Archived Team member exodus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
Has anyone ever seen a team member exodus? Where more than one TM collaborates to leave Target at the same time, as an act of rebellion, and as a way to temporarily screw HR?

Up to 5 or 6 TMs may be quitting at the same time as me. We are all fed up with this company and our store, and are ready to leave for various reasons.

I don't think I'd call it a mass exodus, but we recently had three TM's on the flow team plan to all leave at once. They were going to transfer to another Target (where they heard it was a lot "better"), move to that city and get an apartment together. One was experienced and was an unofficial leader on the flow team, but had trouble following direction from his TL and ETL as he thought he was an expert of the process (he was also educated and intelligent, but full of himself). Another was an experienced flow/backroom TM who worked a lot of hours. The other was an average flow TM.

Only two actually left. The average TM stayed, and is trying to develop to promote. The educated flow TM left Target and is working as an unpaid intern somewhere. The flow/backroom TM is working backroom night shift exclusively at his new store. He says it's fun. After losing two of the three TM's, our flow team is doing better than ever and is back to coming clean every truck day, something they hadn't done in months.

TM's do a lot of talking about leaving en masse, with the belief that their store will... I don't know. Capitulate and offer raises all around? Beg those TM's to stay? In the end, not everyone leaves, and those that do, get replaced. None of us are irreplaceable, whether you work front end, flow, AP, or are an ETL. There's always someone else coming along looking for a job.

I usually hear a lot of chatter but it's always just words. People are together until it's time to commit to the exodus. We had a TM trying to get people to quit with him. He ended up leaving alone. Hard to pass up a job for the unknown. I could see it happening if everyone leaving had a job to go to.

Target would only feel a slight punch if the entire leadership team of a store walked out. TMs walking out is barely a pinch

For this to be effective it would have to be on a massive scale like having an entire district unionize and walk out on strike at once.

Quitting would have little effect because retail is already a high turnover business. They would just get support help from another store until new hires could be brought in.

Something like this will not hurt the company.
It will slightly hurt the store leaders, but most importantly, it will hurt the other team members you would be screwing by leaving.
If you want to make change, this really isn't the proper way to do it. Realign your focus and think of a new plan.

I don't even want to say how many team members we lost last month or are at the end of their two weeks this month.

How many instances have you seen a TM complain about their TL/ETL and transfer to another store to escape what they think is an "impossible situation"? It appears to me you would be starting all over again and "the grass is always greener" scenario would be a fail in most cases. It frustrates me because I believe this person wants to transfer only because of the way they "feel they're being treated". When I was asked my opinion I stated: "Overall reality, it's a retail job. You clock in, you do good work, you get paid, you clock out." Now, I do not agree with a lot of processes, training etc, but after I was able to see past those quirks about "the company" and "the culture". It's really an easy place to work, even with a few bad seeds (which you'll find at "any job"). I have a lot of respect for our store overall. After some patience and of course studying this forum in my 1st 90 days, it's all good. Everybody's different and yes, a.s.a.n.t.s.

The sad thing is they don't care if any of us walk out...or a group of us for that matter. Leadership make think Oh crap! they walked out on us ...not because they think they lost valued tm's but because they may have to do a lil bit of work...to pick up the slack.

If you really want to screw your store, just get a labor union vote to happen.

All leadership will be gone, immediately.

As a very respected leader, I contemplated this more than once but ultimately decided the overarching consequences for the entire team made it not worth it.

I think everyone fantasizes about doing this at some point or another, but the fact of the matter is, the store will go on with or without you. Some things might not be done as well as it was when you were around, but they will manage.

My store fired 40 or 50 people in two weeks due to apology coupon abuse. They were replaced pretty quickly.

My store fired 40 or 50 people in two weeks due to apology coupon abuse. They were replaced pretty quickly.
My store has been hiring continuously since fall just trying to keep up with the "normal" Target turnover, there is NO way it could replace that many people that quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back