Archived talking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Just wondering...when you have a rude, angry, or mean guest, have you ever just spoken back to the guest in the same manner?.....and kept your job?

Last time I got into it with a guest was when a guest was trying to return an opened DVD and wouldn't take "EXCHANGE ONLY" as an answer. After being nice for so long, they eventually made me snap and I directly told them there was nothing that I would be doing for them and they had to leave... Luckily they did haha.

Kill with kindness, vent to another TM afterwards!

Had a cashier dealing with a guest who was a known ticket-switcher. When the guest walked away, the cashier muttered "B!tch" & the guest heard her, resulting in me (GSA at the time) getting called over.
I had to listen to the guest rail about being "treated like a thief" & the cashier's comment. I wound up giving her an apology coupon while she railed at my cashier who was mad at me for "not backing her up." I pointed out to the cashier that, had she kept her big mouth shut, this wouldn't have happened; that I couldn't back her up for such an egregious fail on her part.
In the end, the cashier was written up & eventually termed for other situations.
In the end, it's not worth it for the brief satisfaction.

It's interesting, from an AP perspective, how personally most TMs take theft and fraud. We laugh it off in AP and go about our day, but man, some TMs get PISSED.

There's a difference between caring and taking it personally, especially when it colors their transactions with the guests. They need to care to an extent, but it's usually not worth getting mad over.

It's interesting, from an AP perspective, how personally most TMs take theft and fraud. We laugh it off in AP and go about our day, but man, some TMs get PISSED.

Yes, it is very interesting. Some TMs take it personally.

About 10 years ago we had a guy steal a couple DVDs. An electronics TM actually followed him out the door, confronted him, and tried to take the DVDs back by physically grabbing him. The guy pulled a knife and slashed him across his arm then ran way. The TM had to go the hospital and was termed.

I used to tell future electronics TMs about this incident when I promoted to TL and saw them start to take theft personally. I always told them "before you get it in your head to be a hero.... ask yourself two questions. Is it worth it to lose your job? Is it worth it to potentially lose your life to protect targets property?"

You know what always catches people off guard when they're being total ***holes? Ask/tell in a respectful and calm manner "You're acting like a jerk, what did I do to you to deserve this?"

I'm a firm believer in killing with respect and kindness, it always makes people see how much of a douche they're being. And if your goal IS to fight right back this is still recommended; nothing infuriates people like a cool, calm, collected person who isn't going to respond to their anger with more anger.

-Zen

I've said "I don't get paid enough to get yelled at", walked away, found an ETL, said I had a guest who was yelling at me and scared me so I walked away. I've had to do it twice, no repercussions.

i dont really deal with guests, but when i get the rude ones i just walk away from them and not say anything.

some old lady was looking for denture cases and i went and showed her where they were at and she was like, "i already looked right here, i was just wondering if you had any other kinds". so i started to look around there to see maybe if there were other brands and out of no where she says. "you know what, never mind, i thought because you are wearing red that you knew what you were doing here but it seems like you don't". i took one long look at her as she was saying some other bull**** and i just walked away as she was talking.

i dont really deal with guests, but when i get the rude ones i just walk away from them and not say anything.

some old lady was looking for denture cases and i went and showed her where they were at and she was like, "i already looked right here, i was just wondering if you had any other kinds". so i started to look around there to see maybe if there were other brands and out of no where she says. "you know what, never mind, i thought because you are wearing red that you knew what you were doing here but it seems like you don't". i took one long look at her as she was saying some other bull**** and i just walked away as she was talking.

This is the WORST kind of guest. Luckily they are few and far between.

Kill with kindness, vent to another TM afterwards!

This is how one of my GSTLs is, minus the venting part. She always ends up angering the guests more, to the point where it's more hilarious than anything else. Afterwards, she just shrugs it off and acts as though nothing happened.

I just tell them that I'm not here to be abused and to get out of my sight. I don't curse, I don't make threatening gestures, I just tell them that my service for them has been complete and that they are not something I want around in my life anymore.

Edit - That's with guests. I've been much, much ruder with executives and TLs.

Well, I do take it personally when the guest is doing something that requires my participation to get away with it, like ticket switching, coupon fraud, passing counterfeit money or doing return fraud. Sometimes, even when you, as a TM, are being a big stickler about everything you end up having to go along with something you know is hinkey because you can't come up with a solid reason to refuse the transaction, or you know it's not in your best interests to confront this person, or they are doing an excellent job of tricking you so you give them what they are asking for, but you often know (or at least suspect) as you are doing it that you are helping them steal or commit fraud. I don't like getting dragged into someone else's dirty business. Since AP TMs don't ever man registers, you may not realize that makes TMs feel.

Our APs get pissed and then get pissed at the cashiers about it. I was laughing about the guest who was complaining that one of her $5 tshirts was clearance marked $2.38 and the others didn't have a clearance tag. I pointed out to her that the $2.38 clearance sticker was actually for another item, not the tshirt she was purchasing so I wouldn't honor it on the other tshirts, but I did allow the price change on the clearance stickered shirt. AP said I should have called them because she was clearly a thief.

Uh, no. I had no proof that she had changed the sticker. It could well have been a careless Guest Service team member who stuck the clearance sticker on the wrong shirt. I wasn't about to confront a guest over $2.33 that I couldn't prove.

AP went all crazy ape poop about, "Well, what if it was a $500 tv?" Yeah, then I'd probably question it. But $2.33? Vibe much?

Our APs get pissed and then get pissed at the cashiers about it. I was laughing about the guest who was complaining that one of her $5 tshirts was clearance marked $2.38 and the others didn't have a clearance tag. I pointed out to her that the $2.38 clearance sticker was actually for another item, not the tshirt she was purchasing so I wouldn't honor it on the other tshirts, but I did allow the price change on the clearance stickered shirt. AP said I should have called them because she was clearly a thief.

Uh, no. I had no proof that she had changed the sticker. It could well have been a careless Guest Service team member who stuck the clearance sticker on the wrong shirt. I wasn't about to confront a guest over $2.33 that I couldn't prove.

AP went all crazy ape poop about, "Well, what if it was a $500 tv?" Yeah, then I'd probably question it. But $2.33? Vibe much?

I certainly do get pissed about it. I'm trying to keep our numbers green and we got people doing stupid stuff. (Guests and TM's).

Well, I do take it personally when the guest is doing something that requires my participation to get away with it, like ticket switching, coupon fraud, passing counterfeit money or doing return fraud. Sometimes, even when you, as a TM, are being a big stickler about everything you end up having to go along with something you know is hinkey because you can't come up with a solid reason to refuse the transaction, or you know it's not in your best interests to confront this person, or they are doing an excellent job of tricking you so you give them what they are asking for, but you often know (or at least suspect) as you are doing it that you are helping them steal or commit fraud. I don't like getting dragged into someone else's dirty business. Since AP TMs don't ever man registers, you may not realize that makes TMs feel.

I've actually worked as a Cashier, Electronics TM, Salesfloor TM, Inventory Prep, as well as TPS and Sr. TPS, so I've seen the "regular TM" side of things. I understand your frustration in being (seemingly) complicit in fraud and theft at the front end, but there's not a lot to be done when it's happening. The best thing to do is to alert AP during or after the transaction so they can investigate. It sucks to HAVE to allow someone to steal/commit fraud, but in the end, they never win. It may take a while, but they always get caught.

You handled that very well (except for saying "vibe," I hate that rollout). Question it, try to get them to pay the true price, but handle with care. It's not your job to prevent theft and fraud.

About your AP team, is that TM fairly new (or just get the uniform)? Without fail, the first few months as a TPS turns people into wannabe super-cops. I always address this when I train newbies, and let them know that respect is huge in the job. Respect everyone else, and you (should) get it back.

The only things that get me upset at front-end TMs is when they make egregious errors (forgetting BOB and LISA, not calling for the GSTL/GSA if they are unsure of the policies, etc.). Otherwise, just let me know when something weird happened, and I'll look into it.

I certainly do get pissed about it. I'm trying to keep our numbers green and we got people doing stupid stuff. (Guests and TM's).

As long as everyone follows BP, life is good. Always build your cases; don't jump on the first tiny thing. If you can build it, then partner with IC for resolution, everyone wins.

As long as everyone follows BP, life is good. Always build your cases; don't jump on the first tiny thing. If you can build it, then partner with IC for resolution, everyone wins.

Can't find a definition.....what is IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back