Archived team leader bench vs transferring..help me please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been with the company since graduating high school (2007).I never considered target a career for me, so I just floated through learning positions. I've worked salesfloor (hardlines), transferred to overnight flow, for more hours I learned the signing and price accuracy process. My current role is an overnight human resources tm. I've seen countless tls/etls/ and stls come and go. The current stl saw me lead the overnight team and had no idea I was so global and told me he wanted to make me a tl. He is the first leader to ever recognize leadership status in me. However since we had that conversation, I was already applying to a different store for a tl position. I'm extremely sure I'm getting the position at the new store, but my stl wants me to withdraw and be on the bench for store. What to do? I want to develop at my current store, but I know ill be waiting on the bench for months as opposed to an immediate position now.

Tough call.
As things stand you could be on the bench a long time.
If the other store wants you, I'd go for it.

It's a trap. The STL has been contacted that the other store wants you as team lead hence he is saying "Stay here as team member". Being benched isnt guaranteed team lead position. I would definitely Transfer.

i promise you. you do not want that job unless you already have an awesome instocks, backroom and flow team. you will be a babysitter and will make yourself crazy with the workload unless you KNOW there are good teams in place. It is the absolute most ridiculous idea to combine those two positions.

I would definitely transfer. I don't think being on the bench is a good idea, considering the recent cuts/merging.
We have a few TMs who have been in development for months and even years. We have a couple that
are on the bench. I say transfer is the way to go.

But is it possible that you won't get your STL's blessing and you won't get the transfer/position because of it? He/she doesn't have to let you go...

I didn't know I needed his permission, I thought I only had to let my supervisors know which are the hr tl's and the etl hr. I'm having major doubts about transferring. It's a multi level store, that's number 1 in its district. The pay would be more, but there's a commute involved and I love the team at my store, however I feel as though leading people whom I've become friends with is fairly difficult than managing strangers. And I definitely, DON'T want to burn any bridges with my current store in case I need to transfer back.

If moving up at Target is your goal in life, go to the other store.
That tends to be the best way to learn the processes across the board and truly understand best practice.

Otherwise stick with your friends and make plans to go someplace else.

I would transfer if TL is what you really want to do, and if it seems like a done deal at the other store. The bench isn't an ideal place to be right now if you're really wanting to be a TL because stores (unless in very special circumstances) have to move people around to fill TL places as they are vacated because of the wonderful new head count AE 14 has called for.

That is a very difficult decision. I honestly had a hard time leaving my store and it wasn't even a TL position it was signing (but that store paid 2.50 more for base level positions too lol so it was a 4$ raise) just because I really liked my store and the leadership. But honestly, seeing how long things can take with promotions and such I'd say go for it. You might be on the bench a LONG time. When I got to my 2nd store in 2 years I only saw 1 TL change, and that was because one left for another company and a transfer came in from another state (so it wasn't even posted that the position was available)... I'd say maybe stop in the store some time and see what the store's moral is like if you have a chance...

The "bench" is a joke, take the new store and don't ever let anyone at Targrt carrot on the stick you. The bench is a joke because they make you interview to get on it and yet I've seen people have to interview again to actually get the position, that's if you don't sit there for years on end.

logistics TL was my dream job as well. I absolutely loved loved loved it. there is a ridiculous amount of work put on you that truly, even the ultimate rockstar TL cannot get done if you do not have at least FIVE epically awesome team members that you can rely on, develop etc to help with your workload. i had five, but we are ULv so I had to constantly share my five with other teams and I always drew the short straw when making schedules. which is why i am no longer a LTL. It is the hardest TL job in the store. i promise.

Definitely try to transfer if you're capable! I told my ETL's i was interested in transferring late last week, and they already found some open TL positions I could move into. Plus you get the experience of working in a new store and becoming a lot more global

Leave Target immediately and don't look back. Save yourself and get your soul back.

TL jobs are a joke these days. your basically doing everything the ETLs don't wanna do because there is no more sales floor people around anymore.

This. Also I expect that there will be further TL job reductions next year anyway.

I don't think flow team leads will ever be eliminated. It was by far my favorite TL position. You will work hard,very hard. The upside is that you will get your 10,000 steps easily a day. You arms will be as toned as Michelle Obamas. You actually lead a team. If you gain the respect of the team they will not dissappoint. The downside is that you will have all kinds of stuff leak drop and spill on you. Pickle juice and spaghetti sauce ruined more than a few pairs of khakis. If you have call ins, you have to make the best of it. 4am is too early to call someone to come in extra. I would take the the position that is more of a sure thing. My current store uses the "bench" as more of a way to get team members to go way above and beyond in hopes of a position that may or may not ever materialize. The 2 bench warmers we have now have been in waiting for almost 2 years.

I don't think flow team leads will ever be eliminated. It was by far my favorite TL position. You will work hard,very hard. The upside is that you will get your 10,000 steps easily a day. You arms will be as toned as Michelle Obamas. You actually lead a team. If you gain the respect of the team they will not dissappoint. The downside is that you will have all kinds of stuff leak drop and spill on you. Pickle juice and spaghetti sauce ruined more than a few pairs of khakis. If you have call ins, you have to make the best of it. 4am is too early to call someone to come in extra. I would take the the position that is more of a sure thing. My current store uses the "bench" as more of a way to get team members to go way above and beyond in hopes of a position that may or may not ever materialize. The 2 bench warmers we have now have been in waiting for almost 2 years.
ugh... I hope that's not my situation... I have been interviews May 6th I believe... (first "prep" interview tomorrow with the 6th being the district, as we're sending someone for SrTL interview at the same time..) I was hoping for something rather quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back