I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

When you call the operator you'll want to ask for the GSTL if you work at the front end (Starbucks, Food Ave, Cashier, Guest Service, or Carts), or the LOD if you work anywhere else. The gist of it is you want to call out to your direct supervisor, the one that will actually check to see if you're at work and on time. Call as early as you can, if you already know you won't be in then you can call tonight so they have more time to adjust accordingly.

It varies store to store. Some ETL-HRs allow the operator to take note, some require you to speak to the LOD.

Please call and speak to your LOD, ask them to clarify when you call them to say you're sick.

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and found it when trying to find a pdf of the most recent Team Member Handbook. I apologize for the potential wall of text that I'm about to post. Also I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

As a little bit of background, I (very) recently came off of a long leave of absence for educational purposes. I picked up a shift last week but this week was supposed to be my first week back. There's no issue there, I have no problem getting to work or doing the work or, you know, whatever.

The issue here is that I wrote my schedule down wrong, which is entirely my fault and I am completely willing to own up to not writing down the correct information. I wrote down that I was supposed to work today (Wednesday) instead of the correct time, which was yesterday (Tuesday).

I would have been happy to go to work, the only problem is, I didn't know I was supposed to (having written it down incorrectly) and NO ONE called me to ask where I was. I mean, it was simple human error and sometimes Team Members do just decide they aren't going to work that day and just not how up. However, I feel like it's a breach of trust between employee and employer if they don't even make the attempt to call to see what's going on. They certainly don't have any problems calling team members on their days off to see if they can come work a shift.

While it is a no-call, no-show situation, and while I am willing to take responsibility for copying the information down incorrectly, I feel it's unfair of them to mark it that way since they didn't call to confirm that it was, in fact a no-call, no-show. I don't want it going on my record. My question is, are they allowed to just mark it that way without calling the team member to make sure they're okay or to ask why they didn't show up to work? Surely there's something in the handbook about this and there's a way to dispute it.

Any help is appreciated.

Tl;dr: I don't think I deserve to have a NCNS on my record.

The way spot see's it; the schedule is officially posted in advance, and they expect everyone to show up during the shifts on the posted schedule. If the shift isn't ON the schedule hanging in the TMSC, you might have a case, but really all you can do now is take the attendance hit and be a little more careful in the future. They're supposed either to call everybody or nobody during situations like this, but aren't required to do either since the schedule is officially posted for everyone to see in advance.

I would talk to your ETL-HR, or your direct supervisor, or both, and just make a quick but sincere apology, assuring them that it really was a one-time mistake and that you'll be a lot more careful next time. That won't change your attendance record, but it's good politics and will help assure them that you really do care about having a job.

Side note: If your store uses the MyTime scheduling system, you can log onto http://target.com/viewschedule and log in with your eHR information. It will show you your up-to-date schedule for the current week and next week. Helps make it easier to keep track of your schedule :)

My store doesn't call anyone either. I wish they would, sometimes people make an honest mistake like yours. I had to get a ncns removed from my record because I had jury duty. I brought in the form and got my shift covered. The girl covering, forgot she took it. It never ended up getting changed in the system anyway. So when I went to work the next day everyone was asking me what happened and why I didn't show up. Obviously they fixed it but yeah, a simple "Hey this is blah blah blah from Target, you're supposed to be here and blah blah time" Doesn't seem too difficult. As a matter of fact this is the only company I've worked for that doesn't call people that don't show up for a shift.

If we call one person to see if they're coming to work, we have to call everyone that doesn't show up for work. It's out job to make sure we have your schedule written two weeks outs. It's your job to make sure you come to work when you're scheduled. If we called you and you said you were coming in, you'd still go down as being late. Just don't let it happen again. There's really no excuse to not know you were scheduled even if you wrote it down wrong since now you can check your schedule online.

If you can't trust yourself to write it correctly, use your smart phone to take a pic, assuming you have one. If not use the copier in the office . Absolutely profusely apologize to your TL immediately . Hope after this it doesn't happen again.

If we call one person to see if they're coming to work, we have to call everyone that doesn't show up for work. It's out job to make sure we have your schedule written two weeks outs. It's your job to make sure you come to work when you're scheduled. If we called you and you said you were coming in, you'd still go down as being late. Just don't let it happen again. There's really no excuse to not know you were scheduled even if you wrote it down wrong since now you can check your schedule online.

Totally agree. Another issue is... If Target called for all NC/NS situations, then there is no reason for a NC/NS policy, because you wouldn't be able to separate people who simply write their schedule down wrong and people who bother don't show up.

The schedule is on-line. The schedule is posted in the store. You can call to confirm the schedule. You can call/Facebook/Tweet/Myspace/smoke signal another team member and have them check for you. You no excuses really... And trust me, it sucked when I got dinged for a NC/NS, but that's what happens.

Now I will say, if I had a team member who had forgotten to call... I couldn't control if another TM Facebooked or texted them that they were due in to work ;) ;)

Plenty of other companies call. And yes, they call everyone. Also, I don't think all of target's stores are on mytime for the online viewing. Even so, if you don't think you even have work that day, why would you check it? Same with calling the store. No one would call if they presume it a day off. I've seen my TL and her cronies call people in the past, but eh, I'm not mad. If they won't call for this reason, though, I gotta block their number. I hate getting those calls about last minute shifts. I stopped answering when they call.

I ended up here looking to find out what happens after a ncns. I had one recently and today I signed a sheet of paper without reading it and have no clue what it meant (I've been absentminded in general, lately. Idk why. Doesn't matter. Not the point). My TL was saying something as I was signing it and then we had a dispute and I just walked away without ever actually reading the sheet. I'm guessing from one response here that I'm on some sort of 6 month warning, though.

I ended up here looking to find out what happens after a ncns. I had one recently and today I signed a sheet of paper without reading it and have no clue what it meant (I've been absentminded in general, lately. Idk why. Doesn't matter. Not the point). My TL was saying something as I was signing it and then we had a dispute and I just walked away without ever actually reading the sheet. I'm guessing from one response here that I'm on some sort of 6 month warning, though.

Sounds like a corrective action. Just stay out of trouble for the next six months and you should be fine.

Just make sure it doesn't happen again, and it will blow over. I think they used to call, but for some reason, most stores just stopped over the last couple years or so. For that reason, I check and recheck the schedule obsessively.

My store will call "certain" people to see why they haven't showed up. .. it depends on if you are one of their chosen ones. We are all human and all make mistakes so just accept it and own up to it, learn from it and move on. Spot, didn't owe you a phone call, although to be honest...I don't think it hurts to call and check on a tm who hasn't showed up...you never know if something has happened to them.ie an accident etc.

I don't usually sign things without reading. I noticed the hr people at my job likes to make things seem mandatory when they say voluntary right on the sheet, so I don't trust them with stuff like that. First time I didn't read and as soon as I realized, I asked for a copy of it and an hr tm said they "don't do that" which is kinda dumb, but whatever. Gonna ask the ETL hr to see it tomorrow. Never said a phone call was owed, just that other companies do it.

My comment about the phone call being owed was aimed towards the original post. I agree with you that Spot should call( but a team member shouldn't expect it ) to check on a team member ( if its out of character) when they don't show up...too bad they don't see it that way. I once asked for a copy of my review( years and years ago) my then TL acted as if I had asked her to hand me one of her children...she literally ran to the ETL log and said he wants a copy of his review can he do that.

Last edited:
My thought is that if you want people to show up it's worth your while to make a quick phone call.
If you would rather right off the time and make the people who do come in suffer, than by all means don't make the call.
I guess you can see which way this is going.

Spot has changed over the years...years ago they actually seemed to care about the team member, they would call to make sure you were ok. I have had them to call me before when I had overslept. Now, its all about the bottom line . Sad but true

The reason that they don't call is because then it can't be marked down as a NCNS since they talked to you. That what my manager said at another company. Supervisors like me though so they call since I've been there 7 years and know I don't do NCNS and probably just overslept

I always call my team members 30 minutes after schedule. Reason being on flow you always need that extra person there. But then again if I think the person sucks I'll let them ncns because I'd rther use those hours to have someone good stay longer

Had a 10 yr TM written up because he came in late. He'd always had the same schedule except for that day.
He'd have missed his shift altogether if a fellow TM hadn't texted him.
First. Time. Ever.
Poor guy.

Is it sad that I NCNS one day and NO ONE mentioned it to me? 3 days later I realized I missed a shift...

The NCNS policy is firm, but whether it is followed correctly is up to the TL or ETL. You'll know if you got a CA for NCNS because you have to sign it. If you didn't get a CA then you are well liked, lucky, or it got by the TL/ETL. Call outs are handled differently and are not categorized with NCNS. I believe NCNS is conduct while attendance is performance, either way they are not the same.

Back