I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

scenario:
if you got sick and called in for several days, came into work a day, realized you were still sick, called in the next day, but stopped calling in for your next couple of days, would you consider it a ncns? even if everyone knew what happened? would you/your hr make excuses for why they shouldnt be put on corrective action for ncns? if this person was previously counseled for ncns a couple of months ago for the same reason, would you push to have it moved to final warning? what if it was the third or fourth time?

sorry for it being vague. curious why the rules selectively apply. i know there's no hard core attendance policy, but when the hr makes me write up someone for ncns because they overslept and came in 2 hours and 3 min late (4am shift), why would they not push to have someone who doesn't call at all, even if we know they are sick? i'm trying to understand the reasoning behind it. i want it to be fair.

I don't know, maybe they are jealous of the late sleeper, because they suspect they had a night on the town, full of laughs with friends, good times with the opposite gender, and just overall the kind of night that makes you love life. Then they turned around and neglected their target responsibilities and made life harder for everyone scheduled that day, even if accidentally...

At my store its all about who's who. So if you're generally liked by HR/your ETL you generally won't get coached on such things. However if you aren't liked/bad performer then you don't receive as much leniency.

It's an unfortunate truth. Not sure if its the same at your store though.

I recently was run over by a bicyclist. I didn't call because I was waiting in the emergency room with a vast amount of pain.

I think you will be fine as long as you have a genuine excuse and it doesn't happen more than once.

I recently was run over by a bicyclist. I didn't call because I was waiting in the emergency room with a vast amount of pain.

I think you will be fine as long as you have a genuine excuse and it doesn't happen more than once.

Your an unlucky one arent you :\

sometimes I think he's lying in his posts. But then I realize he is actually holding a lot of stuff back. GTC to talan for his discretion!

it is similar at our store,depends on who you are,but generally people get away with a lot of ncns,I think they look on it as one way to save payroll.

it would cost a lot of money for nothing to terminate someone for occasional ncns, only to hire and train another person who will either quit after a few months, or stay on board and contribute some ncns of their own.

Considering I'm HR, I should know how this works. Anyway, for those of you who live in areas where sick time is granted, how does it work? I can only use it for times I call out for illness, right? I understand it cannot be paid out if I quit, so if you don't use it, you lose it, unlike vacation time which is paid out. So...under this premise, and the fact that I almost never call out (like two times in several years)...this is almost giving me incentive to call out in the final days of my time at target or any time before that (I'm not planning on quitting as of now) in order to collect these hours. Either that, or I can use them whenever I want. Which would give me the money I want while also keeping me at work...everyone would win.

Position doesn't matter, it's the people most willing to "sleep with management" are the ones that get that "sick time".

Are you kidding me? I work very hard, don't bad mouth me.

Imerzan,

it depends on what state you live in, only a handful require it...I think it depends on your average hours. If it's below a certain amount, they don't accrue. I work a lot for a TM.

In states that have sick time, I would imagine that every position gets it. I noticed on my paystub that I've accrued a small amount of sick time. TLs, etc. probably accrue it more quickly than, say, a cashier.

In states that have sick time, I would imagine that every position gets it. I noticed on my paystub that I've accrued a small amount of sick time. TLs, etc. probably accrue it more quickly than, say, a cashier.

TLs also get Personal Holiday time, which accrues extremely slowly, even for them. Tough to get many hours from that.

I have sick time listed on my pay stub, but I accrue none :(

I work 35-40 hours a week pretty much always, been with the company over 2 years.

I have sick time listed on my pay stub, but I accrue none :(

I work 35-40 hours a week pretty much always, been with the company over 2 years.

You must not work in a state that has it

Look at the time off request sheet (yes, I know we don't use them anymore for vacation hours, we use EHR) but we still have them because there's no way to use sick time on EHR so we have to use the sheets still...anyway, the time off request sheets list the states where sick time exists.

TLs also get Personal Holiday time, which accrues extremely slowly, even for them. Tough to get many hours from that.

PH is for anyone who averages 32 hours or more, not just TLs. Vacation is for anyone who averages at least 20 hours. I looked it up in that packet they mailed me. It doesn't say anything about sick time though, just vacation and PH.

PH is for anyone who averages 32 hours or more, not just TLs. Vacation is for anyone who averages at least 20 hours. I looked it up in that packet they mailed me. It doesn't say anything about sick time though, just vacation and PH.

Oh right, I must average under 32 then. I meant TLs get it because they obviously would average 32 or more, often TMs don't.

Back