLS do...if every team member just walked out all at one time on black friday? .right when the doors opened? lol

This wouldn't happen. You can't even get TMs to form a union let alone risk their jobs. The pay and hours may be crappy but at least it's a paycheck. Not everyone is willing to make that risk. Unlike having a skilled profession (contractors, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.) Target can replace each and every TM with little interruption. Don't believe it? Ask HR how many people apply to their store each month. Some support and massive hiring would fix it.

Sad, but a possible reality.

What would the ETLS do...if every team member just walked out all at one time on black friday? .right when the doors opened? lol

This wouldn't happen. You can't even get TMs to form a union let alone risk their jobs. The pay and hours may be crappy but at least it's a paycheck. Not everyone is willing to make that risk. Unlike having a skilled profession (contractors, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.) Target can replace each and every TM with little interruption. Don't believe it? Ask HR how many people apply to their store each month. Some support and massive hiring would fix it.

You know, there was a time I would have totally agreed with you but Spot has been constantly stepping on the TMs necks of late that it seems more and more likely.
When you actually see fast food workers organize it wouldn't surprise me if retail wouldn't be all that far behind.

You know, there was a time I would have totally agreed with you but Spot has been constantly stepping on the TMs necks of late that it seems more and more likely.
When you actually see fast food workers organize it wouldn't surprise me if retail wouldn't be all that far behind.
Yeah, maybe saying never was wrong. If people get pushed too much they're likely to push back. It would take more than one store to change corporate. If one store does it they'll blame the store leadership and replace them. If many stores walked out then corporate must answer.

True they can replace each and every team member....However, we ALL are replaceable...from the stls, tls, srtls , everyone ....in the end Spot only cares about making profit

Well I do agree with you for the most part...team members are replaceable. However, seeing the way leadership ( or lack of it ) has changed with Spot in the last 5-8 years...I know that ALL of us are replaceable. Stl, etl, srtl, tl, tm....and even the dtl,ceo etc etc . Spot doesn't care about your " title" if they want or need you gone that's it ...

Last edited:
Target needs unions.

Unfortunately we are going to need a large number of people on board quickly, and the first organizers are going to have to be willing to be "preformanced out" once corporate gets wind of what they're doing. And they're going to need a strong crop of leaders to take their places.

our forefathers risked their LIVES for sick pay, weekends, vacation, benefits, pensions and job security. And we've watched and said nothing as most of those have been stripped away. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back