Archived Target's Newest Designer - Lilly Pulitzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone bid $250 on a $60 chair.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261857784804?nav=SEARCH

What the actual fuck?

I know this is going back a way...but I remember when Furby was going for $500+ on ebay back in the mid 90's so once you have seen that anything that is resold at huge markups does not surprise me. Actually Target just should have sold everything at twice what it was priced. More money for them and everything would have still sold out...

We didn't have quite as much fuss but the stuff is still pretty much gone. Comments were made by guests that the patterns on the fabric seemed to be for older women while the cut and style was for younger women. I found that interesting. I didn't really care for the stuff myself. So much time setting it up just to have it disappear so quick. There were a few guests who thought purchases should be limited and were upset by being beat out but to my knowledge no one cried or anything silly like that.

I know this is going back a way...but I remember when Furby was going for $500+ on ebay back in the mid 90's so once you have seen that anything that is resold at huge markups does not surprise me. Actually Target just should have sold everything at twice what it was priced. More money for them and everything would have still sold out...
I remember people reselling Cabbage Patch Kids when they first rolled out in the '80s.

I'm wondering if we'll be sold out as well. Area's pretty lower to middle class and I've only had one person ask about it so far.
Just remember kids, the return window for the LP stuff is 14 days! That's gonna be fun to deal with.
We had people lining up at 6am and by the time I showed up at 11:30 we were completely cleaned, save for a couple nail polishes. And still had people showing up at the service desk CAN YOU CALL X TARGET? WHAT ABOUT Y? SEE IF THEY HAVE ANY SCARVES LEFT. I stand corrected.

I remember people reselling Cabbage Patch Kids when they first rolled out in the '80s.
My family has a wonderful story of my grandmother go to Toys R Us during Christmas (might've been Black Friday) and having someone offer her $500 for a Tickle Me Elmo my grandma hadn't even BOUGHT yet. People are nuts.

One word to describe this mornings launch - disgusting. I'm use to Black Friday and people's behavior surrounding it, but there was something even worse about this. Can't really describe it.

I walked back to seasonal shortly after the doors opened and the girl who had just spent 2 hours merchandising the home goods table was just standing there in disbelief as she looked at the bare table that was loaded with product moments before. Like she witnessed piranhas attacking a large chunk of raw meat.

Two reasons I can think of for the insanity: people are buying this stuff to resell on eBay (makes sense) or people are buying the crap as a status symbol - which makes no sense because there's no logos that identify it as Lilly Pulitzer. Looks like the same crap you find at Pier One or any clothing store in the mall.

If I walked into someones house and saw that pineapple shaped dish on their table, I would not be impressed or jealous - I would look at them with disgust.

My store is surrounded by mostly white upper middle class neighborhoods so I was expecting some sort of a rush, but nothing could've prepared me for some of the things I saw this morning.

We didn't have quite as much fuss but the stuff is still pretty much gone. Comments were made by guests that the patterns on the fabric seemed to be for older women while the cut and style was for younger women. I found that interesting. I didn't really care for the stuff myself. So much time setting it up just to have it disappear so quick. There were a few guests who thought purchases should be limited and were upset by being beat out but to my knowledge no one cried or anything silly like that.
I agree that the cut of the dresses is youngish. Very straight shape, very short, doesnt look comfortable to run around in. You my dear, hit the bullsye.
The emperors new clothes

One word to describe this mornings launch - disgusting. I'm use to Black Friday and people's behavior surrounding it, but there was something even worse about this. Can't really describe it.

I walked back to seasonal shortly after the doors opened and the girl who had just spent 2 hours merchandising the home goods table was just standing there in disbelief as she looked at the bare table that was loaded with product moments before. Like she witnessed piranhas attacking a large chunk of raw meat.

Two reasons I can think of for the insanity: people are buying this stuff to resell on eBay (makes sense) or people are buying the crap as a status symbol - which makes no sense because there's no logos that identify it as Lilly Pulitzer. Looks like the same crap you find at Pier One or any clothing store in the mall.

If I walked into someones house and saw that pineapple shaped dish on their table, I would not be impressed or jealous - I would look at them with disgust.

Lilly has specific patterns that identifies her clothing and certain styles. The consumers are like a cult, so they can spot a lilly dress and know it's a Lilly since they know the patterns

They're not looking to impress you, though- they're looking to impress other people who know who Lily Pulitzer is and who give a shit. It's a different culture with a different set of norms. It's definitely a status symbol, yes, but status symbols aren't entirely bad and all cultures and subcultures have them. (Also LP's prints are pretty distinctive so I disagree that it's not identifiable as LP. Granted it's not Coach but someone who is aware of the brand would have little trouble identifying it as LP)

Saw women going thru the go back carts THROWING things around while digging for LP stuff until a GSTL grabbed the carts & took them to the floor.

And this is why the LODs today enforced a strict "Keep guest services locked" policy, as well as TSC and the backroom.

Lots of money to pay KC and the Sunshine Band and those fancy pants models

Lilly has specific patterns that identifies her clothing and certain styles. The consumers are like a cult, so they can spot a lilly dress and know it's a Lilly since they know the patterns

And apparently she signs her name in every print or rather did... she passed away in 2013.

High volume stores will get replenishment of the patio stuff but that's it.

We were sold out by 8:05. Had guests calling all day asking us to hold stuff because they saw on hands for our store. Most didn't wanna hear us explain how our inventory doesn't update until the next day.

Had a line of 50 to 60 guest today at 8am needed back up by 8:05 and sold out by 10 am smh shit really didnt make any sense. Also had a guest cuss out the lod and myself because we didnt save some in the back for other guest to buy all i can say is FUCK YOU if it wasnt for the lod ill be a guest right now.

High volume stores will get replenishment of the patio stuff but that's it.

We were sold out by 8:05. Had guests calling all day asking us to hold stuff because they saw on hands for our store. Most didn't wanna hear us explain how our inventory doesn't update until the next day.
And now I feel slightly guilty about telling guests that it isn't scanning as discontinued so yeah, we'll probably get more in sometime. Because we're not a high volume store, pretty sure. But then again, our store has had very little communication about this promotion. If it weren't for this site, I'd be wondering why people were scrambling to set up a table before open this morning.

We lasted seven minutes. I've got some nail polish, a couple lip sticks, three strings of lights and an already returned xxl top. A makeup bag showed up in reshop and made the day off one of our tms.

It was sickening, and spot is gonna have to rethink launches going forward. This wasn't thought out and many tms were feeling unsafe with the scuffles and pushiness. Limits, etc need to be out in place. Not to mention website support. It went down for HOURS. Again.

What bothered me most was that officially spot had no limits on quantities per guest. I know some stores set their own limits. We were not one of those stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back