Taking Beauty Samples Home

I work in beauty and a lot of the samples I give out look cool and I want to try them. Are we allowed to take home left over samples that I didn’t get to pass out from that day?

At the end of the day you are also a guest. There's no reason you cant participate in the samples as long as you are not taking more than you usually would give out to someone. I take one of the little extras tech gives out to people that buy games all the time. (Ill even pay if it has the one cent price)

"I work in FA... is it OK to eat the pizza's that don't sell after lunch?"

Se how crazy that sounds?
I worked at Dominos. You quickly got sick of eating pizza because all the mistake pizzas were given to the employees. Green peppers were left off? Too big a bubble during cooking? Have at it folks. Every single day there were mistake pizzas.

So not so crazy as it sounds.

The thing with mistake pizzas is that sometimes the "mistake" is premeditated.

I wouldnt target is psychotic when it comes to its deffinition of theft. Now at my other job its a specialty store and they encourage us taking samples so we can speak to it for our customers. You have to remember target would rather fire and replace you than actually help you or encourage you in anyway to actually be helpful to the customer.
Yes that has a lot of spite but I will tell you we had a tm termed back when we had outside samplers coming in to pass out food samples. They called it stealing from the guest. Ask your HR and AP and whoever else is big enough to sign that paper.

Last edited:
Not in that department. My thought is that if you're acquiring the sample while you are OFF the clock, and only in an amount that any other guest would receive, it's okay. But no grabbing stuff in excess or while you're actively working.

The thing with mistake pizzas is that sometimes the "mistake" is premeditated.
Had that happen in Starbux; there was a barista who always seemed to make an 'oops' drink & was allowed to drink it until it was pointed out that it was the same drink every. single. time.
After that, SBTL mandated that all 'oopsies' were tossed :(

ask your ETL, because they might actually WANT you to take these home and try them. that’s the idea behind the beauty gratis for team members, anyway. at the very least ask because i think they’ll probably say yes.

Do this. Ours are given some of every sample to be able to talk about the pros and cons of each.

Had that happen in Starbux; there was a barista who always seemed to make an 'oops' drink & was allowed to drink it until it was pointed out that it was the same drink every. single. time.
After that, SBTL mandated that all 'oopsies' were tossed :(
We typically offer the oopsies to the guest after offering to make them a new one. They’ll typically take the free drink. If not we dump them.

Be very careful, listen to the old Captain. If you're over 35 years old and an independent thinker you're termination bait regardless of your skills and experience. Taking a paperclip from TSC is "theft of company assets" in (someone's mind). If you want a little bottle of smooth skin cream definitely ask one of the knuckleheads in charge, then document time, place, item and topic of conversation and outcome. Seriously, they love to fire people.

Mr. Commie certain you've seen it all. I was aboard the vessel of nut-jobs for 8 years. Seen good and bad. Started good, ended quite differently. Had enough of the "status with me" "the racetrack" "sense of urgency", "goal times" and all the other bullshit phrases. The Captain would need considerably more "make your face look good cream" than what is contained in a sampler.

ASANTS, so what happens at mine may not work for yours:

We get gratis boxes of full sizes of products, there should have been one for October? Off the top of my head, there was a Japonesque eyelash curler, a Versed makeup removing balm (pink jar), and some other things. My store at the time only had three beauty TMs so we had free pick of the items. Some stores will have the Specialty Sales ETL hand things out. Mine is way more hands-off (I don't even think he realizes beauty has a gratis box), and we totally take home samples from the sample stack for guests on weekend events. Every TM knows we have samples, they see the gratis box come in, they know what's going on.

Reach out to your SS-ETL about product sampling, because you're supposed to know your products!

Back