Archived Team Lead 18 month promotion rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I was just promoted to a Team Lead, and the position I wanted just opened up. But they haven't said no yet, but I feel like they are yanking my chain. I asked them to speak to Mr.Head up Hr lady. I haven't been with Target for long, but we've spoken about a fast track to ETL. But I honestly rather be SFT and try to become DFM one day. It's very rare for SFT to open up, so does anyone have any ideas on how to bypass the 18 month promotion rule?

Last edited by a moderator:
18 month promotion rule

Hey! Anyone have a idea how to bypass such a stupid rule? lol.

Well, thank you for the info. But, I never said I didn't like my area, i'm happy I have a job. But if a opportunity opened up for you to better yourself, and to move forward in life i'm sure you would try to take it. That's what i'm trying to do, but thank you for the feedback :)

Are you a TL or an ETL Merrric? The rule is primarily for the ETLs and up. It is not as strict with TLs, but I would say it has gotten stricter lately. It is really up to your STL when you move to a new area. If you are an ETL, it is primarily up to your DTL...and don't count him/her breaking the rule if you are an ETL.

I would recommend letting your ETL and STL know that you are interested in another area, but don't push the issue.

Why would you say don't push the issue? My ETL wouldn't let me move trust me on that, since i've taken the TL Position I've raised the Bar in the area, and have even gotten DTL and Business partner vibe cards and pats on the back. So, he likes me in the area, I haven't been able to talk to the STL but I did email him telling him I did apply. I want to talk to him and explain to him why I did, so he can understand why. We also have "Two" Benched team members to become team leads, and one of them could replace me with a couple days of training.

I mean don't push it in the sense of not asking about it constantly. Some people think this shows ambition and drive, but there is a limit. At some point it just looks like you are don't like your job. Just a piece of advice having had people go at if both ways.

What is the new position? Is is a promotion?

Either way, good luck!

I'm Currently a CTL, and trying to move to SFT. I was/am on the SFT Bench Program, and I have my degree and currently going back to school for my business degree. And thank you, I just think it would be a amazing opportunity for me not on self level but on the building blocks in target in the direction I wouldn't mind going if I stayed with Target full time.

So anyone else have any details? My current ETL who si blunt with me told me no. But I still haven't spoken to my STL about it since he's been on vacation.

Were you told about the 18 months before you took the position? I'm not sure about paygrades, but if it's lateral I don't see the big deal with it.

I am assuming that you are a stellar ctl? If you want to move up at spot, you have to be stellar. On the sft job, you can apply for it, then do it.

According to my HR promotions aren't part of the 18 month rule (for TLs anyway). Lateral moves, though, are subject to the 18 month rule.

So, well my only big concern is how do I promote myself to my STL? That's my major concern, I'm going to ask him to speak to me when I see him. And I've only been CTL for about 2 months, but since i've become CTL I've raised the bar, from last year we've made over 15k above. I've changed the routines, and rearranged displays. I'm very proactive, and i've gotten Business partner feed back and District feedback Via verbal and email. So, but SFT is just a way better fit for me.

So, well my only big concern is how do I promote myself to my STL? That's my major concern, I'm going to ask him to speak to me when I see him. And I've only been CTL for about 2 months, but since i've become CTL I've raised the bar, from last year we've made over 15k above. I've changed the routines, and rearranged displays. I'm very proactive, and i've gotten Business partner feed back and District feedback Via verbal and email. So, but SFT is just a way better fit for me.

I know you won't want to hear this, but I cannot see a scenario in which I would have you change jobs/promote with only being in position for 2 months. The reality of the situation is that while you are seeing some good results, you have only been doing it for 2 months. A lot times just getting a good leader into a position will boost results quickly. I would continue to share your interest, but don't get your hopes up about moving that quickly. Stay engaged and keep in mind that there will be more opportunities down the road.

Yes, I know. I mean, I understand the chances are slim but i'm still going to try for it. I mean, I won't be at target forever. At least I don't plan on it, I didn't go to school to work retail. To me it's a pit stop. But if I had to pick a job I wanted it would be the one i'm interested in. It was the one I was going for a few months ago, and the only reason I didn't get it is because of a transfer, who had 10-15 years of experience. Who didn't mesh with the team and decided to just leave.

Yes, I know. I mean, I understand the chances are slim but i'm still going to try for it. I mean, I won't be at target forever. At least I don't plan on it, I didn't go to school to work retail. To me it's a pit stop. But if I had to pick a job I wanted it would be the one i'm interested in. It was the one I was going for a few months ago, and the only reason I didn't get it is because of a transfer, who had 10-15 years of experience. Who didn't mesh with the team and decided to just leave.

The reality of the situation is just because you want it, doesn't mean you're going to get it. Target doesn't work like that. Unfortunately, unlike you make a decent enough case to HR, you're stuck.

Oh, well it's not like i'm going to be upset or anything. I didn't come to the forums to get a pity party. All I did was ask for advice. Advice is nice, trying to seek to see if anyone else had a similar situation. My current Hr is trying to talk to the STL to approve it, at least she says she is.

I am definitely hoping it works. SFT really is a cool job. It would be toward the top of my best TL jobs at Target list.

Well thank you Yepan, and honestly thank you for all the advice, and feed back. You sir rock. I wonder if you are a STL, either or. Thank you, and i'll tell you guys once I find out.

Hey, I was just promoted to a Team Lead, and the position I wanted just opened up. But they haven't said no yet, but I feel like they are yanking my chain. I asked them to speak to Mr.Head up Hr lady. I haven't been with Target for long, but we've spoken about a fast track to ETL. But I honestly rather be SFT and try to become DFM one day. It's very rare for SFT to open up, so does anyone have any ideas on how to bypass the 18 month promotion rule?

If DFM is your ultimate goal then you have better odds going TL > ETL > DFM than you do SFT > DFM. Why? Because DFM is an exempt, district-level (sometimes multiple district) position. So you'd have to go SFT > ETL > DFM and it's pretty rare for an SFT to get promoted to ETL.

I do have it, and i'm working on my 3rd....go Business. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back