Archived Tax Free weekend 2015 sponsored by apathy

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Tis my weekend off :)

I do have some school shopping to do for my son, so I'm debating on whether or not to come in and point and laugh at all my co-workers while I use my TM discount/Redcard and get everything tax free. But I don't know if it'll be worth trying to brave the crowds...still deciding.
It's just like Black Friday or thanksgiving/Christmas/easter. Retail workers should never shop if they are off.

They have a Target in DE very conveniently placed by the PA/DE border so that's where I shop if I want to save some money. I can't imagine paying tax on clothing though; PA and NJ never did it.

They have a Target in DE very conveniently placed by the PA/DE border so that's where I shop if I want to save some money. I can't imagine paying tax on clothing though; PA and NJ never did it.

My wife told me that one of NJs governors briefly had a sales tax that hit toilet paper and the citizens of NJ took that rather badly.
The phrase 'being taxed to wipe my ass' got used a lot and he got sent rolls of toilet sometimes by hand into the trees around the governors mansion.
Needless to say that tax got revoked pretty quick.

My wife told me that one of NJs governors briefly had a sales tax that hit toilet paper and the citizens of NJ took that rather badly.
The phrase 'being taxed to wipe my ass' got used a lot and he got sent rolls of toilet sometimes by hand into the trees around the governors mansion.
Needless to say that tax got revoked pretty quick.

Hmmm... I always heard my dad say bad things about Florio, but never knew why. Then I just found this...

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/02/n...ters-demand-florio-s-recall-for-starters.html

Can't imagine 195 backed up all the way. :eek:

It's just like Black Friday or thanksgiving/Christmas/easter. Retail workers should never shop if they are off.
I wouldn't say "just like." The madness of Black Friday is maybe somwhat comparable but no, it's not the same. We don't have lines snaking around the building with people waiting to get in, and every single register open on tax free weekend as we do on Black Friday.

However, I think it's a little unfair to say that I shouldn't take advantage of the extra discounts of tax-free weekend just because I was scheduled off. I'm a single mom who doesn't get a cent of child support, and I bust my ass for only 10.50 an hour. I have school supplies to buy for my son and for myself. Therefore, with tax-free weekend going on, plus my Redcard and TM discount and Cartwheel, I think the best deal is with Target for me this weekend. Not going to bypass it just because somebody might be jealous that I'm not working. Sorry bout cha. I gotta take care of mine the best way I can.

Now, if I had requested off just to shop I could see what you mean. But that is not the case.

My old store was slammed (saw the parking lot) & one of the TMs told me some folks came in just for AC since it's 103 outside.
I got my few things & sped back home to the AC.
NOT going out again.

I wouldn't say "just like." The madness of Black Friday is maybe somwhat comparable but no, it's not the same. We don't have lines snaking around the building with people waiting to get in, and every single register open on tax free weekend as we do on Black Friday.

However, I think it's a little unfair to say that I shouldn't take advantage of the extra discounts of tax-free weekend just because I was scheduled off. I'm a single mom who doesn't get a cent of child support, and I bust my ass for only 10.50 an hour. I have school supplies to buy for my son and for myself. Therefore, with tax-free weekend going on, plus my Redcard and TM discount and Cartwheel, I think the best deal is with Target for me this weekend. Not going to bypass it just because somebody might be jealous that I'm not working. Sorry bout cha. I gotta take care of mine the best way I can.

Now, if I had requested off just to shop I could see what you mean. But that is not the case.
Yeah, I agree that it's different. I meant it more in the way that we as retail workers shouldn't support these types of sales, but tax free is more for the consumer than the business. Maybe.

I was in FR /Op both dats. There was one other person sscheduked in softlines with me all day both days. It was shameful. I am disgusted. That was to increase profits no matter how miserable it was for the tms. Yes, it was very nice that they bought lunch both days, but I dont eat that stuff snd there will never be any piece of free food that serves as an insentive to me.
I went in to tsc at the end of my shift. The whole management team was sitting there. I asked , "why were only 2 people scheduled in softlines both days?" They just stared. You could hear a pin drop. I repeated the question and someone said " i dont know"

Because Target is run by cheap bastards who have no idea how to make a long term profit and keep a company growing.

My stl did come over to the FR yesterday to help me. Our tls work very hard, but Ill never understand how payroll has to be earned. STUPID

As predicted, a bad day. Understaffed in the backroom during a busy weekend as usual. I don't know how it happened but my helper and I got all of the caf batches done on time. We only needed help with the 12pm caf batches. My helper had to shave off 40 minutes before 630pm. Thankfully, he took a long lunch and left at 540pm. I clocked out before 6pm for lunch so I didn't get meal compliance. I was thankful for that but still a disaster. No back stock was done. I spent 10 minutes moving pallets in the freezer right before I clocked out tonight because there is a fun FDC truck tomorrow. Some people at the store I work at are idiots. They put the FDC pallets in the middle of the freezer when there was room up against the freezer wall. I was able to move 3 pallets by moving them up against the freezer wall.

No. Even when you bend over backwards and make it easy as hell. Just flat out laziness. My two biggest pet peeves in the backroom: back stocking tons of product with only STO during the caf batch hours and blocking backroom locations in freezers and coolers. It's incredibly rude to go into the freezer and have to move pallets for 10 minutes just to scan 1 item. I'm worried about tomorrow. I think it's going to be a lot worse tomorrow. At least they weren't understaffed and actually scheduled people to work the the pulls and bts pulls.

I pity Virginia. In addition to clothing...

• Most school/office supplies, such as pens, loose-leaf paper, scissors, binders, backpacks and construction paper, will be tax-exempt as long as each item costs $20 or less.
  • Items that may be needed to prepare for an emergency, priced at $60 or less each, will be exempt from sales tax; examples include batteries, flashlights, bottled water, tarps, duct tape, fire extinguishers, cell-phone chargers, smoke detectors, buckets, rope and first aid kits.
along with portable generators, Energy Star products under $2,500, and WaterSense-product under $2,500

Nice they're doing something for the environment, but damn that school supply bit is gonna murder them. Should just LOCU the entire STAT/OFCE section and throw it all on the floor.

I would never shop on BF ( no thanks) I can't deal with that craziness.......I enjoy a bargain like everyone else but it's just crazy and if I was off on Tax free day I definitely wouldn't make a trip either.

I pity Virginia. In addition to clothing...
along with portable generators, Energy Star products under $2,500, and WaterSense-product under $2,500

Nice they're doing something for the environment, but damn that school supply bit is gonna murder them. Should just LOCU the entire STAT/OFCE section and throw it all on the floor.
Being in Va, we handle it quite well. Provided we don't run out of certain school supplies.

Yesterday was the first day of our tax-free week. It was RIDICULOUS in the store. On top of softlines getting hammered, so did the BTS section. Lots of kids leaving to go to school this week. I work from yesterday through Thursday. Thankfully, I'm off Friday and Saturday. I don't know if I'd be able to survive an entire week like that!

7-9 was our tax free weekend. I manage to get Saturday off so the tales from Friday and Sunday:
  • The tax wasn't coming off oon Friday so all cashiers had a list and manually removed tax, Which was tons of fun for me at the service desk
  • BTS and stationary was a disaster zone. So was softlines. Poor kids. I give the BTS tm and the softlines team credit though
  • We had a list from the government on what was and was not to be taxed and people still complained about it. No that video game isn't tax free. Neither are the sheets for your kids dorm. I don't know why index cards are taxed, no I don't have the authority to not tax it, leave me alone
  • We were also doing absolutely no holds on anything whatsoever (even though school supplies, clothes, and diapers were the only things tax free) which led to many pissed off people
  • Surprisingly no one tried to get me to take the tax off of stuff they bought last week.
  • I wanted to shoot myself but I got done khakis and note book paper tax free so B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back