Archived Style Lead Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

So I'm currently trying to find ways to motivate the style team in my store. Our new store mentality is to coach and corrective action the team to death but I don't think it's truly helping. I know that there are definitely performance conversations to be had but I don't think that my entire day should be spent trying to catch tms doing things wrong. What are you all doing to run your teams smoothly? Am I the only style lead that's struggling to keep up on workload? How are you all balancing it with tight schedules?

Last edited:
Do you have established routines?
One thing I hate is to run around like a chicken without head.

When TMs are doing something really well, compliment them and recognize them over the walkie. May sound silly, but it’s something.

If you’ve finished what you’re doing and have a minute maybe jump in and help a TM with push or what they’re doing. If they see you working with them it makes a worker “want” to work for you rather than “have” to.

Considering my work center I don’t work alone side TMs often. Lately if I’ve been finding free time I’ll jump in and push with TMs or zone ahead of them. I’ll let them talk about what ever they want, sometimes it gives me insight of area to influence that I’d usually over look. Other times I’m just a team lead they can vent to with out worrying about some sort of retaliation.

Coaching for success is amazing and underutilized. While you’re working on something near a TM observe them engage with a guest or solve a problem. When they’re done go over and work on the next rack or table with them and just casually chat. “That was a great series of questions to help her find the perfect dress! Did you just have a party recently? You related so well!” Or even “I really liked the way you moved those shirts. What made you decide to do it that way?” Let them feel comfortable expressing themselves to you. The most productive Teams are the ones where the TMs would do anything for their Leaders out of the respect they’ve earned, not the fear they await. I’ve also noticed little treats help sometimes. An occasional Starburst is always appreciated and can easily be nibbled up on the floor. Chocolates are too melty and messy.

Getting my DBO's time in their assigned area is a struggle. With tight schedules my team can come clean on push daily but everything else (price change, VMG's, pulls) don't happen most days. Someone from inbound team or hardlines will do our pulls.
I would like to see how you guys schedule? I know everyone's store/hours are different. How many hours a day does your team get in their area? Most days I have 3 during the day, that includes me.
Our peak hours are late evening into the night. So bulk of my team comes then.
Thanks!

Coaching for success is amazing and underutilized. While you’re working on something near a TM observe them engage with a guest or solve a problem. When they’re done go over and work on the next rack or table with them and just casually chat. “That was a great series of questions to help her find the perfect dress! Did you just have a party recently? You related so well!” Or even “I really liked the way you moved those shirts. What made you decide to do it that way?” Let them feel comfortable expressing themselves to you. The most productive Teams are the ones where the TMs would do anything for their Leaders out of the respect they’ve earned, not the fear they await. I’ve also noticed little treats help sometimes. An occasional Starburst is always appreciated and can easily be nibbled up on the floor. Chocolates are too melty and messy.
To sum it up. SBI. Situation behavior impact. What happened, what was their behavior and how did it impact the guest.

One of the biggest opportunities for our style team was general team development and coaching. Team members were not being held to the same standard and those that were allowed to stay behind pace due to the lack of coaching and corrections with issues made it difficult for the rest of the team. We had rockstar team members that were keeping the departments afloat, but we weren’t exceeding standards at all. I would say recognition is key, but so is constructive criticism and appropriate development. And above all, driving a strong training culture is equally important. If TMs know how to do something, they’ll be more confident!

Getting my DBO's time in their assigned area is a struggle. With tight schedules my team can come clean on push daily but everything else (price change, VMG's, pulls) don't happen most days. Someone from inbound team or hardlines will do our pulls.
I would like to see how you guys schedule? I know everyone's store/hours are different. How many hours a day does your team get in their area? Most days I have 3 during the day, that includes me.
Our peak hours are late evening into the night. So bulk of my team comes then.
Thanks!

Starting for the month of June every store gets a forecaster that has updated hours for all workcenters. After that it tell you how many hours to schedule per day based on your specific style sales trends. It goes to STLs and they should be passing the info on if not ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back