Tell us something stupid your ETL has said

I’ll start by saying I have worked with some great ETL’s - probably why I know so much and have stayed so long And I appreciate the good ones from my past more with each passing day.
I will also say that the pool of applicants MUST be DRY because I don’t see any value in so many of the new hires.

‘This thread might get long because I am pretty certain there is no end to the question:
”what is something stupid your ETL has said ?”

I’ll go first -

After working for Target for a YEAR - my ETL tells me “oh, I never knew the labels had dates on them.”

OMG - I have taught that to every new tm within their first HOUR.

Sigh. i want an ETL that knows MORE than me, that can support me, that can help ME.

Not my etl.
Here is a pic label with dpci & price on it. No zebra is needed to find it.
I use that SAME pic to train new tm’s !
But I am talking about the printed SHELF label that has the DATE it was printed on the label - I was quite thrown that after an entire year she never noticed the DATE ! What kind of work/training has she been doing for a year if she doesn’t know the parts of a SHELF label ?!

I use that SAME pic to train new tm’s !
But I am talking about the printed SHELF label that has the DATE it was printed on the label - I was quite thrown that after an entire year she never noticed the DATE ! What kind of work/training has she been doing for a year if she doesn’t know the parts of a SHELF label ?!
Shelf labels test is given by me on new hires without a zebra.

Fairly new ETL. There was a TM sick call on the line. She asked, "What am I supposed to say?" I told her to say, "You don't sound sick to me.". Alas, she didn't say it.
We had a TL fired for saying that very statement to call-out tm’s - before COVID.

Yeah, I hope that was a joke, because it's not a cool thing to say. Really, all they should say is "OK I'll make a note. Feel better soon!" and that's it. The fact that an ETL, even a knew one, hadn't been told or couldn't figure that out is...worrying, given how often ETLs take call-ins.

Like this and want to contribute, but the problem is how easy it would be to identify yourself to your ETL with specific examples, if they happen to lurk. Mine has some temporally-impossible demands about things like managing breaks without overlap and communicating too many things to the whole team. Still a very smart ETL who learned everything shockingly quickly.

Here is the complete quote on pic label by member retailworld.
On the pick label, there can be a few "indicators" that dictate what to do with the product. On the label, it will be near the "Ad 08/21" in the example. If there is a "P", it means it needs to be pushed out. If there is an "S", it means stage. "B" means it's backstock...and part of the backrooms metrics is making sure that all product that has a "B" indicator gets backstocked. Otherwise your team is being inefficient and taking stuff out to the floor when they don't have to. If your store is a "Push All" store, this is how you tell the difference between what you need to take to the floor and what stays in the back without scanning everything on the line.

With the change to myPerformance though, it could be that this isn't a key metric anymore. I haven't dived into the backroom metrics with myPerformance.

Typically your NOP product will have some kind of info on the pick label that will give you a bit of insight on what's going on with it. If it's on AD, it could be there will be staged off area on the floor...or it could be that the planogram isn't in the system yet, so there will be a T indicator(Transition) with the date letting you know when it will be set. But if it's NOP or D-Code at this point, been in your store for awhile, and it looks like there will be no space or planogram for it in the foreseeable future...mySupport it, and request a CLR markdown on it.

318718_orig.png

Not my etl.
Here is a pic label with dpci & price on it. No zebra is needed to find it.
Ah- true. But in our store you do need a device because we are told to scan everything. Not only to check for dual locations but because you should be correcting data as you push. Cause A+B=C is the big thing for us right now

I’ll start by saying I have worked with some great ETL’s - probably why I know so much and have stayed so long And I appreciate the good ones from my past more with each passing day.
I will also say that the pool of applicants MUST be DRY because I don’t see any value in so many of the new hires.

‘This thread might get long because I am pretty certain there is no end to the question:

I’ll go first -

After working for Target for a YEAR - my ETL tells me “oh, I never knew the labels had dates on them.”

Sigh. i want an ETL that knows MORE than me, that can support me, that can help ME.
So I'm not sticking up for your ETL but idk if that's stupid just maybe ignorance on their part...

Stupid would be saying you can throw chemicals into the compactor...

Not gonna say if this did or didn't happen

So I'm not sticking up for your ETL but idk if that's stupid just maybe ignorance on their part...

Stupid would be saying you can throw chemicals into the compactor...

Not gonna say if this did or didn't happen
Yeah I agree, not realizing there's a date on a shelf label is no biggie.

I've never really had an ETL say anything stupid, just annoying.

Yeah I agree, not realizing there's a date on a shelf label is no biggie.

I've never really had an ETL say anything stupid, just annoying.
I know it’s not a BIG deal but I just felt it showed how little knowledge/training this person has about how things are run and what is involved with how the jobs get done. I have been quite thrown multiple times with this new one. In the past ETL’s seemed to know the basics and more - i was motivated to ‘get there’ , to that point of knowledge. I just see more ivory tower management lately more than ever before. I’m not saying it was stupid TO say - just stupid that it WAS said. How can these people get to this level without knowing the basics?
Managers in my past KNEW stuff and could share that knowledge - guide, mold, assist, better the team, we felt like we could learn from them.
Lately we are teaching our own bosses and it’s frustrating and demoralizing.
there should be more to exec than schedule making and making people work faster.

I know it’s not a BIG deal but I just felt it showed how little knowledge/training this person has about how things are run and what is involved with how the jobs get done. I have been quite thrown multiple times with this new one. In the past ETL’s seemed to know the basics and more - i was motivated to ‘get there’ , to that point of knowledge. I just see more ivory tower management lately more than ever before. I’m not saying it was stupid TO say - just stupid that it WAS said. How can these people get to this level without knowing the basics?
Managers in my past KNEW stuff and could share that knowledge - guide, mold, assist, better the team, we felt like we could learn from them.
there should be more to exec than schedule making and making people work faster.
A brand new leader is definitely not going to know as much as a TM who has been there for years. I imagine their "training" is about as thorough as a new TM'S, which is basically none. In my past job, whenever I was promoted to a new position or department, it was a knowledgeable person from that area who helped train me way more than any leaders in the building.

^This 100%. Our ETL had been with Spot since the dawn of time and couldn’t even make a schedule…🙄

I’ll go first -

Too much to count, And some other ETL’s from other departments at my location has said dumb shit too.

Is that unreasonable to ask?
Sort of but then again your availability is what ever you want it to be whether is be a second job, child care, etc.

In the past when Target used to tell me the more open your availability the more hours which ended up being BS.

People are quitting retail in droves because they can find a less stressful job with more flexibility.

In my mystore some are quitting because Target is denying their vacation because they have no one to take their hours.

Last edited:
Back