Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to walk on the floor to get from backroom to TSC. You are wearing red and khaki (and hopefully a name tag). Guests know you work there and will stop you. They don't realize you are the bike builder and work 4hrs in the backroom and never shop at the store. Or are a cashier and got lost four times trying to find the backroom to take the hanger bin to dump in recycle...

...so yeah, even on flow or backroom or receiving you will have to stop and help guests. Even if its just to walkie a salesfloor TM or direct the guest to pickup a red phone to get help.

We have a hallway that connects TSC to our backroom. :D

But we have no option but to walk on the floor to the other side of the store to get to our Electronics, Infant, and Women's stockrooms.

So.... who else uses their PDA scanner as a flashlight in darker areas? :)

Been having trouble with our motion sensors in a most aisles. Our maintenance guy fixes them fairly quickly, but in the meantime..... heh.

Been having trouble with our motion sensors in a most aisles. Our maintenance guy fixes them fairly quickly, but in the meantime..... heh.

Reminds me of pulling in the toys trailer during the holidays. The trailer was, of course, in the one bay without a working light. I had to borrow a flashlight from one of the spill stations just so I could see in there.

So.... who else uses their PDA scanner as a flashlight in darker areas?
One of the few things I like about the new PDAs. Granted, they scan better than the old model and it's easier to type than it was on LPDAs.

Reminds me of pulling in the toys trailer during the holidays.
How did you have this set up? When we have a spare trailer my store just uses it to dump pallets that are in the way and hide our mess from the DTL.

I've got magnetic led work lights. Bought a big one over the holidays, but just found little ones the other day. $5 per pack at Wal-Mart. I love them. The little ones are smaller than a pack of gum and there are two per pack.

Reminds me of pulling in the toys trailer during the holidays.
How did you have this set up? When we have a spare trailer my store just uses it to dump pallets that are in the way and hide our mess from the DTL.

Outside of the holiday season, we use our empty 3rd bay trailer to store transition pallets and other crap we can't keep outside (the town allows us to keep bales, milk crates, and empty pallets outside, but nothing else). During Q4, all that stuff moves back and forth between the line and the fire aisle(!) because we have nowhere else to put it.

Does using U-pdate in sto create any errors? Sometimes if I'm pulling and the gun wants more than what's there I'll update it to the correct amount first then pull it

In any case I haven't seen a report that links team members to ghosts. Baffles are tracked but I don't think ghosts are.

What about M-Deleted ghosts, though? My understanding is that if you M-Delete a ghost DPCI, you're uncovering an error. And that error is charged to somebody, right?

Or does the error reporting system only care about DPCIs and not eaches?

Does using U-pdate in sto create any errors? Sometimes if I'm pulling and the gun wants more than what's there I'll update it to the correct amount first then pull it

Using U-pdate shouldn't cause errors. You can only use it to change the number of eaches that are in the location. It can't add a new item to a location and it can't remove one. I don't bother fixing the number of eaches in the location in that situation though. Because you are pulling fewer eaches than you're being asked to pull the error will be corrected anyway. I know it makes us look worse having more errors but I'd rather have an accurate count to know just how we're doing.

This is why I won't lift a finger to clean up for visits I know are coming unless directly ordered to by an ETL. There are rare exceptions when someone or some group is coming in to see what an "ideal" store looks like but most of the time it's to see how we're doing. We can't fix systematic problems if we keep sweeping them under the rug and ignoring them.

What about M-Deleted ghosts, though? My understanding is that if you M-Delete a ghost DPCI, you're uncovering an error. And that error is charged to somebody, right?

Or does the error reporting system only care about DPCIs and not eaches?

I don't know whether the system tracks errors just by DPCIs or whether it includes eaches but I'm positive ghosts aren't attributed to anyone. There is a report that tells you the number of errors for a given department which should include the total baffles and ghosts. I hate looking at it, it's a pain to decipher. On the other hand the team member location accuracy report is much easier to read. It tells you the number of batches everyone pulled in the previous week and the number of baffles assigned to them along with the portion of baffles that were because of M-Delete, LOCU, and Y-Usage along with how many baffles were in open stock, upper casepack, lower casepack, or receiving locations.

I'm convinced that not all baffles attributed to me are my fault but in general I think most are.

Are backroom TM's supposed to be certified to ride the wave and other assist vehicles? I have not had training other than riding it around several times but that doesn't amount to anything really. A team member that has been there for a year said it took them months to get the keys to him and to get fully trained on it. Should I ask someone in particular?

Are backroom TM's supposed to be certified to ride the wave and other assist vehicles? I have not had training other than riding it around several times but that doesn't amount to anything really. A team member that has been there for a year said it took them months to get the keys to him and to get fully trained on it. Should I ask someone in particular?

Talk to your team lead about it. Learning how to operate the power equipment was one of the first things I learned during my training.

I don't know what the fuck is going on with our team atm. Our closers are dropping like flies. I was supposed to be opening Flexible Fulfillment today but my TL switched me to a 12-8 Backroom shift since the closer wasn't going to show up. And I was the last one there. So I had about an hour after I finished the 6 o'clocks to set the line, take my 15, and work through whatever backstock I could. That left I'm also our closer on Wednesdays even though I'm only ever scheduled 2-10 that day.

Scheduled until 10pm in the backroom? The fuck? Big ass price change batches?

Our store is open until 12 every day except for sunday, so the closer is usually there until close. After setting the line and pulling the price change batches we stay on top of myFA and do whatever needs to be done, be it backstock or projects or whatever.

BR closers are scheduled TILL STORE CLOSE here. They should be scheduled till SC +15, with the last 15 mins to be DEDICATED to moving all the junk BR insists on piling up in receiving and dragging it out of the way so the truck can be worked. Rather than my team spending 15 mins UNDOING this cluster disaster each day.

Maybe they heard your complaints about always having to stay late? Or if you've been leaving on time, maybe they realized how much shit is getting left untouched?

My store is a turd. Never complained to my TL about being scheduled too late. I always throw the fact that I have stayed up until 1045pm pulling 14 pallets of price change in her face. I have said in the past "I stay super late sometimes pulling price change and no one ever is appreciative of it" and her response has been "it's your job to stay until it's done". Ungrateful cunt. I don't really care anymore about the backroom. The backroom could catch on fire and I wouldn't lift a finger to put the fire out. I would probably go up to food avenue and buy a hot dog AND popcorn and a soda and get a lawn chair and sit down and watch it burn to the ground.

Back to the hours situation, there's no fucking way I could be scheduled till 11pm because
1. My availability is only up to 10pm(fuck Target)
2. Hours are super thin at the turd store. My cunt team lead said there are only like 90 something hours between the 3 people in the backroom day legion. We basically only get 30 hours a week now.
3. The turd store I work at is horrifically managed in every aspect especially payroll and scheduling.

Fuck clearing the line. HAHAHA
Waste of time. The flow minions can do that in the morning. I have to pull 14 pallets of price change and shop for lazy fat ass fucks. No time to do flow team work.

Is anyone else switching from hourly pulls during the day to just two or three? At the end of the month my store is going from pulls every hour between 11 and 6 to pulls only at 1 (mostly consumables) and 3(mostly hardlines) and on weekends a third at 5(consumables again). I think we're going to be given two hours instead of 1 to pull them.

Also, I was pulling the MIRs today and had to round up all the boxed jewelry from Valentines Day. It felt like every other one had "Love" on it and before I knew it I had Captain & Tennille stuck in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back