Archived Target Tech Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really have any problems at my store except for now.
As an electronics person, I work closely with Target Tech people. I have seen a ton come and go, especially some really awesome ones.

Right now, there is one guy who is the absolute worst and has a criminal rap-sheet that he actually is proud of. This guy swears after every word, talks about drugs and partying out loud to guests and anyone who walks by, throws up gang signs, blasts highly explicit mumble rap on the apple homepod (literally it is at max all the time), has told people he sells pills and weed and has some 'interesting' tattoos. Now i'm not saying that tats aren't okay for target (my GSTL has 2 full sleeves), but these are gang related with nude women etc. While he has sold phones, many people have complained about this guy's disregard for any rules associated with the job. All of this is annoying. He also bought a mini bluetooth speaker, shoves it in his pants and blasts the same music while walking around the store on his breaks which extend past the usual 30min. He has smoked joints before and during work too and I know when he is high as balls (60% of the time).
Obviously, I put up a nice front so he has no reservations about me, so we're cool but this is such a shit show.

I have spoken to every ETL about this and their responses have all been that they know he is a problem and they have spoken to the marketsource district manager. He, of course, doesn't do shit. Any other ideas here?

Only thing that comes to mind is to buy something without your TM discount so you get the survey code at the bottom of the receipt, and fill out the survey complaining about this guy to Corporate. Maybe recruit some friends to help so multiple complaints show up.

I have spoken to every ETL about this and their responses have all been that they know he is a problem and they have spoken to the marketsource district manager. He, of course, doesn't do shit. Any other ideas here?
I haven't had to do anything about it recently being plus mobile now, but see if the ETLs can escalate it above the MarketSource DM.

Another thing you can do is to leverage guest complaints to your advantage. If you get a complaint about him from a guest, have them fill out a comment card about it so you can get it to an ETL/STL directly. Build up these comment cards as a paper trail. Alternatively, start mentioning the surveys to guests more often. If they have feedback on the survey from guests, it tends to get noticed by higher-ups.

The only thing you can do is document incidents and report it to your ETLs. He is not exact a Target TM. So it has to go through proper channels.
Document and solicit feedback from guests who interact with the Tech.

It will eventually be if MarketSource doesn't deal with the guy, Target will pull the Tech position from the store.

Typical Target Mobile, that’s why I heard that Spot is trying to get rid of MarketSource.
With that said when I worked in AP, Target Mobile were the shadiest characters around. One guy told us he got his job through Craigslist and did his interview over the phone. He was told to just show up when he was hired.

Last edited:
as many others have said, without solid customer representation it is just you against him, and target has no interest in personal vendettas. If he really sucks his sales and customer surveys will reflect that.

Typical Target Mobile, that’s why I heard that Spot is trying to get rid of MarketSource.
With that said when I worked in AP Target Mobile were the shadiest characters around. One guy told us he got his job through Craigslist and did his interview over the phone. He was told to just show up when he was hired.
That’s how it works for the most part. Marketsource doesn’t care. I think it’s funny that for my job I have to know about electronics but for theirs they don’t nor do they have to know about phones. 🤔

Thanks for all the suggestions. For those wondering, I am in the #1 store in my district, making this a highly valued marketsource location. This guy came from the massive closing of all mobile locations besides my store as it outperformed 6 stores last year, especially with consumer cellular. I will get guest feedback via survey and/or written cards. This guy is known to be some bad news so it wont be hard.

During today's shift, sales floor ETL has unplugged the homepod and hid the cable in her office (petty, but no more music blasting). He was pissed and did his bluetooth speaker schtick again.
Casual AP asked for him to turn the music down and was cursed out. STL was close by and did some sort of coaching, but mobile guy's responses were "i don't work for target".
I think it may sort itself out but we'll see.

We had a guy very similar to this work for Tech. Had a list of problems: Hard to understand, Lazy, shopping / eating / bothering TM's on the clock, etc.

Eventually it got so bad to the point where he was just asked to leave for the day and he never was allowed back. It already sounds like its at that point with your problem person. I would give more details but I'd probably out myself lol.

Wow.

And to think, there was a marketsource rep in my district that dropped the f-bomb in front of a guest. The STL overheard and basically sent the rep packing telling him he's not allowed to ever step foot in his store again.

For anyone that cares. This shitty mobile guy is still working in my store but I think he is going through a pregnancy scare with his girlfriend so he is ACTUALLY working normally. There are occasions where he mouths off after a potential guest leaves but his attitude did a quick 180 after finding out that he may be a father. The only big problems now is him coming in like 25min late or leaving early. No more homepod or bluetooth speaker nonsense.

He even asked me for advice the other day about whether to 'get rid of' the baby or not, to which i had no comment and told him it is his problem, not mine, and I do not want to provide any opinions. He has to figure that whole thing out.

Why tf did Target hire MarketSource (at a Corporate level) anyway? Too much money to hire one more electronics TM?
I'm not sure if this is true, heard this from my Sr.TL, but MarketSource is renting the space from us, so I think they're actually paying us. I'm not too sure how accurate that is, since getting rid of Tech should "save money", but it'd make sense in the idea that we wouldn't hire such shady people to work in our store anyways. Although I absolutely adore the MarketSource TL, awesome person, she really does her job and calls out to us at AP all the time.

I didn't realize how separate the target tech is from target since the ones at my store are helpful to other tm & guests even if it isn't about a phone.

I didn't realize how separate the target tech is from target since the ones at my store are helpful to other tm & guests even if it isn't about a phone.
Meanwhile ours don't know anything about electronics or phones half the time. Most of them say they found the job on Craigslists through a recruiter and didn't interview. If I have to know about electronics for my job then so should they. To most guests they are Target employees in Black shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back