Archived Team Trainer...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in hardlines and a few days ago our HR TM came up to me and asked if I would like a trainer badge. No one has said anything to me about being a "team trainer". How does one become a team trainer?? Should I expect a pay raise (doubt it lol)?? What does this all mean exactly??

It just means that you will Train new TM. Essentially it's a nod from on high that they like your style and they want you to keep that shit up. They like what you are doing SO MUCH that they want people to do exactly what you do. That way when you get promoted to a TL for doing such a good job, someone is trained to be your carbon copy. Some TM in my store rejected being a Trainer because they didn't want to deal with the "new people". Idiots. Accept that shit with a grin and walk away.

It just means that you will Train new TM. Essentially it's a nod from on high that they like your style and they want you to keep that shit up. They like what you are doing SO MUCH that they want people to do exactly what you do. That way when you get promoted to a TL for doing such a good job, someone is trained to be your carbon copy. Some TM in my store rejected being a Trainer because they didn't want to deal with the "new people". Idiots. Accept that shit with a grin and walk away.

They may like what I do, but you want me to train you can pay me for it. Newbies has nothing to do with it. Money had everything to do with it.

If you already feel like your workload is too much, don't take it. You are given the responsibility of quickly and properly training new TMs as well as keeping up with the involved paperwork. On the other hand, it could be good experience to be able to bring up later if you are looking to move up the hierarchy.
At my store, I would not recommend becoming a team trainer, but your store's training situation may be different.

I am supposedly a Team Trainer, but I trained people before that was officially so on a regular basis, and no new name badge thus far, so basically no difference whether I'd said yes or no at my store.

I work in hardlines and a few days ago our HR TM came up to me and asked if I would like a trainer badge. No one has said anything to me about being a "team trainer". How does one become a team trainer?? Should I expect a pay raise (doubt it lol)?? What does this all mean exactly??

There is no raise for being a trainer. You may have to take a quiz on the computer, I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

If you're having any doubts, just remember that your trainees can help you complete your zone. :D

Quiz on computer that had nothing to do with training people, just a drink the Kool-aid summary.

I've not really trained anyone since I because a trainer...but the badge looks nifty.

Quiz on computer that had nothing to do with training people, just a drink the Kool-aid summary.

I've not really trained anyone since I because a trainer...but the badge looks nifty.

I liked the badge up until a couple of weeks ago...but then...

I had one guest yelling at me in the restroom (can't a girl pee in peace?) and demanded I get a manager. It was a front end issue, so I said I was the manager. She took one look at me and said, "no you aren't, your name tag says trainee." I corrected her, but the conversation had long left the rails.

Another guest was upset because I offered to do a no-receipt return for an item she didn't have the receipt for and wasn't on the card she insisted it was on. Kept telling me that wasn't acceptable and she would speak to a manager, blah, blah, blah. I told her I was the front end manager, to which she said, "no, your name tag says you are a trainer." I pointed out that I was both, to which she told me I still didn't know how to do my job, and she would take it to the other store and speak to their manager. Oy.

I had one guest yelling at me in the restroom (can't a girl pee in peace?) and demanded I get a manager. It was a front end issue, so I said I was the manager. She took one look at me and said, "no you aren't, your name tag says trainee." I corrected her, but the conversation had long left the rails.

Another guest was upset because I offered to do a no-receipt return for an item she didn't have the receipt for and wasn't on the card she insisted it was on. Kept telling me that wasn't acceptable and she would speak to a manager, blah, blah, blah. I told her I was the front end manager, to which she said, "no, your name tag says you are a trainer." I pointed out that I was both, to which she told me I still didn't know how to do my job, and she would take it to the other store and speak to their manager. Oy.

I'm not surprised considering that 14% of the population is subliterate.
Trainer is always going to become trainee.

Don't become a trainer. No raise, more work and more it expected of you. You have to babysit new hires when it should really be the TL's job.

I appreciate the nod b/c I have 0 interest in being a tl but like that they recognize I'm good at it. There is no paperwork I do . They changed the packets. I just make sure they take their quizzes.. & hand in their packets on time.

Don't become a trainer. No raise, more work and more it expected of you. You have to babysit new hires when it should really be the TL's job.
Yes, lets have the supervisor's not supervise their team so that they can focus on training new people.... or we can do something smart and have trainer's who can focus on training them.

On another note, I havent worked a truck in almost a month. I get to work a truck few days ago and BOOM i get to train a new guy, when I am trying to freshen up. He then comes and nitpicks the little shit that I do myself personally. Stuff that he wouldn't say anything about if I wasnt training someone. It's like damn, dude you do realize its been a month since my last truck, I am not gunna do everything perfectly to the book. AND to top things off, we had the truck pushed in 2 hours. How da fuck am I suppose to train a person well when have pushed a total of 2 paper, 2 pets and 2 houseware pallets(we each grabbed a pallet cause i dont mess around).

Yes, lets have the supervisor's not supervise their team so that they can focus on training new people.... or we can do something smart and have trainer's who can focus on training them.
Then you should be paid for doing so. If TL's don't have time to train new people, trainers should get a raise for doing something a TL can't do

Then you should be paid for doing so. If TL's don't have time to train new people, trainers should get a raise for doing something a TL can't do

Tl's don't have time to clean the bathrooms, should the Cart attendants get a raise for that? They don't have time to cover all the registers at the front lanes, should the cashiers get a raise for that?

These are hourly positions. If my TL tells me that I'm doing a good enough job that he wants someone to learn from me, I would truly have to possess zero respect for my work and my department to refuse unless I get paid more to do what I would normally do anyway. It's not like there's much downside or negative ramifications to being a trainer, unless you're in one of the worst possible stores where they expect you to be twice as efficient because there's two of you.

My TL cant do as many one -handed push-ups as me, should i get a raise for that??

My TL cant do as many one -handed push-ups as me, should i get a raise for that??
That;s completely irrelevant

Tl's don't have time to clean the bathrooms, should the Cart attendants get a raise for that? They don't have time to cover all the registers at the front lanes, should the cashiers get a raise for that?

These are hourly positions. If my TL tells me that I'm doing a good enough job that he wants someone to learn from me, I would truly have to possess zero respect for my work and my department to refuse unless I get paid more to do what I would normally do anyway. It's not like there's much downside or negative ramifications to being a trainer, unless you're in one of the worst possible stores where they expect you to be twice as efficient because there's two of you.

Also irrelevant. A CA cleaning bathrooms is in their core goals, and one cashier trying to cover all lanes is totally different from training one person. Being a trainer isn't an hourly position. Being expected to keep up with learning plans, certification, fixing what the new hire messed up and having to report back to your TL on their progress isn't something that that should be happening without a raise. I was a trainer when the beginning of season rolled around last year, when raises came I go 13 cents. The next day I told I didn't want to do it anymore. It's not fair I to waste my time with all this nonsense, especially for those people who quit after only a week. I'm not saying you make TL money, but a simple 20 cent trainer would be nice. Going from Cashier to GA get's you a raise, I don't know why being a trainer doesnt

I get the same problems with my nametag. The guests that do this are the same ones who see "check availability at store" online and then say " well, the website says you have it here," or the guests who can't be bothered to read ad signs or can't comprehend what they say. The subliteracy among Target guests never fails to amaze me.

As a team trainer, you get to mold people in your likeness! For example, I was showing a guy how to zone, and while doing that, I happened to find a dog squeak toy in Sporting Goods. After that, I'd squeak the toy every time he did something good that night in order to create a Pavlovian response in him to do well!

Going from Cashier to GA get's you a raise, I don't know why being a trainer doesnt

Because GSA's have to run the front lanes as GSTL's at times. There's increased responsibility and liability. There is no increased responsibility for team trainers. If the person you've trained makes a mistake, it doesn't fall on the trainer because the trainer isn't the one who signs off on the learning plans, it's the team lead.

I'm a trainer who has trained seven team members. I signed off on every learning plan. I am not a Team Lead. Let's just agree that Target is cheap - they expect more out of us for less pay. The bright side being, if the trainees are fuckups then I don't get in trouble for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back