• Thread starter Penrose
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1K
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penrose

Today I asked another Target Employee whom I have close relationship with why he wasn’t at work. It was revealed to me in confidence that it was because of a bullying situation. He said that a complaint was made by other people including him, but no action was done. This person that he feels bullied him seemed pleasant around leaders, but he said that other team members including him was treated disrespectfully. He said that this guy was transferred to his work center because of a previous complaint. He said that this individual felt entitled for help, and when ignored would aggressively confront them about it. This is taking a toll on his mental health, to the point that he felt sick going to work.

I sense that he might snap if no remedy is given SOON. I also sense that the only solution is for him to have no contact with this individual. One of them needs to transfer to another work-center.

The problem is that I fear that management is oblivious to the seriousness of this situation.

I am also unsure if I should warn management about it given the fact that I am a newbie and work in a different area, and has no actual or direct knowledge of what was going on. He also does not want me to get involved.

I encouraged him to talk to the HR, or ETL, or even the TL– but given that previous complaint seemed to have been ignored—he feels this isn’t effective.

There is also a language-barrier issue in which he might not be able to fully explain the gravity of the situation to management. The individual bullying him is said to pick on mostly non-native speakers or mild-mannered team members whom he perceives as unable to defend themselves.

What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
A call to the Hotline is in order but calls need to come from every TM that has suffered under this guy for it to be effective.
Calls are supposed to be confidential & retaliation is forbidden but neither are guaranteed BUT if they're hearing it from various sources, they tend to take it seriously to avoid a lawsuit.
This falls under 'hostile work environment' & - if it's shown that he picked on people of a particular group because of their ethic status (non-native language speakers easily intimidated) - it could also be classified as a hate crime.

Thank you, @redeye58.

Quite frankly, I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that. I remember HR specifically telling us to contact them before calling the hotline number.

I wish ETL or TL would put them in different work areas. That’s the immediate goal. He is still able to tolerate his presence at the break room, but him coming near his aisle at the backroom is the problem. They don’t work in the aisle or workspace, but somehow, the guy would find a way to constantly interrupt him demanding for help.

I wish his mood changes tomorrow, he felt so hopeless today. I am really affected, and scared of what might happen this week.

this is considered bullying (and possibly racist if it comes down to it) because he's creating a hostile working environment. both you have to report to either HR or the STL. If they do nothing about it, it's hotline time.

They need to write everything down just like the old rules for newspapers, what, where, when, who, why, times, names, dates, etc.
Make sure to use the right buzz words, 'hostile work environment', 'not feeling supported by management', 'multiple attempts to solve problem through channels without results'.
Get as many people as possible to file just like redeye said and don't let this douchenozzle get away with this kind of behavior.

If there is a need to report directly to store leadership, then it needs to be the affected TMs not you. You don't want to get yourself involved in a mess.

You can use the Hotline as a way around it and call anonymously.

I will try to make some suggestions, but making him memorize a phrase to get management attention—is almost impossible. He is just NOT in the mood for practicing a speech, nor writing anything. He is planning to take a video if another incident occur, and give it to HR for proof. That way he doesn’t have to describe the event. I fear that this might quickly escalate to a physical fight. He seems under extreme emotions right now, and I sense that he is determined to make an end of the bullying.

I did remember a conversation about this guy before, even a few weeks back. I thought he was simply annoyed, and plans to keep ignoring him. I never thought that interacting with this guy was a real struggle, and now he has been pushed to the limit.

It’s going to be a difficult Thursday morning. In my heart, I anticipated that something might happen.

I actually don’t even know the guy’s name, but I did saw him once. He politely told me which aisle to put the backstop. That’s the thing about this guy is that he can be very deceptive. He is not an obvious bully. This is probably why he felt that management will not side on him.

You can only report to your execs on what you personally witness. Indirect information will be dropped.

good point, @buliSBI

That's the dilemma. I can't talk about details that I thought I knew as this holds no water in an investigation, but I did witness his anxiety and people around him are greatly concerned for his well-being. He had even voiced out possibly quitting, even though, there is no job waiting for him. He had taken an LOA earlier this year too.

He loved working at Target for 8 years, and consistently received good feedback for building good rapport at work, and for being helpful and positive.

His lack of ability to answer these behavioral questions at interviews demonstrating a level of language proficiency that doesn't seem to be needed in jobs that he might qualify for -- might possibly hinder him from getting another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back