Archived Target Hiring Fewer Seasonal TMs This Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deli Ninja

Formerly Softlines Ninja (Now in Deli Flavor)!
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune published an article today about how Target is going to be hiring 2,000 to 12,000 fewer seasonal TMs this year. Is this good? Bad? Just plain ugly?

My first thought was "Oh no." but after skimming the article and seeing Target's official statement, it sounds like it's a combination of year-round hires asking for more hours and last years' seasonal hires having stayed on this year. It might not be as bad as it sounds at first...

What do you guys think?

By the way, I found this article through The Consumerist.

Last edited:
I thought I read an article stating they were hiring a total of 90,000 which was up 5% from years past..... Watch, that number included Canada Team Members......

I thought I read an article stating they were hiring a total of 90,000 which was up 5% from years past..... Watch, that number included Canada Team Members......

I'm sure it included Canadian seasonal TMs. I want to see percentages or I want to see all the raw numbers. How many seasonal TMs on average per store are being hired, compared to past years? That's the number I want to see.

I'm sure it included Canadian seasonal TMs. I want to see percentages or I want to see all the raw numbers. How many seasonal TMs on average per store are being hired, compared to past years? That's the number I want to see.

Thats the number I'd like to see as well.... would be interesting!

Yea, I'm pretty sure any numbers we see from now on are going to include Canada.

It's funny you mention this. Not only did one of my ETLs tell me they need that we need 20 more seasonal TMs within the next week, or they were screwed, but I started questioning one of the HR girls on why I have yet to get any Electronics new hires. To give you some background, we only have 5 Electronics TMs and 2 Photo TMs going into the holidays, all of which have limited availability. She told me that, not only have very few people applied, but that the ones that have, haven't been very qualified. Her exacts words were, "It's been slim pickings."

Maybe it's not so much that they WANT to hire less, but that they've HAD to.

Are you surprised? Target is becoming more like walmart as the days go by.

we need about 10 regular sl team members to be up to a full team as it is (probably more after last night). We can't keep regular hires WHEN we do hire them I can not fathom how we are going to find any good seasonal.

we need about 10 regular sl team members to be up to a full team as it is (probably more after last night). We can't keep regular hires WHEN we do hire them I can not fathom how we are going to find any good seasonal.

Our SL team seems like a skeleton crew right now. We desperately need TLs, trainers, and simply more SL TMs! At least this means I might get as many hours as I really want, but then it will also mean more stress. Our newest TMs aren't being trained properly as it is and our oldest ones are slowly transferring to other areas. This winter may well be a SL disaster at my store this year.

Our SL team seems like a skeleton crew right now. We desperately need TLs, trainers, and simply more SL TMs! At least this means I might get as many hours as I really want, but then it will also mean more stress. Our newest TMs aren't being trained properly as it is and our oldest ones are slowly transferring to other areas. This winter may well be a SL disaster at my store this year.

I'm trying to preempt that at our store. We are getting shorthanded in softlines already, but with a few seasonal hires (probably 4 or 5), we'll be fine...so long as 1 or 2 of them are good enough to be kept on. It doesn't take that long to onboard someone if you screen correctly and have good leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back