Archived Target in Austin, TX forcing employees to work off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd gladly clock in 15 min after my scheduled shift but I'd be sitting in the break room NOT working for those 15 minutes. If they want to cut hours they sacrifice work to do it as far as I'm concerned. That's on them and they cannot force you to work for free.

I'm reading it but not seeing where there saying to work off the clock. I see it more as clock in 15mins late to cut payroll.

Same.

I'm reading it but not seeing where there saying to work off the clock. I see it more as clock in 15mins late to cut payroll.
my slight guess is that it is implied and it is what they want the employees to do but they're slimy enough not to put it in writing, smart or slimy both work in this case, I think.

The sign itself isn't proof they are asking people to work for free.
If they are telling people to starting working before they clock in then go back and clock in, then yes, but I don't think that's what is happening here.

I think this is exactly as @BackroomBear says, a scam to convince the metrics they have it covered, but also to cut their hours at the same time.
Someone isn't as smart as they think they are, because this will blow up in their face.

Nothing like this works out in real life the way the math tells you it will and any time you try to fudge the numbers too long, you will be fudged.

The English language does not support your argument based on that sign...

Or just have people leave early? Either their ETL is a sleazeball or just can't plan for shit.

How does leaving early fix the 15 minutes of work before clocking in?

How does leaving early fix the 15 minutes of work before clocking in?

I think they want all the TMs to push their shift start time back by 15 min, not actually work off the clock.
Equally spread the hours reduction instead of cutting individual TMs.

If you're scheduled to start at 7:00AM, you're scheduled to start at 7:00AM. That is the company telling you that you need to be in the store by 7:00AM. If they then tell you that you can't clock in until 7:15AM, then they effectively stole 15 minutes of your time. You spent 15 minutes waiting to clock in at their behest.

Oh, absolutely.
They are fucking with your day and it is seriously uncool, in no way am I justifying it that way.
I'm just saying they aren't telling you to work on the floor.

This is bullshit through and through.
Whoever the bright little soul who came up with it and the STL who greenlit the clusterfuck will get what they deserve.

If you're scheduled to start at 7:00AM, you're scheduled to start at 7:00AM. That is the company telling you that you need to be in the store by 7:00AM. If they then tell you that you can't clock in until 7:15AM, then they effectively stole 15 minutes of your time. You spent 15 minutes waiting to clock in at their behest.

This would be a easy way to performance people out also. "Oh, we see you were 15 minutes late 4 days last week. We told you to? No, you were SCHEDULED at 9am on the schedule."

What a load of my shit they are doing.

If they want to cut hours why not encourage everyone to take an extra 15 minutes on their meal break? Most people would jump at the chance to take a longer lunch.
Because not everyone is scheduled for a long enough shift to get a meal?

I also read the sign as saying "don't start based on the paper schedule, everyone start 15 minutes late." And I can pretty much guarantee that's what ETL will say if asked. They are not asking people to work 15, then clock in, then go back to work. It's probably easier to get everyone's assistance this way, especially closers, than to send people hone 15 early or to extend meals that not everyone may be getting and then have to keep track of who did what.

Last edited:
They are not asking people to work 15, then clock in, then go back to work.
That's how I read it when I first saw it.

Big whoop. Here they just ask you to take a long lunch.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I have observed some leaders at the store I worked at where employees would clock out and go back to work.

My previous job was notorious for underscheduling, and then asking us to stay late, sometimes 10+ hours to help finish the truck. This was an overnight job that started at 11:3opm, and management was super focused on getting all boxes, vehicles and trash off the salesfloor before customers piled in the door at 7am. Perfectly reasonable if we'd had an actual crew but when the truck is 1400 cases and you only have 3 people scheduled, one of whom is 200 years old with a medical excuse to do jack shit, then there will be plenty of untouched cases still staged on the floor when 7am rolls around, natch. I fell for it a couple times and worked 11 hours in one night, and then on the night when I would've gone into OT, boss man texted me and told me to take the night off. The next time it happened I ignored the text, showed up and clocked in anyway**, and oh lordy was he furious. I somehow avoided being written up for that (maybe because we got 75% done instead of 50%) but he did retaliate by cutting my hours back to 24 down from 40. And that was when I decided to fill out some job apps, got a seasonal job offer from Target some months later and the rest is hi$tory

**The time clock at that place allowed you to clock in any time even if you weren't on the schedule. I'm a yuge fan of that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back