I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I don't understand why people NCNS. A phone call takes what maybe 2-3 minutes?

Sometimes you copy the schedule down wrong, sometimes you just plain mix them up, and sometimes they change the schedule during your two days off in a row. There are lots of reasons and we have been told that Spot will no longer call people that are late. It's resulted in the biggest drain of people. Not because of the no-call no-shows but the refusal to call people in and not dump the work onto other people.

Goddammit. Forever with the schedule changes. HOW ****ING HARD IS IT TO HAVE THE DECENCY TO INFORM YOUR EMPLOYEES THAT YOU'VE CHANGED SOMETHING!

Our store calls also. And with the schedule they post a sign at both time clocks that the schedule has been revised and a note on the schedule itself. They just had to cut hours last week and this week due to not making sales.

My store doesn't call at all. It surprises me because it seems like the decent thing to do. You never know if something is wrong and at least then you know, especially if the person won't be in for a few shifts and can't call in.
My old store would call, though.

This is why I have all the numbers of my fellow team members.

If I don't see them for 30 minutes, I ask my Logistics ETL or TL if they called out. If not, then I call them to make sure they're ok, overslept, or they called last night (communication in my store sucks).

This is why I have all the numbers of my fellow team members.

If I don't see them for 30 minutes, I ask my Logistics ETL or TL if they called out. If not, then I call them to make sure they're ok, overslept, or they called last night (communication in my store sucks).

This. I've saved the asses of quite a few people, and not just people that I liked. If you're going to get termed under my watch, it was going to be because of performance. I'd rather have you here barely doing your job, rather than call out or not show up.

My store sets the schedule and posts on Thursday. That is the schedule you copy it down when posted and follow it. If they change it after that you, the TM have to agree to it. I have had hours added to my work week but they never change the wall schedule just the computer schedule and only after agree. I have never had hours subtracted.

This sounds unusual to me that your schedules are changed after the Thursday posting and you all just accept it.

I agree!!!! I have worked at Target for six years and have never had a NCNS. Do you unnderstand what a burden it is for everyone else when you do that?? No excuses outside of a coma are acceptable!!!!!
Entire family was mutilated by a serial killer and you've been put in protective custody. No outside contact.

Checkmate.
You were caught shopping at a Wally World in your spot clothing, they took you captive and tattooed you with a big yellow happy on your forehead. You are attempting to get a quote on the cost to have it removed and forgot you were on the schedule

So what are some of the worst reasons you have heard someone use or you have used yourself to call out.

Others:

Tooth hurts

No clean kaki pants

No clean red shirt

Called a taxi and it has not shown yet so they are not coming in at all.

Their boyfriends sisters father in law is in the hospital. Nope no babysitting involved just can't come in because they are going to visit at the hospital.

Going to a wake of a friends grandparent that evening so calling out for morning shift
--

I have called out a few times but only for a death of an immediate family member or because I was losing my cookies or stuck in the bathroom.

I know a few tms who call out "sick" but just go party

For myself eh
I have trouble sleeping so when I wake up at 3:00AM, after only having one hour of sleep, I get the urge to just call in. Of course I suck it up and go, but I wish I could call out and use sleep as an excuse.

The no clean uniform is hilarious. I've called out once and that's only because I got hit hard with a stomach virus. After coming in all week feeling queasy and dizzy all day, everday, I finally collapsed on the fifth day, was throwing up nonstop, and literally couldn't walk without shaking. Was not fun. ._.

my most obnoxious one was....my brother in law came in as a surprise and was only going to be with us for 5 hours...the same hours I was working. So I called out...the only time I have called out where they followed bp and didn't ask why. The other 4 times have been for genuinely being sick and/or migraines.

the transportation one is big around here...I did have to call and say I would be late because of a dang cab being late. But I always try and go in early on the days I have to take a taxi....except my research days...nowhere to go if I am early to a 6:30 shift.

In 12 years of working at the Bullseye I have called out a total of four times. Twice because I was snowed in, once because I had three school papers due the next day (and being the typical student I was at the time I hadn't started any of them), and once because I had the flu (and it took some serious prodding from my parents for me to do it... I was going to go in).

Although having to deal with attendance as much as I did as GSTL I heard some good ones... the two best were one cashier called out because she spilled soda on her pants and couldn't come in because she had no clean khakis, and then there was one that called out because he HAD to go to a MLB baseball game. Needless to say the two TMs in question no longer work for the company.

To prove they can't do it without me. Just means I have twice as much to do the next day, but at least I prove my point.

If they changed the schedule while you were gone and didn't ask you about it or even let you know, then you should be in the clear. If you have your original schedule written down and you were off, they can't really put you on CA for NCNS. As far as you knew you weren't supposed to be there. If your ETL tries to put you on CA I would argue against it. Take your original schedule to HR if they won't listen to you.

We have a couple of concert series around here & there's ALWAYS a slew of call-outs during that time.
The ultimate "busted" moment came from a cart attendant who called out sick but was spotted mugging it up in the stands of a televised football game for a local university.
Since it was hardly his first time, he was next promoted to guest.

I tried to call out because a tree fell on my house once... The town condemned my house until the tree could be removed and I couldn't get in to get my work clothes...

They still talked me into coming in, and requisitioned me an entire work outfit, plus dinner for being a champ about it... =P

I tried to call out because a tree fell on my house once... The town condemned my house until the tree could be removed and I couldn't get in to get my work clothes...

They still talked me into coming in, and requisitioned me an entire work outfit, plus dinner for being a champ about it... =P

Wow!

One of the things with a NCNS is that if you don't call in before two hours prior to your shift, you still get marked as a NCNS. Say that you have to be in at 8am.....you have to call at six. There are days when you don't feel well and decide that you'll wait until the alarm rings to decide if you'll go in.....but you usually don't set the clock for two hours before you go in.
Or, if you are on your way to work and there's a car accident, or you have car issues, then it is too late to call in....and even if you do (to say that you are on your way) you still will be marked as coming in late. So, sometimes I can easily see why people don't call in.

Often, at my store someone will call off but the LOD may forget to tell anyone else that a TM called off. Sometimes we don't know that someone called off until they don't show up for their shift.....and then we ask if anyone knows about "TM X" and the LOD says, "Oh, I forgot to tell you that X called off.

Back