I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

How long does an attendance issue (being late, calling out) etc stay on your record? One year? Forever?
When is just a pdd attendance it will stay for 90 days after the conversation( meaning you can’t call out or be late for the next 90) then it goes away. When it’s CCA is 6 months, if you do it within the 6 months then goes to a year and possible termination.
What if it wasn’t either. Like I was just late one day (20 mins)

A TM doesn’t have to sign a CA , as long as it is delivered, a TM signature is not required for a CA to be enforced.

True but that's only when the TM has been asked to sign and they then refuse. Leaders can't just write up correctives and file it without showing them to the TM in question and giving them the chance to sign. Based on what TTGOz said it sounds like his leader mentioned a corrective but never produced the documentation.

ETLs and TLs have a tendency, even good ones, to say you'll get written up but TMs don't understand the difference between a PDD and a CCA. PDD the manager has a conversation and stresses the impact and says something along the lines of you can be written up, formally written up, if it keeps up you can have coaching and further corrective action up to and including termination. This conversation can be on the floor or in the offices. From a TM perspective they generally know it's a serious conversation if you have it in the office, but that's not required. The manager then writes it up and submits it to HR, the TM never sees this until they have had several PDDs. Multiple PDDs get discussed at the STL/ETL meeting at which point a "warning" CCA can be issued. If multiple PDDs are done on top of an existing CCA a "Final" CCA is issued. If your on a Final CCA and you screw up then you get termed. Theoretically this documentation stays with your file for 2 years from the date it was issued so even if you don't get termed over it if your looking to move up at Spot it's something that they can review as part of the interview process.

If you NCNS three times in a row it's job abandonment, that's the worst case scenario. That also means you just have to be 2 hours late without calling to let people know. I know one ETL that will not let the person clock in to work if they are 2 hours late. Get ahold of the LOD, ETL, or your team lead somehow. Personally I'll let 2+ hour late people that didn't call in to say they were running late clock in just to issue the CCA before they leave. If you NCNS your first time you should be issued a "warning" CCA within about a week. Not everyone is timely on their paperwork. This is a written document you're asked to sign. The next time it's a "Final" CCA the third time it's term. Each CCA you're issued the time you're under probation extends.

Part of the reason most stores don't like people to cut OT by coming in late is unless it's fixed in MyTime people may appear cryonically late instead of trying to cut from their OT as it shows on the same report that callouts do.

This process of documenting is the same for callouts as it is for performance, however you can be under a CCA for attendance, a CCA for NCNS, and a CCA for performance all at the same time, as they are different buckets. However if this happens is start looking for another job. If you call out or are consistently late then yes it's an issue. You may feel like it's not being documented but if you're issued a CCA it has been documented numerous times. I've used the phase if this action keeps up you won't have a job and the person didn't think it was a PDD discussion so some TMs are oblivious until the CCA is issued.

Attendance is one of the easiest ways to performance out a TM as it's the easiest to document and poor performers and poor attendance can often go hand in hand. You're more likely to find a ETL document every late or callout for a poor performer rather than document the poor performance itself.

Last edited:
all absences, including with dr notes, count against you unless you are on a leave (fmla, education, personal). no exceptions.
the only rules about enforcing attendance (via workbench) are that there are no rules, its up to the individual store.

don't call out. find someone to take your shift.

Not correct . If a team member calls in sick but he is using the sick hours ,it won’t go against his attendance.

all absences, including with dr notes, count against you unless you are on a leave (fmla, education, personal). no exceptions.
the only rules about enforcing attendance (via workbench) are that there are no rules, its up to the individual store.

don't call out. find someone to take your shift.

Not correct . If a team member calls in sick but he is using the sick hours ,it won’t go against his attendance.

Attachments

• Cannot Be Coached.PNG
    Cannot Be Coached.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 76
Help! I have my interview this Thursday and I know that they will schedule me for orientation within the week after that but I already had a vacation scheduled two weekends from now (July 14, 15). When should I let them know that I can't be scheduled those two days? Right after I get hired, during orientation, or when? How should I phrase that it will be my only call out and I'm really sorry for calling out so soon after hire? Please help!!!

Help! I have my interview this Thursday and I know that they will schedule me for orientation within the week after that but I already had a vacation scheduled two weekends from now (July 14, 15). When should I let them know that I can't be scheduled those two days? Right after I get hired, during orientation, or when? How should I phrase that it will be my only call out and I'm really sorry for calling out so soon after hire? Please help!!!
You should let them know during the interview. Availability should be discussed, that's the ideal time to talk about pre-existing plans, but if you want it off, you MUST discuss it during the interview.

Here's one. I average about 38 hours a week over 7 weeks, and I called out for the first time Friday. I've been at this store 2 months, but I was a rehire from another Target. I have 16 hours sick pay and want to use some to get paid for Friday, rules say you have to be over 90 days to use it. I live im CA. Can I use it?

Last edited:
Rehire, or transfer? I think if you were rehired within 90 days you would be fine.

I was rehire. Complicating matters, I live in California, which has a mandatory sick pay law. This might overrule Target's rule on the matter, but I don't know. I'm also not clear if I'm even probationary or not. I've been with Target a total of 5 months, but there's a gap in there.

I was rehire. Complicating matters, I live in California, which has a mandatory sick pay law. This might overrule Target's rule on the matter, but I don't know. I'm also not clear if I'm even probationary or not. I've been with Target a total of 5 months, but there's a gap in there.

You can still use them. Doesn’t matter if you are or aren’t on probabtion.

If I show up to work but leave after like 30 minutes due to throwing up can I use my sick hours to get paid for the entirety of my shift? Or was I better off just calling out? I went because I wasn’t sure if they’d believe that I was sick so I wanted them to send me home for themselves.

If I show up to work but leave after like 30 minutes due to throwing up can I use my sick hours to get paid for the entirety of my shift? Or was I better off just calling out? I went because I wasn’t sure if they’d believe that I was sick so I wanted them to send me home for themselves.
You should be able to use your sick hours, because if you go home after half an hour it will count as a call-out.

I've been trying desperately to call in, but nobody's answering the phone. Am I calling the wrong number? I thought I had to call the regular store phone, then press 0, but when I do that it just rings and rings endlessly.

I mean, I would assume so. I'm supposed to be there, so I would assume there's supposed to be someone there to tell me what to do, a team lead or the LOD or someone.

Hey all. I was recently hired seasonally for electronics. I have a few questions that requires some lead up.

When interviewed I mentioned that I didn't want to work more than 25 hours (because I have bad knees and other body problems that I'm going to the doctors for). (Yes I know it's the holidays and that's not a promise I won't be given more hours.)

My start was ROCKY.

Right after my three "training shifts", I was forced to close by myself with no warning and no real training. I was upset about this because I had worked the sum total of 2 8 hour shifts. (I ended up having to stay about 45 mins reach night extra because of it)

I talked to HR because I saw that I had 3 opening shifts the next week (which I hadn't been trained for) and wanted to be sure that I wasn't scheduled to open or close by myself because I didn't feel comfortable yet (but I made sure to ask more than a week in advance so they could try to call someone in if need be because I couldn't tell them prior to the schedule being made) HR checked and told me no, you're fine.

I managed to shake down my TL and then tell him that 1. Wtf dude I've worked less than a week and I've had to close by myself twice?? (Apparently once you've had your training shifts you are supposed to be able to do anything!) And 2. To tell him that I wasn't going to be able to do the opening shifts next week. (Again a week in advance.) He said he would see what he could do. And 3. to talk about my schedule because this is already fucking up my attendance and I physically can not work the 30 hours they wanted me to work.

I didn't hear anything back.

Those opening shifts roll around and I wake up throwing up (hooray food poisoning). I try to call the store but it's closed cause it's like 530 am and NO ONE told me that I needed to press 0 to talk to people at the store. So I go over, almost throw up on the gstl and say I'm not coming in.

Which I have found out is basically grounds for termination if you're within 90 days. Cool.

The next day I'm still feeling awful but some work is better than none right?

Turns out that I'm the only one opening...... despite me asking prior and telling people I can't work it.

So at this point, I'm sick, I'm frustrated, with so much extra to do because it didn't get done the day before, etc.

I go looking for HR (This is a Friday btw) because they lied to my face and if I don't go home I'm going to puke on guests.

No one knows where they are or when they'll be in (i found out later they had a random 3 day weekend). So I go looking for My TL. He's called off sick.

Okay so I go back to work. I stuck it out until my lunch and then literally cried on one of the gstls because of this mess and went home after getting my schedule changed for the next day.

It's not until after thanksgiving do I get to talk to my TL.

I finally get to talk to him for like 10 mins (I had to come in on a day off to even get the chance to talk to him), but we settled on a schedule that works great for me, but couldn't be put into effect right away.

Last week, I ended up being half an hour late because I had a bad panic attack before work (and I have doctors documentation and I'm pretty sure that when I applied I said I had a disability (being major depression and anxiety)).

Found my TL as I was walking in late and asked what I should do and how to report it. He told me to just clock in and hasn't said anything about it. However If I hadn't been late, I would have been out of meal compliance because they couldn't find someone to cover my lunch.

Earlier this week I had to go home early. The LOD I talked to asked me to see how I felt after lunch cause it was so busy. I said okay, went home, and was worse when I got back to work. Went back home.

Also I've temporarily lost keys like 3 different times (yesterday real bad when I lost the tech leads keys. They were found but I'm a dingus for leaving them behind. We were swamped but that's not really an excuse). I forgot to bag an item for a guest and they left without it last week. Also guest got mad that I pointed directly at where the object they were looking for was but since I'm dyslexic I said the wrong isle number and they told my sup.

This all sounds so bad. To redeem myself; when my mother was in her bad accident right after I started, I stayed for my whole shift. I've stayed late, every time I was asked, and I'm real good with guests. I know a lot about electronics and I'm great at suggesting games and stuff to parents. My tms seem to like me and when I'm working it's usually just me despite how busy we are for the holidays.

I know it's probably not great, but what's the likelihood of me staying past seasonal?

Sorry for the wall of text and if I need to edit anything choir anonymity let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
All this back and forth between TL and HR, I don't get it. You likely have to go up the chain because you said at the interview you need ADA accommodations and your ADA accommodations are being ignored. You likely will need paperwork from your doctor to support your accommodations, but by law you don't even have to be receiving treatment to be covered by the ADA. If they do let you go, they will have to be damned careful in how they word it because any whiff that it was due to ignored accommodations (like schedule limitation) and you could have the EEOC crawling up their backside. There were actually a few cases about attendance issues caused by mental illness and the courts supported the employee.

I personally would try going to the ETL that's over the TL and say that you need assistance talking to TL and HR about the ADA accommodations you requested and were agreed to during the interview as well as reiterated during your time there. After that....folks, would ignoring ADA accommodations be a hot line issue? I would think so but I've never had to go that far.

Back