Tech Team Lead

I haven't found anything on this here yet. Removing a direct lead from tech has made it extremely difficult to get anything done and have actual training for anyone coming in. We can't access training outside of work because "rules", so I'm usually the only one with walking knowledge on how everything comes together. It translates to poor-mediocre sales and an unfavorable experience for guests.

Was this the correct move to make by corp or is it just my store?

Not your problem.

Do your job to the best of your ability.

If sales are down, that is the fault of the store manager and all the ETLs. If guests have unfavorable experiences, that could cause those guests to stop shopping at Target which will negatively affect the sales in all departments. That is the fault of the store manager and all the ETLs.

People need to stop trying to take responsibility for things that Target does not pay you to be responsible for.

Your paycheck is based on the number of hours you work. Your paycheck does not change based on sales or guest experience.

Tech sales have slumped in our store with the rollout of the new ops model, ETL-SS is stretched thin between SL,Tech and beauty. TMs are left to fend for themselves.

My store's ETL-SS is horrible and abysmal. Lazy-ass is the best way to describe her.

The only one worse than her is my store's ETL-Service and Engagement. If she was a lazy-ass, that would be a massive improvement over her current performance.

I don't understand why either was hired or why either have not been fired.

Tech sales have slumped in our store with the rollout of the new ops model, ETL-SS is stretched thin between SL,Tech and beauty. TMs are left to fend for themselves.
If anything most ETL SS have less of an area now. Most stores had a GE, Saleslfoor, Log, and HR. If your salesfloor or Log went specialty sales they should have less work to do. Especially with Tech and Beauty running themselves in most stores

If anything most ETL SS have less of an area now. Most stores had a GE, Saleslfoor, Log, and HR. If your salesfloor or Log went specialty sales they should have less work to do. Especially with Tech and Beauty running themselves in most stores
Running themselves? More like ruining themselves.

Running themselves? More like ruining themselves.
I guess I can’t speak for other stores but the couple I’ve worked in, beauty and tech TMs have been some of my best TMs because they were modernized way before this whole thing rolled out. Not much changed for them. With the lack supervision I can see how they could go to shit pretty easily

Isn't that just a different way of saying the TMs of those areas are fending for themselves?
Sure if that’s how you want to interpret it. I was referring to the fact electronics and beauty were essentially DBOs before the idea even existed. I was just referring to the fact my beauty and electronics TMs are the last of my worries when it comes to productivity or just making sure things are getting done.

My ETL SS no one in any of her areas like her. She mostly just stays in style with the 2 style TLs and never steps over to Beauty or Tech. The Style Consultants can’t stand how she is micromanaging them. Beauty is struggling on all fronts. Tech is the only area that is ahead on all workload. Everything is communicated via Email I even had our DSD tell me to make sure I tag the DSD on the daily emails. I’m friends with the 2 Style TLs & between the 3 of us been pulling reports and all that is needed that truly the ETL SS should. During the TL Huddles Im included in in some form. In my opinion and I know it’s Asants but the ETL SS role is spread to thin & in all honesty each specialty sales area should have a TL. I know some will say I do more then what my pay is but my hours stay consistent no matter the time of year & I’m slightly under the base pay of a lead as it is so it’s all good to me. I know what the team is capable of and what their strengths & weaknesses are and I build on that. Trainings I get them printed out into a binder & set a goal date to have everyone trained on each via their my device. Sales are hit miss and that’s a known thing but it’s not from bad guest experiences as a area we had the top guest compliments for the season.

Spot has been moving away from the Tech TL position for a while (at least in lower volume stores). The idea has been that electronics/tech was already specialized long before beauty even existed, let alone the modernization processes. In theory it makes sense since the ETL SS would be able to take care of direct leadership in tech/beauty since they're smaller areas, while delegating the leadership to the style TLs for that section. In practice, this wasn't rolled out properly (surprising absolutely no one with any experience in a store) and the ETLs often only transitioned their role partially or not at all due simply to a lack of comfort or familiarity with the changes. Give it a year or two and more stores will have stuff figured out, but they'll never be 100% on board company wide, they never are.

Spot has been moving away from the Tech TL position for a while (at least in lower volume stores). The idea has been that electronics/tech was already specialized long before beauty even existed, let alone the modernization processes.
Well that does make sense. Tech has been pretty independent for some time, so capitalize on that self-sufficiency. But add in normal retail turnover and Spot's complete lack of a training program, it won't take long until the TMs in Tech are no longer independent and need as much help at Beauty and Style. Any department is only as independent as the TMs have proper training and practice. Ignoring the areas because they've worked well as they are for a long time really is leaving the TMs to fend for themselves unless there's been zero turnover for several years.

Softlines had been without decent (or any) leadership for a while when I was first hired, and that place was a hot mess. Holy crap. My years of experience coupled with a semi-knowledgable TM or two are what got me through. We have a pretty good crew now, but there are still a few who need to know that "people are watching" or they would just screw off all day and get very little done.

@Tessa120 is right, you can only leave an area without leadership for so long before the edges start fraying. Even a good long-time crew will begin having issues without proper guidance.

Back