Archived Target liquor store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa is like...here is your alcohol at Target and other retail stores just be sure to pay the taxes on it.

Tennessee just approved wine sales in retail stores. Before hand, it was only beer in retail and wine/liquor in private package stores.

In NC, you can buy beer and wine in retail stores, but you have to go to state licensed ABC stores.

Glad it's so easy here. Walk into any grocery store to get beer, wine, or liquor. Only thing you can't get here is like 190 proof everclear and other overproofed liquors (limit is 151 IIRC).

I think there is a law here in New York that u can't sell Beer AND Liqour at the same store.

For some reason you never see a liqour store that sells beer too.

My store is near many mid rise office buildings, colleges, and a couple of hotels. Often I'll get people coming in asking for alcohol (often after 9pm) and I have to explain to them they have to find a beer distributor or restaurant that sells six packs or they have to drive a few miles down the highway to the Wine and Spirits (which conveniently closes at 9pm).

The store local to my apartment is ghetto and small but I've been to a new store near Center City Philadelphia which is like an alcohol museum.

I think there is a law here in New York that u can't sell Beer AND Liqour at the same store.

For some reason you never see a liqour store that sells beer too.

Weird. There's a liquor store near me that has all kinds of beer, mostly craft brews that are hard to find in the grocery stores.

That's the one thing I miss about WV. I could buy alcohol pretty much everywhere. Never saw it in Toys R Us, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

That'll never happen in PA unfortunately, but I remember reading about a Sheetz in...Shippensburg, PA (iirc) that was trying to get some sort of alcohol license. Was a few months ago so I'm not sure if anything ever came from that or not, but maybe if that's successful there's still hope. Then again, who am I kidding. It is PA after all.

My store is near many mid rise office buildings, colleges, and a couple of hotels. Often I'll get people coming in asking for alcohol (often after 9pm) and I have to explain to them they have to find a beer distributor or restaurant that sells six packs or they have to drive a few miles down the highway to the Wine and Spirits (which conveniently closes at 9pm).

The store local to my apartment is ghetto and small but I've been to a new store near Center City Philadelphia which is like an alcohol museum.
Tell 'em to get on the PATCO out to Jersey!

I'm sorry I said that. Nobody should be told to go to Jersey.

That's the one thing I miss about WV. I could buy alcohol pretty much everywhere. Never saw it in Toys R Us, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

That'll never happen in PA unfortunately, but I remember reading about a Sheetz in...Shippensburg, PA (iirc) that was trying to get some sort of alcohol license. Was a few months ago so I'm not sure if anything ever came from that or not, but maybe if that's successful there's still hope. Then again, who am I kidding. It is PA after all.

I think it happened. I miss Sheetz... and Wawa, but mostly Sheetz.

We don't have Sheetz where I am in Wawaland (closest one is on the western fringe of Chester county into Lancaster; the magical place where Sheetz and Wawa coexist) but they were running some pretty spiffy radio ads last month about the whole monopoly the PLCB has. Premise was a tour guide guiding you through outdated and ancient Pennsylvania landmarks and relics and the last stop was a Wine and Spirits shop. Was pretty funny.

Now when TMs get off work they can use their discount to get smashed!

Have to say I do miss WaWa.
Not much else about NJ though except maybe not knowing that it is going to snow in the next couple of weeks and the I won't be seeing the ground for about six months.

I've never been to a Wawa. We have them about an hour away now though, just not here.

The bizarre rules for alcohol still are strange after being here for 10.5 years! SAMs club used to have announce every 5 minutes on Sunday that town ordinances prevented beer and wine sales before 12pm on Sunday. I think that finally changed.

Now if we could do something about retired people being hostle when asked for ID when buying wine......

I'm sorry I said that. Nobody should be told to go to Jersey.

HEY! I resemble that remark!

That's rather unfortunate. :D

Besides, everyone knows to go to Delaware for everything.

I've never been to Delaware, but a friend who was stationed at Dover AFB told me that the northern part of the state is basically an extension of Philadelphia.
It is.

But they also forgot to tell you the lower part of Delaware is much much much much slower. It's pretty much an extension of the south. LOL

Besides, everyone knows to go to Delaware for everything.

I've never been to Delaware, but a friend who was stationed at Dover AFB told me that the northern part of the state is basically an extension of Philadelphia.
It is.

But they also forgot to tell you the lower part of Delaware is much much much much slower. It's pretty much an extension of the south. LOL

Yeah, he said Del-Mar-Va is nice, just not the Wilmington area.

Wilmington has a huge skyline compared to a city of that size (about 70k people) because of all the banks and businesses that incorporate there due to their tax structure. It's also a rough city with a lot of crime and downtown is relatively dead after 5. It's still a nice city to spend a day in if you just like exploration. El Diablo Burrito in Trolley Square is yummy if you like Tex Mex. South of Newark it gets pretty dead with the exception of Dover (which is relatively small and sprawling), the beach towns such as Rehoboth, Lewes, and Bethany, and random small towns like Milford.

My parents bought a house last year right outside of Lewes and even though it's slower lower, the amount of new construction homes is staggering. It's going to be hell in 10 or 20 years. Route 1 can jam for miles in the summer and they unfortunately developed all retail and services on that highway so it's hell. Unless you are in medical or retail or something like that there aren't a lot of jobs so it's becoming a big retirement area.

There isn't a Target in the area (closest is Dover, 30 minutes away) but there is a crappy Walmart which my parents try to avoid. I won't be surprised that in the next 5 or 10 years Target will build in the area.

Pretty much sums up Delaware:

Jersey liquor laws basically only allow one license to sell per retailer. We have more than one trader joes, but only one of them sells wine and such. Idk why I know that.

Oh PA...how I despise the liquor laws here. Even more so now that I work at Trader Joe's. So many out of state people come in all confused and ask where we are hiding the wine. My first reaction is to then say "Oh you must not be from around here. Welcome to the wonderful state of PA. If you are wanting to buy beer, you have to find a beer distributer. There is one right up the road. If you want wine or other spirits, there is a state store up the street and across the highway a bit." Most people just continue to look at me completely confused and then walk away. Some will ask me if the state store carries TJ's wine. I even had one customer come in convinced that the other TJ's in the area sold wine. She was devastated when I laughed and said no.
What annoys me the most though is people coming in and asking "when are you guys gonna start selling wine?" like we can really control that factor. If people want us to be able to sell wine, go complain to the idiots running the show over in Harrisburg.

Some will ask me if the state store carries TJ's wine.
No, they carry drinkable wine. Sorry, but $2 Chuck is not good. Maybe talk to the local six - pack shop about carrying Name Tag and we'll talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back