Archived Taking a personal day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been at Target for about 90 days and have never called out or shown up late. I have a lot going on right now in my personal life and I think I just need a day for myself. Is personal reasons a valid reason for calling out, or do we even need to provide a reason? I work inbound so I would try doing it the evening before so they can try to find someone else

If you're a solid TM with good performance, calling in one time shouldnt kill your job but you're technically not hired until 165 days so be aware. All depends on your TLs opinion of you really.

I have my own impressions of TMs but I trust my TLs and will let them decide

If you were my new TM I would think hard about how often you needed an unscheduled "personal day."

I don't have an issue with people requesting days off or swapping shifts or being sick. Not for a second. But I do often find it hard to stomach "mental health" days when the shift isn't covered. I'm not saying people don't sometimes needing them, but I think they should be requesting the time unless you are in crisis.

Without knowing your personal reasons, I would say don't do it more than once or twice a year. Obviously if you are dealing with an actual crisis (imminent death in the family, partner in a car wreck, etc.) take the time. But don't claim you need a day off because you forgot to request a day off to study for a test or catch up on homework.

If it's not too personal let your upper management know what's going on. If they have a sympathetic/empathetic view of your situation of your situation you should be good. Get in touch as soon as possible so they have time to try to get coverage.

I just ask off for one once in a while. I work every weekend which I wouldn't mind except the noise level is atrocious and I'm pretty sound sensitive. A couple of times a year, I will pick a random Saturday to take off. For the reason, I'll note that I have various plans, but I'm really just staying at home enjoying silence.

When you call out, you don’t have to give a reason. You should have enough sick hrs by now to cover the hrs of your shift. It’s the only way they can not pdd you.

I've got a ton of vacation or personal days. Do I have to be scheduled and call out to use them or can I just request them paid out?

I've got a ton of vacation or personal days. Do I have to be scheduled and call out to use them or can I just request them paid out?

You can request them to be paid out without actually taking the time off for any week you are scheduled below your average hours.

So if your average is 32 and you're only scheduled 20, you can use up to 12 vacation/personal time hours for that week. Apparently some stores will also let you use wellness time, but that's technically only supposed to replace working hours that you miss for Dr Appointments,etc.

I've never done this, but my HRTM also told me that you can request them to be paid out for weeks in the past as well, as long as the week you are requesting for was under your average hours as well. I imagine that works the same as requesting it for current or future weeks, but I've only done current and future so I can't speak to past weeks.

Make sure to get those used up before you leave Target!

Also before you hit any caps in earning. I forget what they are, but there's a point at which you'll stop earning hours if you have accumulated so many.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I want to be a dependable TM and I honestly need the hours so I'm only going to call out if I absolutely need to. I would consider any PTO that I've accumulated if I had any. Part timers dont get any 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back