I'm Lost! Terms

Hi, this is my 3rd day being a trainee and I keep on forgetting the work terms for sales floor. I definitely know how to read the label though and I like zoning. Backroom is very chill too.

What are terms like: go-backs, pushing, pulling, etc? I've asked my trainer plenty of times and I feel like he gets a little frustrated with me. Same with my co-workers.

Last edited:
Hi, this is my 3rd day being a trainee and I keep on forgetting the work terms for sales floor. I definitely know how to read the label though and I like zoning. Backroom is very chill too.

What are terms like: go-backs, pushing, pulling, etc? I've asked my trainer plenty of times and I feel like he gets a little frustrated with me. Same with my co-workers.
Most of those terms are exactly what they sound like.

Go-backs are things to go back from the service desk to their sales floor locations.

Pushing is the task associated with "pushing" product onto it's shelf location. Also referred to working product or stocking.

Pulling is the act of removing an item from it's backroom location in most cases.

Also, they might seem a littler frustrated at times, but ask nonetheless. You'll have answer faster than on here in all likelihood, and I guarantee most of your trainers will still have questions for other TMs at certain points in their shifts

Go-backs (also can be known as re-shop or abandons) are basically items from your department that guests have picked up then set elsewhere: either on shelves, the floor, the registers or returns at the Service Desk. Your job is to put them back where they belong.

Pushing is pushing merchandise that’s been pulled from the backroom or arrived on the truck to its location on the salesfloor.

Pulling is pulling items from their backroom location so you can push them to the salesfloor via the Move app. Or via Take if you are pulling an item for a guest.

A month from now, the OP will be loling at this thread.
cheers2.gif

Welcome! Search is an option too.

Welcome to TBR!

If someone tells you to do something, and you don't understand the terminology they are using, ask them what they mean for clarification. Target training is woefully inadequate. It is as if they think you were born a TM with all the requisite knowledge instilled while you were In Utero. Asking will probably annoy them, but better to annoy them by having them answer a question then annoying them by doing the task wrong. Good luck.

Welcome! Search is an option too.
I've already looked at that thread before posting and there weren't any of the "work" terms I asked for. Thanks for answering though!

When a new TM asks me a question, even a really basic one, I'm happy to answer because I'd far rather they do something right than fiddle around and create problems. If your TL seems to be frustrated with you - might really be or it might be more your perception - maybe ask another TM who's been there a while. They might answer your question slightly differently and in a way that makes more sense to you.
But yes, I agree with your comment about overthinking. While training is usually inadequate, some of this stuff really isn't that mysterious. :)

When a new TM asks me a question, even a really basic one, I'm happy to answer because I'd far rather they do something right than fiddle around and create problems. If your TL seems to be frustrated with you - might really be or it might be more your perception - maybe ask another TM who's been there a while. They might answer your question slightly differently and in a way that makes more sense to you.
But yes, I agree with your comment about overthinking. While training is usually inadequate, some of this stuff really isn't that mysterious. :)
Even as someone with retail experience, I was confused when I was first hired. It didn't help that the Softlines team had been floundering for a while, mainly due to inadequate-to-nonexistent leadership. I asked a lot of questions.

@xubz

3 days, and they are upset that you don't know all the terms yet? That might indicate a greater problem with how leadership treats TMs. Keep your options open for other jobs.

Back