Archived Target chain of command

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always hear all the abbreviations: TL, ETL, LOD, etc. etc.

But what's the chain of command, something I always wondered and my co-workers don't know anything lol. Who's in charge of who?

GVP is in charge of the group and is the DTL's boss.
DTL is in charge of a district (or two) and is the STL's boss.
STL Is in charge of the store and is the ETL's boss

Then it's
TL/SrTL
TM

LOD-They trump everyone, even the STL. An LOD is at only either the STL, ETLs, or Senior Team Leads. They have assigned shifts where they are LOD. Ie opening and closing

STL-Store Team Leader, General Manager

ETL-Executive Team Leader, Assistant Store Managers, most stores have 3 or more. Common positions are Human Resources, Logistics, Sales Floor (Hardlines and Softlines), Food, Asset Protection, Overnight Logistics, and Guest Experience.

Sales floor and Guest Experience are combined in small stores.

Usually Human Resources is second in command, as they are the right hand of the STL. Otherwise it would most likely be Logistics.

Senior Team Leaders-Hourly team leads who also happen to be key carriers, they are in departments so a Senior could be tied to Guest Services, Hardlines, Softlines, Logistis.

Team Leaders-Department Managers, they are the lowest management staff at a store level as they are usually only tied to their department, they share many of the same responsibilities of Seniors, despite the LOD shifts.

So it goes LOD, STL, ETL, Sr. Team Lead, Team Lead. Respectively.

A TLOD may also be used in larger stores where a key carrier is in the building, but the Team Leader is in charge.

It depends on your store and how they operate. My old STL said the LOD was the big wig. So it's all up to your store management team.

At the store level. STL-->ETL-->-->SR TL/TL-->TM."LOD" is "Leader on Duty". Either the STL, any of the ETLs or SR TLs may be the LOD. Even if two ETLs+ are there one of them is designated as the LOD. Team Leads and lower cannot be the LOD. Manager calls? LOD. Someone calls out? LOD addresses it.

Our STL whether she's LOD or not is constantly on the walkie giving direction. She'll even give tasks to the LOD haha, so yeah, STL is never below the ETLs/Sr.TLs when they are not LOD. They always have the final word.

TL can be LOD. It's not common perhaps, but it can definitely happen. We have an Extended Intern who used to do LOD shifts before he was an intern (he was not a Sr. TL, just a regular TL at the time).

Similarly all of our TL's take LOD calls depending on whether the "actual" LOD at the time is busy. Even as a GSA I have taken LOD calls because often in the evening the LOD is the only TL or higher in the building and they be too busy to get the calls while dealing with issues in the store as well that demand their attention.

I've noticed a lot of you putting ETLs ahead of cashiers. This is patently false. Especially cashiers that get a lot of Red Cards.

It's interesting that the higher up you move, the more dependent you are on those below you.

I've noticed a lot of you putting ETLs ahead of cashiers. This is patently false. Especially cashiers that get a lot of Red Cards.
Please. Backroom is clearly on top. I could locu the entire backroom and set the store back about 3 months

LOD-They trump everyone, even the STL. An LOD is at only either the STL, ETLs, or Senior Team Leads. They have assigned shifts where they are LOD. Ie opening and closing

STL-Store Team Leader, General Manager

ETL-Executive Team Leader, Assistant Store Managers, most stores have 3 or more. Common positions are Human Resources, Logistics, Sales Floor (Hardlines and Softlines), Food, Asset Protection, Overnight Logistics, and Guest Experience.

Sales floor and Guest Experience are combined in small stores.

Usually Human Resources is second in command, as they are the right hand of the STL. Otherwise it would most likely be Logistics.

Senior Team Leaders-Hourly team leads who also happen to be key carriers, they are in departments so a Senior could be tied to Guest Services, Hardlines, Softlines, Logistis.

Team Leaders-Department Managers, they are the lowest management staff at a store level as they are usually only tied to their department, they share many of the same responsibilities of Seniors, despite the LOD shifts.

So it goes LOD, STL, ETL, Sr. Team Lead, Team Lead. Respectively.

A TLOD may also be used in larger stores where a key carrier is in the building, but the Team Leader is in charge.
LOD NEVER trumps the Stl!!!!

Please. Backroom is clearly on top. I could locu the entire backroom and set the store back about 3 months
Lol.. this would be a nuisance at best. Yeah, it would be annoying stowing it all back in but think of all the errors that would uncover.

Worth mentioning is us lowly GSAs who are given supervisor responsibilities without the pay, title or authority to unilaterally take corrective action. At my store we're pretty much indistinguishable from GSTLs from the cashiers' and SDTM's perspective because the GSTLs back us up, but stick around here long enough and you'll encounter plenty of GSAs who get stuck in the middle and end up being given impossible tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back