Thanksgiving 2020 and our "heroes"

During the height of the pandemic, those of us working during the crisis were called "heroes". Retail companies ran ads on television, the Internet and billboards applauding front-line retail workers as "heroes" for running the risk of catching COVID-19 from the public.

So let's talk turkey here. Thanksgiving. Will the stores - not just Target - who praised America's frontline retail "heroes" return to the pre-2012 practice of closing their stores on Thanksgiving? Or was all that "heroes" talk just a bunch of recycled dog chow?

Just like Target announced it would observe "Juneteenth" as a store holiday, does senior leadership have the courage to say "NO" to being open on Thanksgiving, and perhaps challenge other retailers to follow suit? After all, up until 2010 Thanksgiving was known as a peaceful time when nearly all businesses were closed, in order for families and friends to spend the day together and dine on dinner (as well as watch football).

Last edited:
Target didn't anticipate people using their stimulus check or unemployment to buy random shit. You know they are going to bank on that for sales. So unless they get cut off of the unemployment expect it to be extremely busy.

IMO, Target being open Thanksgiving Day night this year is going to depend on if we are in a second Covid-19 wave at the time and how bad that wave is hitting.
This pretty much, it'd be bad PR for them to be open and cramming stores with as much people as humanly possible if/when a second wave of Covid hits. Just like how it'd be bad PR to not say something about being open and praising their workers for working through the crisis. They don't care about you, they care about how they look. How it reflects on the company. Thanksgiving 2021 if everything is clear of the virus, you betcha they'll be open 6pm Thanksgiving again or maybe earlier like at 3pm. Never forget they're just another corp that values maximizing their money while crapping on the everyday people who got them there. You're just numbers and data for why stores are either getting things done or aren't to them.

This pretty much, it'd be bad PR for them to be open and cramming stores with as much people as humanly possible if/when a second wave of Covid hits. Just like how it'd be bad PR to not say something about being open and praising their workers for working through the crisis. They don't care about you, they care about how they look. How it reflects on the company. Thanksgiving 2021 if everything is clear of the virus, you betcha they'll be open 6pm Thanksgiving again or maybe earlier like at 3pm. Never forget they're just another corp that values maximizing their money while crapping on the everyday people who got them there. You're just numbers and data for why stores are either getting things done or aren't to them.

Yeah but then you could argue that being open more hours equals a less packed store.

Even if they aren't open, fulfillment will still be expected to work picking air fryers and playstation bundles for Karen.

The last couple years hasn't been bad, show up at 5am work 8hrs or more then leave. Never see anyone but my co-workers most of whom I like and have my music in my ear all day. Win/Win.. Also that lets hubby who loves to cook have the kitchen all day to go nuts.

The last couple years hasn't been bad, show up at 5am work 8hrs or more then leave. Never see anyone but my co-workers most of whom I like and have my music in my ear all day. Win/Win.. Also that lets hubby who loves to cook have the kitchen all day to go nuts.

Yeah, not saying it's bad. Just that we'll be there either way. The time and a half plus the 8 hours additional for the holiday makes for a nice check.

I'd love it if it works out like what @IWishIKnew said. Can't imagine being closed entirely with no TMs scheduled, but we did a huge number of SFS and OPU orders there for a while (fewer now but still quite a lot) and I can see it going off the charts for the holidays. Considering how hard my state was hit earlier and how long it took to get things under control, it'd be foolish to not expect a second wave to roll through and try to be prepared for it.
But I wonder about those states that are experiencing huge numbers now, with no seasonal flu going around also. If that pattern continues, who's going to want to shop when so many are sick? Some of those states' leaders appear to have no interest in getting a grip on it, maybe figuring it'll burn itself out.

I think the bigger question is, will stores even have the big ticket items available for thanksgiving?

My store can’t keep even the crappy TVs in stock. Much less any game console. And I doubt these companies are stockpiling things that are flying off the shelves for a holiday sale.

I think the bigger question is, will stores even have the big ticket items available for thanksgiving?

My store can’t keep even the crappy TVs in stock. Much less any game console. And I doubt these companies are stockpiling things that are flying off the shelves for a holiday sale.
It could be China holding back on tv's, due to US trade wars.

This just in:
"We know this has been a trying year, and our associates have stepped up. We hope they will enjoy a special Thanksgiving Day at home with their loved ones," John Furner, president and CEO of Walmart US, said in a statement. "We are certainly thankful to our people for all of their efforts."

Walmart will close stores on Thanksgiving, ending a Black Friday tradition that drew huge crowds - https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-will-close-stores-on-thanksgiving-ending-black-friday-tradition-2020-7

So in regards to Thanksgiving Target will either follow suit and close because of the optics OR they will open anyway and get the sales that Walmart is forgoing.

If you were a betting person, what do you think will happen?

So in regards to Thanksgiving Target will either follow suit and close because of the optics OR they will open anyway and get the sales that Walmart is forgoing. If you were a betting person, what do you think will happen?
I'm betting that Target will follow suit. I would also bet that the vast majority of other stores will follow Walmart's lead as well.

Stores across America were closed on Thanksgiving Day for decades. K-Mart and Sears (which now are bankrupt and almost extinct as retailers) introduced Thanksgiving Day shopping hours in 2009 during the Great Recession. Thanksgiving Day shopping was supposed to give K-Mart and Sears a big sales and profits boost over competitors. Starting in 2012, other stores including Walmart and Target joined the Thanksgiving shopping phenomenon.

Since the innovator of Thanksgiving shopping, Sears Holdings (owner of K-Mart and Sears stores), is bankrupt and on life support, maybe it's the old adage about "karma is a rich".

Walmart will be closed! So there is hope!
Please Tarshit be closed. I would actually like to not rush through dinner and take a nap after cooking the Thanksgiving meal at my house. Not immediately having to go from cooking one meal to go cook another for bunch of people who should be at home spending time with family and eating a home cooked meal.

Last edited:
Back