Archived ...Target, Others Will Have Brutal Time Hiring 248,000 Santa's Helpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
Macy's, Target, Others Will Have Brutal Time Hiring 248,000 Santa's Helpers

As bricks-and-mortar retail sputters, key players like Target Corp. (TGT - Get Report) and Macy's Inc. (M - Get Report) likely will struggle to fill the many positions they're posting for the holiday season.

Retail is expected to seek seasonal employees for more than 248,000 jobs, "the highest number of hiring announcements" for an industry, global outplacement and executive coaching firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc. wrote in a research note on Thursday, Sept. 14.

Maybe retailers would have an easier time filling these positions if they'd offer competitive wages? Just a thought. I know it sounds nuts. :rolleyes:

More hours for meeeeeee!!!

LfYRi8h.gif

They won't give more than a 40 hour schedule to anyone at my shitty store. They would run front end with one cashier, Starbucks with one barista and guest services with nobody. Oh wait, they actually DO this at my store. No, we are not low volume.

That's how it was when I left two years ago. As GSA, I often wanted to scream and pull my hair out. Target would be much better to work at if the place was actually staffed.

I was actually paid more as a seasonal hire than I am as a permanent hire, and minimum wage has actually increased since them.

They won't give more than a 40 hour schedule to anyone at my shitty store. They would run front end with one cashier, Starbucks with one barista and guest services with nobody. Oh wait, they actually DO this at my store. No, we are not low volume.

One cashier? I've been in that position as a closer. I had 14 guests in line while the GSTL and LOD (AP ETL) watched and chatted. When guests asked why there was only 1 cashier on a busy Sunday night all I could do was point at the pair and say because neither of the managers wanted to checkout anyone.

Maybe retailers would have an easier time filling these positions if they'd offer competitive wages

With seasonal hires though you arent expecting top talent. You get regular 9 to 5 people looking for extra cash or warm bodies who can follow directions and not steal. I have yet to see a store that didn't greatly lower their expectations when looking for seasonal hires.

One cashier? I've been in that position as a closer. I had 14 guests in line while the GSTL and LOD (AP ETL) watched and chatted. When guests asked why there was only 1 cashier on a busy Sunday night all I could do was point at the pair and say because neither of the managers wanted to checkout anyone.

Well the AP-ETL can't run registers.....and LOD has to "be available" for any issues. So,they couldn't have helped out even if they had wanted to......however, I'm sure that, in some stores, the LOD would have helped.

Yes, THAT's why there was only one cashier. I hope they heard you. And people complain about toxic cultures.

Or, let ETL supervise and GSTL get on a register. The problem was these 2 were the laziest 2 leaders in the store at the time. Frustrating when even the STL would hop on a register if business needs required another that.

With seasonal hires though you arent expecting top talent. You get regular 9 to 5 people looking for extra cash or warm bodies who can follow directions and not steal. I have yet to see a store that didn't greatly lower their expectations when looking for seasonal hires.

Right I get that, but the problem is Target is trying to fill 100k positions and there aren't going to be anywhere near 100k applicants. The best way to get more people in is to pay them more. Even a dollar or two dollars above what they're paying now. People want these jobs for money. Target needs their labor. This is a two-way street.

Well the AP-ETL can't run registers.....and LOD has to "be available" for any issues. So,they couldn't have helped out even if they had wanted to......however, I'm sure that, in some stores, the LOD would have helped.

ETL-AP is allowed on registers and has full supervisory access. They're the only AP allowed to get on register as far as I'm aware (unless things have changed). My old ETL-AP would cover Guest Service a lot when we were short staffed.

I've had my AP-ETL hop on lanes before.

Our ETL-AP will jump on a lane, in fact, when it gets busy every ETL in the store will hop on a register, including the STL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back