Archived Target releases to the AP that they will open at midnight on Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
************ you Target.

Glad I quit last year, this stuff is crap and ruining the holiday for people. I don't mind 4am for sales but people having to actually leave family stuff early so they can get a 40' crap tv is bs.

This really blows. I guess I will not be getting any sleep if I say work at 1 am and work til say 6.

Caffeinated beverages. Specifically, Mountain Dew. That's how I survive at Target and my overnight job at a gas station. And how i can do both back to back on 3-4 hours of sleep.

************ you Target.

Glad I quit last year, this stuff is crap and ruining the holiday for people. I don't mind 4am for sales but people having to actually leave family stuff early so they can get a 40' crap tv is bs.

I am with you on this one!

its almost always leaked a couple weeks early. Radio Shack's has already been. in the next week we will see quite a few

I try that and those 5 hr energy shots and it works for a few hrs and then I crash and supposedly those 5 hr shots aren't supposed to make you crash. Maybe I will get lucky and get the later shift one can hope lol

I try that and those 5 hr energy shots and it works for a few hrs and then I crash and supposedly those 5 hr shots aren't supposed to make you crash. Maybe I will get lucky and get the later shift one can hope lol

You're at least hoping to still have a job.. I fully expect to be fired.

What upsets me the most is that the geniuses who came up with this idea, will be enjoying their Thanksgiving dinner with their family, in their sweaters, watching football and having a good time, and probably have off on Black Friday as well as the next weekend. Mother************ers should have to come work in a store.

I crash every time too, false advertising, HAHA

Imerzan is knowledgeable, but the cow towing to Target brass at every turn is a bit much...crazy holiday hours are the order of the day, yes, but corporate totally duped store management here and the public was more prepared for this than the store teams were.

i'm not defending Target.. Honestly it will be kinda crazy even for me... Not un-doable though. I'm just saying that its not really a shocker since we were speculating about it months back, and it IS retail after all.

kinda bent out of shape that i am paid to do a GSTL's job for less. my TL said I should be reporting bad behavior to them, and be on the lookout for cashier "relationship drama" and stomp it out, but honestly I don't really give a ************ anymore. I don't get paid enough to care about such things.

I actually don't mind coming in at midnight... Im usually up til 2 or 3am anyways and only going to bed because I have work the next day. I'm going to volunteer myself to do the midnight shift tomorrow when I go in for work.

i'm not defending Target.. Honestly it will be kinda crazy even for me... Not un-doable though. I'm just saying that its not really a shocker since we were speculating about it months back, and it IS retail after all.

kinda bent out of shape that i am paid to do a GSTL's job for less. my TL said I should be reporting bad behavior to them, and be on the lookout for cashier "relationship drama" and stomp it out, but honestly I don't really give a ************ anymore. I don't get paid enough to care about such things.

This is obviously a troll acount guys. LESS THAN 500 posts and he's making posts like this. Fair warning to you all.

Is the company really going to profit from opening at midnight instead of 4/5/6 am? There's going to be overtime. There's going to be shift differential. Either they are going to have to hire more seasonal people or have people work, go home and then come back. And for what?

It would be great to see them open at 8am. They will have no problem selling all the Black Friday ad items. I guarantee it.

I think its absolute garbage that they announce this to the news and media before letting their team members know they wont get to enjoy their Thanksgiving.

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- As the run-up to holiday shopping intensifies, Target Corp. is saying its stores will open at midnight on Thanksgiving Day for the first time this year.

That's four hours earlier than last year.

The stores will stay open for 23 hours and close at 11 p.m. Friday, November 25. Target spokeswoman Susan Kahn said the change was a response to customers' demands.

Retailers have expanded their Black Friday hours each year recently.

The season kickoff overtook Thanksgiving Day last year, when most Sears and Kmart stores opened Thanksgiving morning for the first time. Toys R Us stores opened at 10 p.m. Many Gap Inc. stores were open. And Wal-Mart, whose supercenters already operate around the clock, opened most other stores by midnight Thanksgiving evening.

Target is based in Minneapolis.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/10/28/1601853/target-announces-midnight-opening.html#ixzz1c6KkYXL9

Next year the "After Thanksgiving Sale" starts 6AM Thanksgiving Day! Come and shop before your turkey dinner because all of us TM's will give up our holiday for you!!!

Of course this was in response to customer demands, too.

Last edited:
************ you Target.

That's one GIANT tv! Lol 40 feet. Geesh

Black Friday

It is your choice to work in retail. You could have crazier hours and go work for Walmart. DAH!! ALREADY OPEN 24 HOURS. All of you whining just need to stop. It is your choice to work for Target. It is also your choice to leave if you don't agree with the way they run things at any job. Did you forget we are still closed the actual day of Thanksgiving. Kmart, Sears, Walmart, and Meijer are all open those days . My son works in a local grocery store and they are even open on Thanksgiving. Be Thankful we have another year, we have Thanksgiving off. Unlike a lot of other retailers. I know Wednesday, we are there into Thanksgiving early morning, with ad set and getting everything ready. You still have some time for your Family unlike these other stores. It’s retail, if you don’t like it find another area that interests you. It’s not going to get any better. So be Thankful you have a job, and you have Thanksgiving off. So make your choice and stop bringing everyone down with you.

How much time have you spent planning for 4th quarter staffing and planning for Black Friday now to find out that it was all that it was a complete waste of time and that HQ has been lying to you? It has nothing to with the hours genius it has to do with Target lying to its store leadership and then letting the public know before they tell the store teams. Its even more fun knowing we can not make TMs work at Midnight and have to ask them to open availability so we can schedule them, I am sure they will all just love agreeing to that, so I am sure we will have lie and imply they have to because HQ lied to us so why not spread they love right? Hey but screw the team members anyway they work in retail they do not deserve to enjoy Thanksgiving. Then again its people like you who make lying to TMs all to easy.

Okay, not all the planning that we have done is out the window... As far as prep work for Black Friday such as detrash and setup, thats not going to change to much, at least at my store we still have a full overnight process both weds and thursday night anyway. For us the real only change is the scheduling. Besides Black Friday isn't supposed to be pretty, I mean when you have a forecast in the neighborhood of $1,000,000 there is really no way to be totally prepared.

I don't care that Target is planning to open at midnight. If they have a plan for better profits, the more power to them. But the fact is that this announcement comes so close to the holidays. Many of us have already based travel plans and family plans around a 4 am opening. The news would have gone down better if they made this announcement a few weeks sooner.

So midnight opening! Who honestly can say they didn't see this coming? Maybe not as soon as this year but it was just a matter of time. Does anyone remember when most every store used to be closed on Sundays. Then it was open at noon to 6 or so. Then 8 to 6. Then, well you know the rest. It's just a matter of time before all Target's and all retail are open 24 hours.

Pretty tacky on the companies part to announce to the press first. I found out through my twitter feed when the AP released the press release.

They need to change the whole work life balance slogan they shove down new recruits throats at these college work fairs. Work, life, balance* *except for holidays. So remember grads retail is what it is. No life during the holidays! That will never change. So your buddy who graduated with you making 5k less than you made the right choice. For 5k more you decided to have no life during the holidays work 50+ hours a week while he works 40 and probably 9-5 M-F.

Once again no one likes change but like everything else we will accept it.

I can't wait for the day when I can enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas again! Someday......Someday......

Ok so everyone seems upset but really guys it's one day yes it sucks that it's a holidayl but maybe work it out with your etl or hr so you dot open take my team for example my family does thanksgiving on sat so I offered to open and the other Tl is closing our etl is the mid. Maybe try to work it out with the other leaders everyone seemed willing to be flexible about it at my store.

Plus black Friday is fun in retail think of all the crazy guest stories you'll have this year!

But I do agree they should have told us a day before they announced it but that seems to be the target way lie and keep secrets

Okay, not all the planning that we have done is out the window... As far as prep work for Black Friday such as detrash and setup, thats not going to change to much, at least at my store we still have a full overnight process both weds and thursday night anyway. For us the real only change is the scheduling. Besides Black Friday isn't supposed to be pretty, I mean when you have a forecast in the neighborhood of $1,000,000 there is really no way to be totally prepared.

There is NO WAY they will have a full overnight process Thursday night. They can't get the flow team and backroom team in to do even just autofill in the two hours between the normal overnight shift start time of 10 p.m. and midnight when the store opens. They can't get the overnight team in earlier because they will revolt if they have to work during Thanksgiving dinner. Plus, they can't have the day crew work 6 days and the overnight crew work 7. The overnight team deserves a holiday also. They can't do their regular jobs Thursday night so they will take a truck Wednesday night and have Thursday night off.
Plus, they need the overnight team to help on the sales floor and in the back room on Black Friday. They definitely get two shifts on the same day since they have to be back at 10 p.m. to do their regular jobs. This is how stores are able to have sufficient staffing on Black Friday.
If it's done like it was at my store, we were allowed to volunteer for an opening shift on Black Friday. Quite a few people did it because we were allowed to have overtime. Even if your store doesn't allow overtime, flow TMs who have room in their schedule and want more hours may be willing to open, especially since they're usually up at that time of night anyhow (assuming an overnight store). We came in and helped out for 4 to 5 hours and then went home so we could go to bed and then come back in at 10 p.m.
I'd rather go to work at midnight than do what I did last year at Wally: 8 p.m. Thanksgiving night. I made it through Thanksgiving dinner and that shift fine, but the rest of the weekend was spent sleeping, which meant I couldn't spend time with the family that was visiting from out of town. My mom has already been warned about that shift this year. She's insisting that I come to dinner but we'll see what schedule they give me for that week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back