Archived Target health benefits- how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cashier baby

This is a bit personal, but I don't have health insurance right now. I haven't seen a doctor in years. The last time I was checked was when I had pneumonia back in march. I even almost possibly died because since I didn't have health insurance, I couldn't afford to access the antibiotics that the doctor at the hospital prescribed me. I was desperate and I asked my dad if he had any kind of antibiotic (he has a bit of health issues so he has lots of medicine in the house). It still frightens me today thinking about what would've happened to me if I didn't take my dads antibiotics. Side note, I did eventually get the antibiotics I needed after many many phone calls lol. But anyways, since then, I've been determined on the fact that no one should live without access to health care. Im interested in the health benefits target can offer but I honestly have no clue about it. Could I get health insurance through target? If so, do I need to work a certain amount of hours? Do I need to be employed a certain amount of time? It'll be my first year anniversary this month.

//sorry if you see me posting frequently here, I just discovered this page today and I have a lot of questions even though I'm not a new TM// :)

Hi cashier baby! Welcome!

Here is a quote from HRZone:
As a team member it's 1 year of service and 1200 hours worked to get benefits. You also need to average 29.5 hours per week to qualify for health insurance.

Cost options and plans depend on where you live. I would ask your store HR about that

For more info, check out more posts from this existing thread:
https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/health-insurance.17844/

I've been determined on the fact that no one should live without access to health care.
Do you not have access to coverage from healcare.gov or your state's healthcare exchange?

Do you not have access to coverage from healcare.gov or your state's healthcare exchange?

I applied but the packages they offered were really expensive (200-400$) and I have bills to pay. I don't work at target full-time. Im not sure if it's only my store, but the only employees who get full time are the Team Leads, every one else just get's what they get.

I applied but the packages they offered were really expensive (200-400$) and I have bills to pay. I don't work at target full-time. Im not sure if it's only my store, but the only employees who get full time are the Team Leads, every one else just get's what they get.

If you are single and not making very much money you should qualify for subsidized insurance.

Fulltime at Target is only 29.5. We have team members who keep insurance by checking the swap shift board like a hawk to keep their average hours up.

It's possible to get insurance but it means taking shifts and not calling out.

If you are single and not making very much money you should qualify for subsidized insurance.

Fulltime at Target is only 29.5. We have team members who keep insurance by checking the swap shift board like a hawk to keep their average hours up.

It's possible to get insurance but it means taking shifts and not calling out.

Fulltime is 29.5? I thought that full-time was 40 hours!

Also, my one year should be coming up pretty soon since I have hired in mid-november last year. So basically, once my one year comes around, I should talk to my HR about health insurance? I was planning on talking to her about my hours anyways because I live with my parents but they are both unemployed right now, so I'll need more hours to help pay for the bills. And now that season is coming around, I don't see why they would have a problem with granting me more hours.

But anyways, so another question is, what do the packages look like for target's health insurance? Do you know what I could expect to pay? Im not that familiar with how health insurance in general works that much

So basically, once my one year comes around, I should talk to my HR about health insurance?

Everything is handled through Hewitt. Targets benefits handler. They will mail you a packet about benefits. Once you qualify.

You can also visit them online to speed up the signup process.

Target Benefits - https://leplb0420.portal.hewitt.com/web/target/targetbenefits

Your HR can confirm your average hours. This will also be on your most recent check. So you know if you are going to qualify or if you have work to do in order to qualify

But anyways, so another question is, what do the packages look like for target's health insurance?

Like most health plans there are cheaper ones with higher deductibles and more expensive ones with lower deductibles. You have to gauge your health to see if you are a person who wants to pay less per month at the risk of getting a high bill with more out of pocket cost or more per month so you never get a high bill.

Target also has a health savings account where you add money to an account that Target matches up to a certain amount and that money can be used to pay medical bills.

Do you know what I could expect to pay?

You would need to ask someone in your store. I have a wife and child and am likely in a different state than you so my cost are probably going to be significantly higher.

Im not that familiar with how health insurance in general works that much

Essentially it's in your best interest to find a doctor within targets network. When the doctor is in their network they will pay a higher percentage of your bill since they can negotiate discounts.

When you get to the doctors office you pay a deductible say 10-50 bucks up front. Then they mail you a bill. Targets insurance pays a percentage depending on which plan you have (more if you pay more per month, less if you pay less per month) and then you pay what is left over.

That's oversimplifying but the gist of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back