Archived Team members calling for their schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past few weeks at my store have been bad for this. It never fails that every single time I work guest services, I get at least one TM who calls the store and expects me to drop everything (including the huge line of guests at guest services) to go look at the schedule to see when they work next. Apparently keeping track of one's own schedule is no longer the "in" thing to do.

I talked with an LOD about this, who told me that I was to no longer give out that information over the phone and to tell the TMs they were welcome to come in and look it up themselves. He also wanted a list of all the TMs that I could remember that have called requesting their next scheduled time (which naturally I never had a chance to do). The next day, when I had a TM call for her schedule, she was indignant, couldn't believe that we would make her drive to the store, that it wasn't her fault everyone else was calling asking for their schedule, and how could I do this to her? Since this was her first time (that I was aware of) I relented and looked up her schedule for her. *sigh*

How do other stores handle this? It has become a massive problem, and frankly, I'm done. I'm incredibly tempted to start telling people the wrong times (tell them they work an hour earlier than they really do). But that's snarky and childish, so I won't do that.

Make a grid, list every TM who calls (with dates); don't tell them you're taking down their names - just turn it into leadership after a week & let them deal with it during huddle or whenever.
We had a kid who actually blamed an operator for 'giving him the WRONG schedule' when he didn't show up. When he came to pick up his check, he almost didn't get out alive.
It may have been the TM's first time but I guarantee it won't be her last.

I know at my old store the HR TM would help out when he answered the phone but if you got anybody else you were out of luck.
He was at the desk next to the schedule and from what I gathered made a habit of letting the bosses know if someone made did it too often.

we never give out hours unless it's someone coming off an LOA and are out of town and want to make sure they make their first shift. That is the only time.

Our store doesn't really have a problem with this, even before we started using MyTime. Sometimes people would call to confirm the start of their next shift, but I've never had anyone ask for their entire schedule over the phone.

I never give schedule information out over the phone. I send the call to the LOD and let them deal with it. That's how I was taught. Evidently we can get fired to giving out schedule information over the phone.

I had one store that would never give out schedules over the phone unless a TM gave prior notice on being on long leave, had been sick, or got their schedule through an ETL.

Another store had a password system (store number or Target word) to give the operator to get the schedule.

Somebody calling for their schedule is a very rare occurrence at our store, so we will usually look if someone is in TSC. Most the people who call are either returning from LOA or a vacation and want to check their first shift.

Last edited:
Wow, why is everyone so cold about this? I don't see it as such a big deal. I've lost (or washed with my clothing) my schedule several times, always call and go straight to LOD who has no problem telling me what my next shift is. Never been an issue.

Things happen, jeez.

Come in and look at it, lol. I'd rather just call out. It's a 24 mile drive (each way) for me to get to my store. Not burning ~3 gallons of gas because someone can't walk to TSC.

Well there is the chance that someone is pretending to be you and asking for your schedule so they can stalk you.

Also there's the chance that I give you your schedule on the phone, you don't show up, you blame it on me, and then you might get away with an NCNS. My old store never did it. I don't know about my new one.

I've only had a team member call in once and request their schedule since I've worked at Target. I didn't mind telling them, but I might find it more annoying if it were more frequent.

I'm cold about it because it never ends. And I can't be expected to leave my line at guest services to run to the TSC when it's always the same people doing it over and over again. When I have a line at guest services, my first priority needs to be the guests...not a TM who can't be bothered to be an adult and take care of themselves.

I'm cold about it because it never ends. And I can't be expected to leave my line at guest services to run to the TSC when it's always the same people doing it over and over again. When I have a line at guest services, my first priority needs to be the guests...not a TM who can't be bothered to be an adult and take care of themselves.

Your LODs should stop letting people call and ask for their schedule. It's RIDICULOUS that TMs honestly expect you to leave GS to check their schedule. If anything, I just transfer the call to someone near TSC.

Wow, I can't believe that! How hard is it to just write down your own schedule after it gets posted? They post it in advance, and unless you don't work for an entire week, then you should have access to it while you're at the store for your shift; there's no need to drive to the store just to look at your schedule.

I'd be way too paranoid to call and ask for my schedule, anyway. What if they got mixed up and told me the wrong date or time? Then I'd be in big trouble.

I'd be way too paranoid to call and ask for my schedule, anyway. What if they got mixed up and told me the wrong date or time? Then I'd be in big trouble.

I've done that, except I wrote it down wrong myself, no error on anyone else's part.

I actually showed up to work after my shift was over for the day because of it. Luckily I explained to the STL, and rather than considering it a no-call-no-show (worst case scenario) or sending me home (what I figured would happen if not fire me), he just had me work when I came in.

Shift was supposed to be 10-4, I wrote down 4-10, showed up at 4, went to punch in, saw that I was late and needed to see the LOD, thought it was surely an error, rechecked the schedule to be sure, and realized the error was on my part and was quite sure I was in deep shit at that point. I was rather shocked, and happy when he just had me work 4-10:15 instead of sending me home or firing me.

Tonight's request? The TM who called wanted to know when he worked on Thursday. Seriously. Yes, he works both tomorrow and Tuesday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to the LOD who was on tonight about this trend.

Same Situation

Well there is the chance that someone is pretending to be you and asking for your schedule so they can stalk you.

Also there's the chance that I give you your schedule on the phone, you don't show up, you blame it on me, and then you might get away with an NCNS. My old store never did it. I don't know about my new one.

Our LOD's tell us the same thing. Anyone could easily pretend to be you.

The past few weeks at my store have been bad for this. It never fails that every single time I work guest services, I get at least one TM who calls the store and expects me to drop everything (including the huge line of guests at guest services) to go look at the schedule to see when they work next. Apparently keeping track of one's own schedule is no longer the "in" thing to do.

I talked with an LOD about this, who told me that I was to no longer give out that information over the phone and to tell the TMs they were welcome to come in and look it up themselves. He also wanted a list of all the TMs that I could remember that have called requesting their next scheduled time (which naturally I never had a chance to do). The next day, when I had a TM call for her schedule, she was indignant, couldn't believe that we would make her drive to the store, that it wasn't her fault everyone else was calling asking for their schedule, and how could I do this to her? Since this was her first time (that I was aware of) I relented and looked up her schedule for her. *sigh*

How do other stores handle this? It has become a massive problem, and frankly, I'm done. I'm incredibly tempted to start telling people the wrong times (tell them they work an hour earlier than they really do). But that's snarky and childish, so I won't do that.

Wow, so here is what a competent manager (LOD) would do.

1. Recognize that calling guest service for the schedule is a problem because you are busy with guests. (this is legit)
2. Recognize that sh** happens and sometimes a TM may need to call to get their schedule... and that it will cause the store even bigger problems when a TM no call no shows because they didn't have their schedule.
3. In light of number 2 above, make sure that a print out of the schedule is wherever the hell your stores operator is at.
4. Since operator sits down and takes calls all day anyway, they can easily look at it when a TM calls.

This is how it is at my store and at my old store I used to work at and has been for years. The operator *always* has a schedule and a daily grid. I am honestly amazed your store doesn't have it setup this way.... the operator can be a highly valuable resource for the store if used to its maximum potential. The operator should not be limited to answering calls from guests. The position is intended (at a properly managed store, anyway) to be a resource of information for both TM's and guests. Frankly, if the operator isn't be used for things like this, you are wasting payroll.

Your LOD literally wanted a list of people who had called? LOL ROFL what a juvenile thing to do. Let me guess, 22 years old fresh out college? Probably an art history major exercising all their management skills.

Spot sent out communication in 1Qtr last year stating that it violated some privacy laws to give the schedule information over the phone. As a result at the time my store cracked down and for 7-8 months no one was to give schedules over the phone. That was until we had our GSTL's change and then the new to the company GSTL started taking these calls during their shift and giving them out to people on the phone.

There is a problem with doing this:

1) Calling in clogs up the phones for guests (especially during the 4th qtr).
2) If your Operator is anywhere other than TSC it is a violation of right to privacy for a schedule to be posted anywhere a guest can get a hold of it per OSHA.
3) While I do agree TMs/TLs coming off vacation or LOA should be allowed to call its a hard line.
4) Technically, you have no proof that the person you are speaking to on the phone is who they say they are. This can cause issues for some of us who have restraining orders against certain individuals.
5) We are all responsible people (or at least we are supposed to be) its not the responsibility of anyone who answers the store phone to get your schedule that you lost, washed, didn't write down, etc.
6) Most of us have smart phones these days and can easily put our schedule on our phone.
7) Albeit rare for most stores, AP can coach you for copying the schedule either by phone (picture) or copy machine. As they have no proof of what your intent is with the other TM schedules you take with you (came from my ETL-AP). So, remember that if you do either of those.

I am not a hard line person. However, I have CYA'd myself many times by sticking to Best Practice no matter what because in the end I can't be coached for doing what Spot says I am supposed to do.

Meh, when I was operator I would occasionally get calls about scheduling. I generally run a reasonable discussion in my head asking myself:

-Are they just asking me when they come in today only?
-Is this just one of those once in a while things because sometimes things go wrong?
-Do I actually KNOW this Team member? (And generally I had a pretty good knowledge of recognizing team members).
-Do I actually have a reasonable amount of time to pull out the binder?

If yes to all four, then I just tell them they work at 4 or whatever and next time to actually write down their schedule because I'll be a lot less polite if they do this again soon.

Wow, so here is what a competent manager (LOD) would do.

1. Recognize that calling guest service for the schedule is a problem because you are busy with guests. (this is legit)
2. Recognize that sh** happens and sometimes a TM may need to call to get their schedule... and that it will cause the store even bigger problems when a TM no call no shows because they didn't have their schedule.
3. In light of number 2 above, make sure that a print out of the schedule is wherever the hell your stores operator is at.
4. Since operator sits down and takes calls all day anyway, they can easily look at it when a TM calls.

This is how it is at my store and at my old store I used to work at and has been for years. The operator *always* has a schedule and a daily grid. I am honestly amazed your store doesn't have it setup this way.... the operator can be a highly valuable resource for the store if used to its maximum potential. The operator should not be limited to answering calls from guests. The position is intended (at a properly managed store, anyway) to be a resource of information for both TM's and guests. Frankly, if the operator isn't be used for things like this, you are wasting payroll.

Your LOD literally wanted a list of people who had called? LOL ROFL what a juvenile thing to do. Let me guess, 22 years old fresh out college? Probably an art history major exercising all their management skills.

I don't even know where to start with this one. First, it is rarely today's schedule they are asking for...though that does happen. It's generally for tomorrow or whenever the next time they work is, because they couldn't be bothered to write down their schedule or even look at the schedule before they left for the day. So no, they are not going to copy off the entire binder to have at guest services. And I have a hard time believing your store has multiple copies of two or three binders floating around all the time.

Second, the operator (in our store also known as the GSTM) sits down all day? Maybe at your store. But at mine, there is no place for our guest services person to sit down, and they would be in trouble for doing so, anyway. We are on our feet assisting guests all day, thank you very much. Taking phone calls is only about one of ten things the person behind guest services does. I would suggest getting with your guest services team to find out what they really do (or should be doing) all day. The idea that our existence is wasting payroll is insulting.

Third, leave the LOD alone. He's smart enough to know that those doing it are most likely repeat offenders who will continue to do this and waste everyone's time until they grow up and learn they need to take some responsibility for checking their own schedule.

It's still boggling my mind that people would call for their schedule and expect the Operator or Guest Services to look it up for them. Why not ask for someone who is actually able to get to the schedule...?

The issue here doesn't seem to be TMs calling in for their schedule, it's that they are asking the wrong person to get it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back