Archived Target pulling out of Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best decision ever. Now let's shut down target India and bring the call center jobs to America
Not gonna happen. It would cost them much more to run call center operations out of the U.S. because they'd have to pay a live able wage. Instead they can exploit the significantly lower wages and weaker economy of India.

The closing of Canada is a statement that the next 6 years isn't going to be strong enough in the US to prop up the Canadian stores. We'll see how things go but I wouldn't be too optimistic about future growth of Target if they can't make it with 133 stores in Canada.

That says a great deal about the lack of confidence the current leadership has in itself when it comes to fixing things. They are clearly going to be the close it down and get rid of workers kind of people and not lets inovate and get the company back on track.

That says a great deal about the lack of confidence the current leadership has in itself when it comes to fixing things. They are clearly going to be the close it down and get rid of workers kind of people and not lets inovate and get the company back on track.

Not sure I agree. Not having Canada lose money like mad allows more $ to be invested in stores in the US.

Sad for me personally because I was hoping to travel to Canada in the next couple years and visit a Target store there (like some sort of bucket list point).

I'm surprised that Target is pulling out of Canada this quickly after having invested so much time and money into expansion, but if the losses are this bad then it makes good business sense and hopefully us TMs in the USA will see improvements to our stores as a result.

I'm hopeful that its more like when you try to capture all of Asia in the board game Risk really early. It looks good, but you've spread your resources too thin to support yourself. The best course of action is to consolidate and strengthen your core.

Wow wow wow. Just heard about this when checking trending topics on Facebook. I have to say I'm a bit surprised, they seemed so confident in Target Canada. Although it was clearly a money pit because they couldn't bear to make changes to make it work properly.

This action speaks volumes about the ability of people in upper management.

My boss gets upset if I can't complete a pog or revision in HALF the time the adjacency says. What do you say to the people who f**ked this up? "Oh, congratulations wasting billions of dollars."

Squirrels could have done better.

I'm a Canadian flow team lead and all I can say is although we thought we could do it, too little hours and too little stock, on top of having some of the lowest wages (at least in my part of the country). We shouldn't have had a lot of hope, but we all feel like we've been kicked in the face. Everyone I have come to love is now going to be out of job.
Good luck target but if you can't make it here good luck lasting there. My hope is the American target understand that staff is what makes them different if you don't appreciate the team members, they won't appreciate the guest... No matter how many VIBE cards you fill out.

Best decision ever. Now let's shut down target India and bring the call center jobs to America
Not gonna happen. It would cost them much more to run call center operations out of the U.S. because they'd have to pay a live able wage. Instead they can exploit the significantly lower wages and weaker economy of India.

The closing of Canada is a statement that the next 6 years isn't going to be strong enough in the US to prop up the Canadian stores. We'll see how things go but I wouldn't be too optimistic about future growth of Target if they can't make it with 133 stores in Canada.

Losses of a billion dollars a year - even if any company could eat those losses for another 6 years - it still wouldn't guarantee that the Canadian stores would ever show a profit.

It makes good sense to cut your losses & concentrate on making the USA stores more profitable.

Maybe now corporate can stop working their USA employees into the ground & start to have more realistic & humane expectations of what people can accomplish!

I'm a Canadian flow team lead and all I can say is although we thought we could do it, too little hours and too little stock, on top of having some of the lowest wages (at least in my part of the country). We shouldn't have had a lot of hope, but we all feel like we've been kicked in the face. Everyone I have come to love is now going to be out of job.
Good luck target but if you can't make it here good luck lasting there. My hope is the American target understand that staff is what makes them different if you don't appreciate the team members, they won't appreciate the guest... No matter how many VIBE cards you fill out.

And best of luck to you!

Corporate is so out of touch they don't understand that faking good morale isn't a substitute for giving people the tools & the opportunity to really HAVE good morale about their jobs.

A bunch of people from my area moved up there to support those stores, a few great stls included. I hate to see that many people lose their jobs, but I think this was a good decision overall.

I always thought it was a poor decision. I think opening a few stores (8-10 a year) near the border and expanding north slowly would have been a better approach. But what do I know.

Feel bad for the people up there. Target was in WAY over their heads to make a move like they did.

And looks like stock is up 1.5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back