Archived Surprise Crosstraining? No choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having worked in Hardlines for a full year now and PFresh for a few months, I was surprised find myself scheduled "SOFTLINES" for a few days next week. I asked our HR about this, and they just told me that one of the leaders had apparently taken the initiative to schedule me for softlines training without my knowledge. "You're so good, and they need all the help they can get over there!" They also implied that I won't be getting more PFresh shifts.

As lame and horrible as it sounds, I spent the rest of the day on the verge of tears. Over the past year, I've become well-liked among team leads for my hard work and positive attitude, and I've grown to love working and assisting guests in my current areas. I was constantly complimented on my work in PFresh, and I looked forward to continuing my growth and experience in Market.

Is it typical for a TM to have no control over this sort of thing? The team leads know that I do virtually anything asked of me, and I do it well. Being a full-time student with final papers and projects right around the corner, I am uncomfortable with the idea of being thrown into an unfamiliar area during the busiest time of the year, especially when I was not given the opportunity to discuss it or even know about it in advance.

If I inquire further into this, is my job at risk?

So you won't lose your job for refusing to cross train. But they may cut your hours. And your chances of getting hours when first quarter hits will be even smaller.

Just do it, but say you do want pfresh shifts to stay up to date. Cause a bit down the road here you will be back in pfresh.

Do a few training shifts to at least learn how it works over there, but then let your ETL-HR know that it is not a good fit for you(Assuming you still don't like it after getting trained). "Right Person Right Place" is shoved down most ETL's throats, so let them know that it is not the "Right Place" for you. That your strengths fit Market better

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and advice, I really appreciate it.

In the first 5 minutes of your first interview you are told that all positions at Target require the ability to cross train and work in other areas of the store. Chances are you said yes.

That said, most leaders will ask you if you want to work in other areas or train somewhere if they know that you want hours, they have a scheduling need, or they are anticipating a scheduling need (terms, tm quitting, influx of hours). Just ask your TL, ETL, or whoever is doing your schedule about it. Most of the time you can solve your problems by talking to your leaders and voicing your concerns.

The more global you are the more hours you will pick up when things are slow.
It also shows they might be interested in moving you up (maybe).
Show that you're flexible enough to handle any position and there is a good chance they will put you where you want to go but will ask you to back up other departments when needed.
Don't let this scare or upset you.
The more you know about the whole store, the better your skills are for any one department.

This happened to me as well. I was happy and doing very well in my work center, and then was told to crosstrain in a different area. I've been crosstrained in a bunch of areas so now when I need extra hours I can pick up extra shifts. It also helps me avoid exclusively cashiering when I'm on my comp shopping hiatus.

Give it a try and see how it goes. It'll look favorably on you if you do it.

I signed up to be cross trained in every area. I received training for 2. I never get scheduled in those 2 areas now.

As a PA and having had many good Team members, I wish were over here more often with me I totally understand how you feel.. If you like to work you ass off, and never ever, be bored.. Market is probably the best place in the store. One of my ETL's is asking about getting me Pharmacy trained LOL, I can't tell you how tempting it will be to just leave my Freezer, or Dairy, or Meat, or Produce Pull, I almost always have 1 of the four, on the floor because I got called up to Pharmacy.

I'm trying to get out of softlines. I've been crosstrained in hardlines, consumables, electronics, fitting room and obviously cashier, slowly in guest services as well. Softlines really don't get to zone until the guests are out of the building. My problem, is some of the team members in softlines. They are slow and lazy. When I work with them those days, I want to leave. But it's great to know more areas of the store.

Thanks, everyone. I do realize it is immature to be upset over this, and I appreciate the reminders that this sort of training can only benefit me and boost my value to the team. I guess it was just a shock since I felt like I had finally found my perfect niche and I wasn't asked/told in advance. Oh well :'D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back