Archived target wine buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i was recently told that when ever there is a wine buyout that we are supposed to take all cases...
my understanding is that when ever we have a buyout we are supposed to take 1 case of each deal and not accept all hq. pushes because otherwise we are left with overstock
the reason i asked is because i've been following this rule for a long time but today i get a visit from one of my wine vendors district bosses and they tell me im not following target policy..
any help .also any ctl's have strategies in getting rid of wine overstock. my store is not a big wine store unlike other target stores that are in my market my store sales in wine are mild it only sales whenever their are tpc..but it kills me when ever their are resets and the wine does not go clearance it just goes nop..and im just left with flexing it on a endcap. i have so much yellowtail champaign from 2 years ago that the previous ctl left me and i've mysupport them to mark down the regular retail price but still nothing...so just wondering what strategies do any ctl have to have appropriate wine inventory

your strategy will depend on your store.
your receiving person can refuse any vendor delivery that was not ordered by hq. so if your vendor is over zealous, that may help.
you can tpc the wine under the pricing menu. this will very based on store. my etl is old school... he tpcs everything to get rid of it, bp or not.
you can mysupport the issue up the vendor route and have hq and the wine vendors partner about their orders. this worked for keebler and coke for the problems we had with their orders.
the wine dm doesn't work for target. and like any vendor, he'll tell you anything to stick you with the stuff. i know we can't return stuff, but there are ways to keep it out of your store. let me partner with my receiving spec who is amazing. she'll know.

The ctl should be ordering wine with the wine rep each time the rep is in. It should be based off what is on the floor and in the backroom. If the ctl or pas or backups are not doing the order the vendor is probably ordering cases to fill the shelf even if there is plenty based of sales. Make sure pog fills are done daily so the area is full. When it comes to ordering we use the rule not to order the case unless its down to 3 for a double facing or 1 for a single facing. Keep my supporting the nop but if you are going pfresh within the next year chances are it will be added back in the set however.

so i was recently told that when ever there is a wine buyout that we are supposed to take all cases...
my understanding is that when ever we have a buyout we are supposed to take 1 case of each deal and not accept all hq. pushes because otherwise we are left with overstock
the reason i asked is because i've been following this rule for a long time but today i get a visit from one of my wine vendors district bosses and they tell me im not following target policy..
any help .also any ctl's have strategies in getting rid of wine overstock. my store is not a big wine store unlike other target stores that are in my market my store sales in wine are mild it only sales whenever their are tpc..but it kills me when ever their are resets and the wine does not go clearance it just goes nop..and im just left with flexing it on a endcap. i have so much yellowtail champaign from 2 years ago that the previous ctl left me and i've mysupport them to mark down the regular retail price but still nothing...so just wondering what strategies do any ctl have to have appropriate wine inventory

What is even stranger, is that sometimes you can turn back an entire wine buy in and other times you can't. The yellowtail buy in this year, we turned back the entire 37 case buy in. Then the Robert Mondavi buy in came and we could not turn ANYTHING back. It makes no sense. The next buy in is coming in this week. We are all over our food BP trying to get answers. We don't want ANY more wine that what is ordered weekly.

When I took over consumables I inherited 5 pallets of casestock and 20 feet of loose stock.My store was also in a beer market not wine market. Our DTL did not allow us to TPC so I used any chance I could to add a wine endcap. I partnered with the housewares TL and put some wine with the wine accessories at Christmas and New Years(also told AP so they could re position some cameras). I also put up a side cap with some wine bags in the wine aisle. The wine vendors were required to check in with me every week and before they could place any orders. They were responsible for dusting their product too. They were actually ordering product that was already sitting in the backroom. I filled wine every Friday and again Monday morning. When sales plans came up, I allowed 1 case to be brought in of each flavor. They previously filled the shelf to the back. Last year wine sales were up 17%. When I left consumables all of the pallets were gone and we were down to 8 feet of backstock.

So i got a answer from mysupport and yes i was right when their are corporate buyouts as long as we accept 1 case we are good. These wine vendors are just so shady they do anything for their commission. For instance my republic vendor is the worst. She shows me all these "target emails" telling me i have to have these much wine in the store and i need to take such and such cases. At the beginning i used to failed for it but then i heard from another ctl that i need to only accept one case of the brand. So after that i started telling her no i want one case. And it took alot back and forth including denying deliveries when ever she did not walk a wine order with me.So next week we do have some schedule buyouts but i already warned them i am not taking no more than one, and if i have alot of some kind i will not buy it for the store... Luckily the wine that is on the buyouts is a good seller at my store so im okay but Robert mondavi is coming in april and thats the one i don't want...Just remember guys that we owned and allow what we want in our store, as far as vendor dont let them talk you and tell you all these lies about being your top seller and best price in town because its not true...

When I took over consumables I inherited 5 pallets of casestock and 20 feet of loose stock.My store was also in a beer market not wine market. Our DTL did not allow us to TPC so I used any chance I could to add a wine endcap. I partnered with the housewares TL and put some wine with the wine accessories at Christmas and New Years(also told AP so they could re position some cameras). I also put up a side cap with some wine bags in the wine aisle. The wine vendors were required to check in with me every week and before they could place any orders. They were responsible for dusting their product too. They were actually ordering product that was already sitting in the backroom. I filled wine every Friday and again Monday morning. When sales plans came up, I allowed 1 case to be brought in of each flavor. They previously filled the shelf to the back. Last year wine sales were up 17%. When I left consumables all of the pallets were gone and we were down to 8 feet of backstock.

See when i built my wine endcaps i pulled from the home and minimized the endcap facings...so usually i built and entire endcap on two shelf the rest of the space i used for flex space for any overstock or backstock wine and so far my strategy has work im not left with any backstock when tpc wine endcap event is over and until we are down to 2 or 3 bottles of on hands in the store then i tell them to order a case. My wine vendors hate me for it but i tell them that target only cares that i have their wine product represented on the endcap with a sale sign..How many facings i decide to have is a store choice.

your strategy will depend on your store.
your receiving person can refuse any vendor delivery that was not ordered by hq. so if your vendor is over zealous, that may help.
you can tpc the wine under the pricing menu. this will very based on store. my etl is old school... he tpcs everything to get rid of it, bp or not.
you can mysupport the issue up the vendor route and have hq and the wine vendors partner about their orders. this worked for keebler and coke for the problems we had with their orders.
the wine dm doesn't work for target. and like any vendor, he'll tell you anything to stick you with the stuff. i know we can't return stuff, but there are ways to keep it out of your store. let me partner with my receiving spec who is amazing. she'll know.

see im kind of scared to tpc just because of the pricing law issue in my state...and yeah i do schedule pick ups as long as their are in the two week period ...but corporate buyouts is what gets me

I guess my CTL and PAs are lucky we don't sell wine!

In my experience, the store I work at doesn't sell wine, or other alcohol. Hope this helps!

My store sells beer, Mike's Hard Lemonade, and Smirnoff, but not wine or hard liquor.

My Etl was talking this on Wednesday. He says it would start happening at our store around the 1st wk in march. I was laughing to myself because I had heard about It here first!

I wish I had paid attention to this ahead of time...

My store got a 30+ case order in yesterday while the CTL was out of the store. They decided to completely pack out an endcap that was supposed to have come down today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back