Archived The best shoes for working retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear worx red wing boots with steel toe caps. I've dropped enough on my feet to make them well worth it. I've tried wearing chuck taylors when working salesfloor/electronics, but there just isn't enough support there for my feet.

I've worn new balance for years. Last pair was kind of crap quality, but still very comfortable (I mean they didn't last as long as usual, not that they were uncomfortable by crap quality).

I have very narrow feet though, which I think new balance caters to for the most part. Most nikes I've ever tried on for example felt like boats, they were way too wide for my feet. Used to wear adidas as they were similarly more narrow in my experience, but last 5-6 pairs have all been new balance, have tried other brands every time, but the new balance seem to fit my foot shape better.

If your footgear doesn't make you bounce with every step, you're wearing the wrong shit.

Saucony Jazz Low Pro and/or Bullet; some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, period.

Also the LXVI series from Vans are very, very comfortable.

Here's a picture of my favorite work shoes. They are Skecher's shape ups and they are VERY hard to find, but well worth it. Skechers Shape Ups Stability Womens  Black Sliver Grey-2_LRG.jpg

I started wearing Reebok crossfit last year and love them. First couple days my foot had to adjust/break in the shoe but I can go a whole workday (8 hour plus the mile walk to and from bus) with no pain, now. The crossfit sprint something is my most recent pair. I think the nanos were more comfortable but they cost more. I got a lot of wear out of them before I felt like they were done so price is probably worth it.

Only downside is they're not easy to clean, and crossfit people recognize them lol. It doesn't happen a lot or anything but the "oh no I don't do cross fit, I just like the sneakers" conversation is funny.

Jordans used to get me through the day but I quit them and Nike because lately they never make the shoe I want in my size.

They look like you'll teeter back and forth if you're just standing there

I haven't heard about Sketchers Shape-up's in years. I remember there was a huge class action involved, because the marketing claims we're highly inflated. Wondered what happened to them.

In my case, I've noticed memory foam insoles and that fancy stuff doesn't help me, a good pair of basic vans with a thick bottom always does the trick for me.

bumpin this up to ask a question

Anyone ever tried Kuru shoes? My mom's been on my case about buying new working shoes, and well she's probably right. My current shoes (some C9s I bought on clearance over a year ago) are basically falling apart and I'm that person who hates spending on shoes. But my fooT pain is literally unbearable. I limp when I walk, if I sit for my break and try to get up, I stumble because the pain from putting my food down is that intense. I'm pretty sure my Achilles tendon has been inflamed or ruptured for a while too because of how that much hurts. So basically my feet are an absolute wreck and before I shove even more money than I'd pay for shoes for a doctor's visit, I may as well pony up.

Quantum - Women's Performance Fitness Walking Trainer (Great for Heel Pain)

These are the shoes I'm looking at rn, and the reviews are pretty damn good, but I always like actually seeing if anyone I can talk to has used them (or any other shoes from this brand). 120 is a fuck ton for me to blow on shoes, but if it'll stop my agony sure why not

bumpin this up to ask a question

Anyone ever tried Kuru shoes? My mom's been on my case about buying new working shoes, and well she's probably right. My current shoes (some C9s I bought on clearance over a year ago) are basically falling apart and I'm that person who hates spending on shoes. But my fooT pain is literally unbearable. I limp when I walk, if I sit for my break and try to get up, I stumble because the pain from putting my food down is that intense. I'm pretty sure my Achilles tendon has been inflamed or ruptured for a while too because of how that much hurts. So basically my feet are an absolute wreck and before I shove even more money than I'd pay for shoes for a doctor's visit, I may as well pony up.

Quantum - Women's Performance Fitness Walking Trainer (Great for Heel Pain)

These are the shoes I'm looking at rn, and the reviews are pretty damn good, but I always like actually seeing if anyone I can talk to has used them (or any other shoes from this brand). 120 is a fuck ton for me to blow on shoes, but if it'll stop my agony sure why not

I have never heard of them. What made you interested in this brand to begin with over any other brand?

Have you just tried browsing Zappos? That's a good way to let you browse a wide variety of shoes and introduce you to some new brands. It's also good to know what exactly your foot size is. Most high end shoe stores should be able to measure your feet. Sizing up or down to compensate for wide or narrow feet for example can contribute to foot pain.

If you have heel pain, you want something that has a slope, (called a 90 degree heel) rather than something completely flat. A slope will relive some of the tension at the heel and back of your leg. You also want something lightweight. I bought some Wolverine brand tennis-shoes a while back. I typically LOVE their shoes, but because the shoes had a steel toe, the weight was imbalanced and it totally fucked up my calves and heels too. Kind of annoying because they were about $60 I think, but I wore them for so long I didn't want to return them. Oh well.

Now I'm wearing boots to work that I got on Zappos. I like high top boots because I feel like they give some support to the ankle. I feel like I roll my ankles a lot for someone whom doesn't do much...so I dunno, I just like the support. I know nothing about the brand, but they had the features I wanted and Zappos has a good return policy, so I went for it. They're kinda cute too. So far they've been great, and they feel pretty sturdy. I don't like shoes that I don't feel will last me a few years. Ariat Casual Work Mid Lace SD CT

You don't have to spend $100 or more for good shoes. But if you want something that will last, of course be prepared to spend some money. Just know what you're looking for, and don't go for gimmicks like gel cushioning, or shape ups, ect, and be mindful of how sturdy the shoe is. The more fashionable it is, the less sturdy it is. Lol, well, seems that way at least. I'd start from the bottom of your budget, looking within the parameters of what you need out of a shoe. You probably don't HAVE to spend $120. Of course, if you can afford it, then spend away! It's pretty easy to justify splurging on shoes. :D (I like buying shoes)

The shoes you linked to would probably be fine. I'm just curious what made you choose them because if you're not picky and just need something to relieve heel pain, I feel like you can find something cheaper.

Kaitii - I've never heard of Kuru, but I do know that Vionic shoes are amazing. Try to find a pair on sale; zappos and nordstrom sell them. They are having a flash sale on shoes.com website right now.
Elevation, lots of water and ibuprofen help me. I paid $65 for the flip flops and they are amazing. (I don't wear them to work obviously.)

Rockport walking shoes are my choice, although I see too many females wearing ballet flats.

Don't sleep on trying inserts too. I picked up a set of those Dr. Scholl's gel inserts for my worn out Sketchers Memory Foam shoes and they were like new soles. Helps the shoes last longer (the soles anyway).

i use two different shoes depending on how much my feet hurt from the day before. i use converse and some running nike shoes. they have a thicker sole and are more comfortable as they are obviously made for running. the converse are also mostly for a nicer look.

I've got Sketchers work relaxed fit. I almost didn't get them but I needed black shoes that day. They are the only non wide width shoe that has ever fit, and I got them because when I compared them to wide width athletic shoes, sole to sole, the size was equal. I just finished an 8 hour shift and my feet feel perfectly fine, because of those. They've got memory foam inside and although I can see the arch support when I look in them, they don't dig in and hurt my low arches like other shoes with arch support.

For me the best shoes ever are clarks, but just not any clarks. The loafers with the active air vents are AMAZING. I work 2 jobs and my feet dont feel a thing after working 7 am to 11 pm. The best part I only paid 40 bucks at Burlington a year ago.

I've got Sketchers work relaxed fit. I almost didn't get them but I needed black shoes that day. They are the only non wide width shoe that has ever fit, and I got them because when I compared them to wide width athletic shoes, sole to sole, the size was equal. I just finished an 8 hour shift and my feet feel perfectly fine, because of those. They've got memory foam inside and although I can see the arch support when I look in them, they don't dig in and hurt my low arches like other shoes with arch support.
That's what mine are...relaxed fit. Most shoes aren't wide enough for me, at least ones I can buy where I don't have to search for "wide" ones. My feet hurt every day with the Nike running shoes I used when I first started (blisters all over and general pain). No issues since switching to the Sketchers.

Wow, this is an old thread.

I'm still wearing "minimal" style shoes, currently the Merrell Vapor Glove 2.

I am also trying to go barefoot as much as possible outside of work, both indoors and outdoors, for strengthening, proprioceptive feedback, and "grounding" therapy. This has worked very well for me to maximize comfort and minimize foot pain.

Your mileage may vary.

I've had shoes from SAS for two years now. They're worn down but I still have no foot pain whatsoever. Unfortunately my SAS shoes store shut down :( They're expensive but totally worth it.

My mom ended up getting fed up with me and bought me sketchers. My feet hurt less because the heel part is really squishy and my moms friend used to have the same problem as me and got prescription gels that she gave to me so now my feet are like what the fuck because everything is so squishy and i guess i will find out if this fixes my prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back