I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Going with an injury isn't necessarily a bad idea, if it's something obvious like a sling or a large number of stitches.

Question:
If I use sick time for my shift on Saturday, will that pay still count for this week’s check, or will it roll over to next week’s pay period?(payday is next Friday)

Question:
If I use sick time for my shift on Saturday, will that pay still count for this week’s check, or will it roll over to next week’s pay period?(payday is next Friday)
Are you already planning on being sick on Saturday??
As long as it’s processed by noon Central time on Monday it will appear on your next paycheck.

Are you already planning on being sick on Saturday??
As long as it’s processed by noon Central time on Monday it will appear on your next paycheck.

I have a scheduled surgical appointment at the ER for that day, but I cannot use vacation time being that I’m over my average hours.

Target doesn’t officially accept doctor’s notes. However, my store does and it make the attendance trend a little less harsh. I maintain an attendance report that I send to the Leaders weekly and I’ll make notes if there are circumstances like bereavement, jury duty, or hospitalization. Two of Target’s favorite words are fair and consistent.

But to answer your specific question - a one time illness isn’t indicative of an attendance trend, it’s just sucky timing being within your 90. So stay healthy and prove that your reliable and they can count on you going forward 😊

***Side note. CVS should have the flu shot in and as a Target TM you qualify for a free flu shot. Plus you’ll receive a coupon for $5 off a $5 minimum purchase 😁

So I’ve worked at target for about a year and a half and have never called out and I’m not planning to, but I have a question about it. If I’m scheduled at 6 am and wake up at 5 sick, I obviously can’t call in 2 hours before my shift. Plus, nobody is at my store til 5:30. What happens in that case?

I obviously can’t call in 2 hours before my shift. Plus, nobody is at my store til 5:30. What happens in that case?

It happens all the time. People call out 15 minutes before their shift starts for say, car trouble very very often. You don't find out your car isn't starting until you try to leave and hear croaking jalopy noises. Some people oversleep a full hour and wake up with a raging fever. Just one of those thangs, mang

Punctual and Reliable Captain here, called out sick twice in 8 years. 1st time, in the 7th yr the giggly little HR ETL said to crusty, experienced, and marginally sarcastic ME: "well, I guess it's ok, you don't do it often." The Captain: "Look, sugar, I NEVER call out sick, got it?". I kinda liked her in a goofy fatherly way. She smiled a lot, took care of her teeth. She moved on to much greener pastures. After she found that pasture we got a cow for HR.

Our family Christmas got moved up to Decenber 7, Saturday, just yesterday. I put the shift on the swap board. Do I tell my tl I'm not going to be at work regardless if anyone takes the shift or not, or, just keep my mouth shut and call off if no one takes it?

Be responsible and try to swap your shift or adjust around your Xmas celebration. Calling out due to lack of planning /change of plans is not Spots fault and puts more stress on your fellow TM's. Suck it up and go to work if you can't swap or adjust.

Be responsible and try to swap your shift or adjust around your Xmas celebration. Calling out due to lack of planning /change of plans is not Spots fault and puts more stress on your fellow TM's. Suck it up and go to work if you can't swap or adjust.
So sacrifice family at that altar of work? 5 years' time, do you really think people will be saying "I'm glad I spent Uncle George's last Christmas working at Target instead of being with my family"?

TL on down, workers are interchangeable, and one person missing doesn't change how the Target machine clunks along. The OP made arrangements correctly before family changed things, so it's not like the OP always had the intent to blow off work.

Last year, I was too far away to see family. My mom was in the hospital for a serious but not fatal condition mid-December; she was hospitalized because she wasn't keeping anything down. (Edit: Nearly everyone isn't hospitalized, super rare, but you gotta eat right to get better, so she needed nutrition assistance through a feeding tube.) She texted me that as soon as she got out of the hospital she would track down where my daughter's Christmas present went to.

She died very unexpectedly on December 26th. Ho, ho, fucking ho, Merry Christmas. I'm so glad I simply couldn't go rather than being able to but choosing to go after retail holiday hell.

Last edited:

I'll reword my post. I am not going to work my shift Saturday. That's already decided. The only question is, do I give them any lead time in knowing or just call off the night before?

Now, I'll address the planning. In the past year, I've been asked to adjust my scheduled time more times than I can count. "We decided to work overnight, can you come in." Etc. So one day of me adjusting will not break Target. To insinuate that I'm the stressor at Target is laughable.

I worked as a chef for 20 years.
Gave up so many holidays and birthdays that is was ridiculous.
My daughters joke that they didn't realize everyone didn't have the holidays on different days from the ones on the calendar until they were teenagers.
Or that dad come in late to every party.

Just about everyone in the restaurant business can tell you the same story.
Would I fix that so I could have birthdays with my kids.
Of course I fucking would.

If you are ‘asked’ to take a day off (that you are on the schedule for) to save payroll, would using sick time hours to compensate for time lost be approved ?
i’m not taking a day if it’s marked as a call out and I’m not paid sick time.

If you are ‘asked’ to take a day off (that you are on the schedule for) to save payroll, would using sick time hours to compensate for time lost be approved ?
You can’t use sick time but they also can’t force you to not work. They can strongly request, but not force if you’re on the schedule

They’ll simply delete your shift, it won’t count as an attendance issue. @Amanda Cantwell is correct that you cannot use sick pay; however, you may use personal holiday/vacation/well being to bring your hours up to average.

alright guys so heres the thing

i hurt my back today by sitting in a bad posture for 30 min

and the pain is absolutely unbearable. i went to my chiro and he cracked me like a glo stick and then i came home and iced it

and everything was fine until the numbness went away and i discovered the pain is similar to the pain i felt before i went to the chiro the first time

im literally screaming in pain, i tried to walk to my door when my brother knocked and fell over from the pain, then had to crawl back to my bed bcos the pain was so bad i couldnt get up to walk

i was thinking asking my coworkers to take my shift tomorrow but id probably get better mileage using sick hours. but if i tell them its back problems will they require some kinda note? i had similar issues before i started seeing a chiro and id show up to work in pain and theyd be like "well u dont have a doctors note soooo hf w the push" and lemme tell u those days were absolute hell

Back