Archived Target stores doing away with road signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lLxCoWM

Could it be that the cities are changing road sign requirements or something (saying they need to be smaller, shorter, different colors, etc.)? I can't see a Target going to the expense of removing one completely unless they had to, but i could be wrong.

In most municipalities you need to renew permits annually for erected signage, also add in the costs to maintain (easily $800 to $2k+ to fix if lights are out because they are considered priority/emergency work orders), and get them inspected every so often. Sometimes it’s just not beneficial for some stores to have tower/pylon signage.

Sometimes city/county/state building codes change as well prompting the decision whether or not it’s cost effective to upgrade/replace/remove the signs.

I’m willing to bet those are high volume stores that just don’t need the extra “advertising” expense of a tower sign.

EDIT: I didn’t include the cost of sign space rental if Target doesn’t own the land. Just because they leased the store doesn’t mean they don’t have to rent additional land for the sign.

Last edited:
Most people also probably use a GPS or their phone to find the store, so the sign wouldn't help as much as it may have in the past.

Also, both of the OP's signs are in Jacksonville, a hurricane-prone area. The signs may have been removed due to hurricane risk or city requirements to increase their structural rigidity when updating the sign itself.

My municipality has a height limit. Old signs were grandfathered in, but they can't be replaced without meeting new zoning requirements.

Could be local ordinance. Some areas don't permit signs more than a certain "short" distance from the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back