Archived Target releases to the AP that they will open at midnight on Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its absolute garbage that they announce this to the news and media before letting their team members know they wont get to enjoy their Thanksgiving.

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- As the run-up to holiday shopping intensifies, Target Corp. is saying its stores will open at midnight on Thanksgiving Day for the first time this year.

That's four hours earlier than last year.

The stores will stay open for 23 hours and close at 11 p.m. Friday, November 25. Target spokeswoman Susan Kahn said the change was a response to customers' demands.

Retailers have expanded their Black Friday hours each year recently.

The season kickoff overtook Thanksgiving Day last year, when most Sears and Kmart stores opened Thanksgiving morning for the first time. Toys R Us stores opened at 10 p.m. Many Gap Inc. stores were open. And Wal-Mart, whose supercenters already operate around the clock, opened most other stores by midnight Thanksgiving evening.

Target is based in Minneapolis.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/10/28/1601853/target-announces-midnight-opening.html#ixzz1c6KkYXL9

Oh screw that.

They want me to miss thanksgiving so that people can shop earlier? What is the point of closing the store on thanksgiving?

Is this for real? We got the holiday hours sheet for this year and it says 4am on that. Is this a recent change?

Just had our meeting too. I am curious how they are going to staff our store. We simply do not have enough people to operate that long of a day. I wonder if some people will actually be working 2 shifts on the same day? The zone should be great Friday night since we will probably be dead from 4pm on

i guess my STL was mistaken when she said "we will absolutely not be opening at midnight on black friday"

My educational LOA is over right in time for black friday.

Party time!

:|

I am glad I quit when I did. I only had to do one 4am opening. The rest were 6am's.

target corporation facebook just announced a 12am opening, so much for the holidays. ************ retail.

They had an emergency meeting of all the TL's and ETL's just before I left Friday afternoon.
I wonder if this is what it was about?
Guess I will find out when I get back on Sunday.
ArRghh.
Nice to be treated like a mushroom.

Come on guys, if corp is going to have us open at midnight they must have done their homework. I'm sure that our sales this black Friday will show that they knew what they were doing!!

Come on guys, if corp is going to have us open at midnight they must have done their homework. I'm sure that our sales this black Friday will show that they knew what they were doing!!

It's not that they don't know what they are doing.
They told us it would be 4:00, knowing full well that wasn't the case.

exactly commie, and its the fact that the associated press and target facebook corporation has already posted a midnight opening before letting their team members know. they could have told the stls today and gave them till next friday before speaking to the press. its about respect.

It's not that they don't know what they are doing.
They told us it would be 4:00, knowing full well that wasn't the case.

According to what I was told; after many of our competitors (I'm assuming walmart) was going to be open at midnight that in order for us to stay competitive and not lose sales to our "brothers in blue" we have to open at the same time!!! Plus we should have a better turn out since I am guessing that more people are willing to stay up late rather than get up to shop at 4!

What the heck, I just found out that were opening at midnight on Black Friday. Well so much for spending quality time with the family on thanksgiving.

So how exactly does this fit into the "Well Being" that is being forced on us at every huddle. You know the great worklife balance? Already we will be working until 1 am on Thanksgiving morning to set the ad. Now with an opening of 12am I will need to be there along with the rest of the crowd management team, according to the safety training for crowds, 3 hours before store open which puts it at 9pm. Yep that is a great work life balance.

Here are the downsides for the midnight opening.

*Thats going to be a lot of time and a half.

*Lots of ad item prep work on Wed. night. Since there will be little or no prep time for Black Friday

*A perfect Wed. night zone.

*Friday & Saturday Cash Office is going to be bad.

*And the question is "will stores have any enough coverage for a 22-23 hour+any open prep+closing zone day?"

Last edited:
I am going for the midnight shift! It is all the news right now!
Red & sun, party time! :drinks:

Last edited:
Us Backroom guys were told we might have to do doubles or "split" shifts since Seasonal help won't be up to par just yet. Anything for Spot right?

I'm fine with it. I don't like that they held back the information but we still have a few weeks to change our plans around ...

I hate to be Devils advocate but I actually prefer opening at midnight, im more awake then then i am at 4:00 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back