Archived Terminations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
we had a tl termed a while back and the stl had called another etl as a witness but he was delayed by a guest and the stl did it on her own,it was the first time I had heard of that happening.

There definitely needs to be if it there is something that can come back and bite you in the ass (like firing somebody with faulty reasoning). It needs to be handled with care and having a neutral third party is very useful as a witness. If it is not done that way then the company just opens itself up to any kind of fraud/abuse. The employee could claim they were told they were fired for being too old and there would be nobody back them up on it.

No you weren't.

As a matter of fact, yes I was. My mother tried to use my discount to buy stuff for thanksgiving dinner and she called my dad who raged at me so I sent a text to someone I know who works at the same store I did. She talked to my ETL and then texted back saying I was fired.

As a matter of fact, yes I was. My mother tried to use my discount to buy stuff for thanksgiving dinner and she called my dad who raged at me so I sent a text to someone I know who works at the same store I did. She talked to my ETL and then texted back saying I was fired.

So some TM told you that you were going to be fired, the ETL didn't text you? (FYI, it'd be illegal to fire you off the clock)

Also, you were allowing non-authorized users to use your discount, you knew the rules, you broke them... you should have been fired. This isn't to say I agree with the rules, but they are what they are and you knowingly violated them.

So some TM told you that you were going to be fired, the ETL didn't text you? (FYI, it'd be illegal to fire you off the clock)

Also, you were allowing non-authorized users to use your discount, you knew the rules, you broke them... you should have been fired. This isn't to say I agree with the rules, but they are what they are and you knowingly violated them.

How did I violate the rules? Pretty sure if you LIVE with the people using your discount it's perfectly fine.

How did I violate the rules? Pretty sure if you LIVE with the people using your discount it's perfectly fine.

The discount is actually supposed to be used only by you and your spouse and the dependents you claim on your tax return. So unless you claim your parents or your roommate or a significant other who is not your spouse, they're not supposed to use your discount.
I got around this by having my parents pass me the cash before I went through the line, but ultimately, I was the one who paid the cashier.

it's not worth losing your job for a 10% discount. Only those who you claim on your taxes get to use your card.

I've been told by ETL-HR in the past that is also allowed for parents that claim you as dependent, no idea if she knew what she was talking about though.

I was told that after discussing it with her after denying a parent for trying to use a discount for "her son that works at another Target" and she wanted me to key in the number, of course I said I can't give discount without a physical card.

Last edited:
When my mom tried using my brothers discount, the cashier caught on, hr came to the registers and said (my brother) people usually get fired for this, but we don't think you guys meant any harm, so we're just warning you not to do it anymore.

When I was fired they had the AP present....
Been there, fired people with AP present (aka, done that).

AP had definitive evidence of an employee breaking rules (they were pocketing unused gift cards and using them for merchandise and at food avenue). AP can't fire people though. They had the case written up and presented me the evidence. With AP present, we called the employee into the office, AP presented the case, then I concurred with their recommendation of termination and acutally fired the kid. It was really sad watching him cry and beg that we just allow him to quit after I termed him.

The worse was the 10 minute screaming session on the phone later that night when his mother called pissed off as all get off. Finally I had to just tell her he was wrong, he was stealing, we have proof, he is fired, goodnight and just hung up and refused the rest of her calls that night.

i call complete BS on this, and if by some stupid miracle it did happen, you are stupid. First off a ETL shouldnt discuss any work performance stuff with your "friend" and then daisy chain a text to fire you. I really cant believe, even at target that any ETL would be dumb enough to try and fire someone via text from a "friend"

There are several points to be made on this topic. One, not only is it not necessary for a neutral third party to be present, it's actually forbidden. If the employee were to ask to have a family member, friend, co-worker, or "favorite supervisor/manager", they are not allowed any of these things. Another important comment to make, there is no such a person as a "neutral" third party, all members of target management, whether they be a team leader, etl, stl, dtl, HR, they are all squarely on the side of the corporation and have no interest in the rights or protections of the employee being given the correction action, especially since Corporate America doesn't allow their employees to organize and form Unions, and therefore bring a Union Stewart to such corrective action or termination meetings.
During terminations does there need to be neutral third party present?

During terminations does there need to be neutral third party present?

many moons ago I was asked to sit in on a termination of a female team member. The only ETL's and AP present at the store that day were male, and my responsibility was to ensure she was not alone at any time behind closed doors without me.

...to prevent her from ripping open her bodice & run out screaming "Rape!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back